• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I use the Dillon corn cob since it seems to be the finest ground media I can find and it doesn't stick on the primer holes if I de-prime before tumbling.

I use Flitz and Frankford Arsenal liquid polish and have had good luck with both.

Teflon

Aug 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I think it is accepted that walnut does a better job of cleaning and corn cob does a better job of polishing.

I have done 1/2 and 1/2 and it works fine. Just need to change it out when it get dirty.

How do you decide when it's dirty enough it needs changed? And this is open to anyone who wants to weigh in on this one, not just Topher....

My walnut media is pretty old, and I've done several thousand rounds with it, but it's never been changed. Still seems to get the job done.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    How do you decide when it's dirty enough it needs changed? And this is open to anyone who wants to weigh in on this one, not just Topher....

My walnut media is pretty old, and I've done several thousand rounds with it, but it's never been changed. Still seems to get the job done.

When it stops getting the job done. Mine was grey and leaving deposits when I finally changed it. Night and day!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The same here.

Also, I will take the old media and put it in a plastic bag. and then load fresh media. If the cleaning is a LOT faster, I toss the old. If it is only marginally better, I will go back to the old media.

And you can recharge the media. I use Dillon Polish. Add a capful or two to old media and it starts working better again.

But there is a point where it doesn't help.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    How do you all keep the media/polish out of the primer pocket.
    Wet tumble with SS pins.. lol

For that reason alone, I am not going back to dry with walnut, the pins do a much better job and for me, at least, the process is way faster.. Less time in the tumbler, no dealing with primer pockets at all (cleaning or removing media that got stuck in the flash hole) and cleaner brass when I'm done..

wiseguy813

Jul 11, 2011
    Lexington Park, MD

For that reason alone, I am not going back to dry with walnut, the pins do a much better job and for me, at least, the process is way faster.. Less time in the tumbler, no dealing with primer pockets at all (cleaning or removing media that got stuck in the flash hole) and cleaner brass when I'm done..

I agree. Although I get 2 pins stuck in the primer hole but the most I've had in a batch was 4 cases that needed to be cleared. 3 hours in the tumbler and 10 minutes to separate (which gives me hands on view on every case) and process is done

Sent from somewhere

Hickory

Dec 18, 2013
    McHenry, Md
    Double Action Rotary Sifter

I use fine corn cob media and Nu Finish (when I remember to add it). I bought the media at the Harrisburg show and it is very fine. Cleans brass with a fine luster perhaps not as bright as some shown on this thread.
    My "tumblers" (gotta come up with a better term since mostly what we are describing is a vibrator) don't have the media exchange feature so I bought a cheap Double Action Rotary Sifter from MidSouth for $20. Now that sure saves time! No more banging each case; just dump media and brass into the sifter, crank the handle a few times and it is done. I still inspect each case before loading but that is SOP.
    BTW, the sifter is all plastic so rubbing a dryer sheet inside the body of the case prevents the media from sticking to it.
    I did try rice and was not impressed especially after it packed several cases and was difficult to remove.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I finally got to tumble some brass using a real tumbler instead of the dryer :)

Here is the before and after shots. The after shot still has the dust of the walnut media on it. I tumbled for about 2 hours then tumbled for another hour with some Nu Finish car polish. I rinsed with some soapy water afterwards. I also got yelled at for using the wife's colander. :D

Attachments

• before.JPG
      before.JPG
      14.5 KB · Views: 107
    • after.JPG
      after.JPG
      18 KB · Views: 105

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    I finally got to tumble some brass using a real tumbler instead of the dryer :) Here is the before and after shots. The after shot still has the dust of the walnut media on it. I tumbled for about 2 hours then tumbled for another hour with some Nu Finish car polish. I rinsed with some soapy water afterwards. I also got yelled at for using the wife's colander. :D

In every .233/5.56 case there's a 300BLK case waiting to get out...

Doc

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

But then you have to deal with drying the cases. :)

For cleaning, I am in corn cob media for 15 - 20 minutes. 2 minutes to separate the media and cases. And I am done and loading.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co

For cleaning, I am in corn cob media for 15 - 20 minutes. 2 minutes to separate the media and cases. And I am done and loading.
    True, but... I am always ahead of my needs for brass, so when I am working brass, it's for future use, not right now, so the time factor isn't an issue fo rme.. pop em on a cookied sheet, 2 beers later they are done and ready to put away.. ;)

I also tumble them for a few hours to get em shiny and the primer pockets cleaned. I know you don't have to, but I do anyway.. lol

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you have the time, and like really shining brass. It is the way to go.

But I don't care about super shiny.

And I may process several thousand cases at a time.

ultraplanet

Shooter
    Jan 10, 2013
    Swanton

Mine gets about half an hour in straight corn cob. I was beginning to think I was crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom