• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If you were considering a CMP 1911, they just put out the information for Round 4. They are now allowing people to apply for a second 1911. Details here.

The application window will close at the end of September. The same PITA process, too. It's still collector pricing - if you want a shooter, there are cheaper options on the commercial market. But CMP has never overpriced their guns.

SigFan

NRA Life Member MSI Supporter
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 18, 2007
    I saw that earlier today, I got one this year so I have to sit this one out, no fun.

SigFan

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I don't understand the cmp 1911 appeal. Garands, sure, no one has made those. But there are so many better 1911s produced commercially, and the ones being sold through cmp don't seem like anything to collect.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    If the CMP and md didn't make it such a hassle I would have bought one. For the feds to ignore a C&R license, which comes from the feds, is just idiotic and drives up the cost as I have to pay a transfer fee which I should not have to do.

Jul 1, 2012
    I don't understand the cmp 1911 appeal. Garands, sure, no one has made those. But there are so many better 1911s produced commercially, and the ones being sold through cmp don't seem like anything to collect.
    On the other hand, if CMP wasn't offering these, they would no doubt be destroyed. It's a lot cheaper way to get a military-issue 1911. Not my cup of tea (I'd rather have an all-original) but it does satisfy a need or they wouldn't be selling. The whole "luck of the draw" lacks appeal to me also. I'm guessing that the demand has dropped off significantly (Round 3 extended, and now allowing a 2nd one).

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    On the other hand, if CMP wasn't offering these, they would no doubt be destroyed. It's a lot cheaper way to get a military-issue 1911. Not my cup of tea (I'd rather have an all-original) but it does satisfy a need or they wouldn't be selling. The whole "luck of the draw" lacks appeal to me also. I'm guessing that the demand has dropped off significantly (Round 3 extended, and now allowing a 2nd one).
    It's a worthwhile program just to prevent the government from destroying them

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland
    Got one this year; i have to say I’ve been pretty happy with it. Mine seems unmolested (for the most part) and the price was reasonable. It’s nice to have a piece of history and serve as a caretaker of it until the next generation can appreciate it.

If I were eligible for another this year I would grab one so I have another to pass on to my second son.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I don’t know anyone specifically buying them to be heavy use shooters. The 70s and 80s rebuild marked 1911s are collectible just like 60s rebuild marked Garands have gotten in the past few years. Those late rebuild variations of 1911s from Anniston, Albany, and Barstow were previously nonexistent on the market.

FOIA requests turn up some with USMC and US Special Forces provenance, which have decent collector followings. I’ve seen a few people specifically desiring Navy provenance too.

Some people have gotten original finish and/or correct and original parts guns. The price certainly comes/came in under what a similar example is on the open market.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    So, you never Served? My old a$$ did, carrying a 1911(A1) around the world. While the M1 did serve on two-way ranges 1941-1965ish (Navy used some much later). The 1911 served earlier and longer.
    Maybe I'll get lucky and get one I carried or Dad's or Granddad's.

Yes, if you don't want real history, you can buy a $400 Philippine made one. An Garands have been made (cast) by recent manufactures.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    So, you never Served? My old a$$ did, carrying a 1911(A1) around the world. While the M1 did serve on two-way ranges 1941-1965ish (Navy used some much later). The 1911 served earlier and longer.
    Maybe I'll get lucky and get one I carried or Dad's or Granddad's.

Yes, if you don't want real history, you can buy a $400 Philippine made one. An Garands have been made (cast) by recent manufactures.
    No, I didn't serve, and no, I don't understand keeping history, personally. I guess that's more the question, why spend money on a chance it would be related to you, and instead get a really nice one that not only reminds you of your service but also has value as a shooter.

My generation doesn't collect anything. I've been fighting against many attempts to fill my house with "history" from people you're age, who collected all this stuff, then just let it collect dust. Just having trouble wrapping my head around the nostalgia.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I wouldn't mind having one and have all the docs to provide the proof needed. That said it sure seems like a PITA to put an application together and maybe not even get a draw. I sent in papers years ago when they had a draw for a Carbine. I didn't get picked and I really wanted one. I think I'll pass on this and spend the cash if I choose to on a new fishing sonar unit like the Humminbird 360

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    No, I didn't serve, and no, I don't understand keeping history, personally. I guess that's more the question, why spend money on a chance it would be related to you, and instead get a really nice one that not only reminds you of your service but also has value as a shooter.

My generation doesn't collect anything. I've been fighting against many attempts to fill my house with "history" from people you're age, who collected all this stuff, then just let it collect dust. Just having trouble wrapping my head around the nostalgia.
    Either you get it or you don't.
    It's all good either way.

Lafayette

Not that kind of doctor
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2021
    Maryland

Everyone has their own perspective on history. One man’s trash is another’s treasure, I suppose.

I look at artifacts as touchstones to an era or a particular point in time that brings that history back to life in some tangible way. I figure those that forget history are bound to repeat it for better or worse. Sure some things have more impact than others…I will never forget holding a daguerreotype of my great-great-great-great grandfather from 1848, walking through the Holocaust museum and seeing the shoes, or seeing my great-great-grandfather’s house in Peshtigo, Wisconsin - one of the only structures to survive the firestorm that killed more than the Chicago fire (which happened the same night.)

Thing is you never know what item no matter how insignificant will affect you or a future generation. Deciding what trash to keep and what to throw out is a struggle, isn’t it?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

Collecting vs. not collecting is not really a strictly generational thing at this point though. What each generation chooses to collect is different.

If you’re referring to millennials and zoomers, our peers like GWOT M4s, KAC, FALs, H&Ks, and combloc collecting right now.

Jul 1, 2012
    I wouldn't mind having one and have all the docs to provide the proof needed. That said it sure seems like a PITA to put an application together and maybe not even get a draw. I sent in papers years ago when they had a draw for a Carbine. I didn't get picked and I really wanted one. I think I'll pass on this and spend the cash if I choose to on a new fishing sonar unit like the Humminbird 360
    I'm with you on the PITA factor, but I think there's a 99.9% chance if you submit the application, you'll get one.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I love MilSurps and I guess you could say the mystery that goes along with them.

Holding a CMP 1911A1, Japanese Nambu, German PP, etc.. and just wondering where it may have been, who else has held it and what that gun may have done fascinates me.

The CMP sales is the only way I know of to get an actual, Govt issued, 1911A1 without giving up a kidney.

As for shooting 1911's, I have a new Springfield MilSpec for that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom