• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My rifle brass gets super shiny on the second tumble run. I initially tumble the brass to get the crap off, use spray lube and resize/decap the brass, then run it through the tumbler again to get the lube off. The brass is nice and shiny when this is done.

As for media in the primer pocket, I use the primer pocket cleaner tool to get the media out and clean the pockets after the second tumble run.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    For me, brass gets it's initial tumbling in either walnut shells (lizard bedding) or in corncob media.

Lube, then sized.

Back into the tumbler for final polish (Lyman "Tuff-Nut") and lube removal, then on to trimming (rifle cases) and loading.

7.62x51 after final tumbling:

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I think it is accepted that walnut does a better job of cleaning and corn cob does a better job of polishing.

I have done 1/2 and 1/2 and it works fine. Just need to change it out when it get dirty.

DocSavage

The Man of Bronze
    May 30, 2012
    Crofton
    I used to tumble in lizard bedding... Wish I would have found stainless media sooner!
    image-3700316591.jpg

Cleans the inside and out...
    image-1714060889.jpg

Even cleans those pesky primer holes!
    image-731860691.jpg

Not for everyone, wet tumbling does the best job, but involves a bit more work!

Cheers,

Doc

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It doesn't shoot any better than brass that is just clean. :)

Up to you. But I am fine with corn cob media tumbling and have for years. But I reload to shoot, not to look at. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do you use the paste polish? I didn't see any liquid in the store but I have some paste.

Mix with some solvent and make it into a liquid.

I would try MEK or acetone, as both evaporate quickly. Maybe alcohol (denatured or 90+% isopropyl). Xylene or mineral spirts are also possibilities.

wiseguy813

Jul 11, 2011
    Lexington Park, MD

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    On a rare occasion I will use walnut in a vibratory tumbler. Just when I am in a hurry and don't want to wait for the brass to dry after wet tumbling, or have it in the oven for a half hour. The dust and shake out of media makes it nearly as much of a hassle as wet tumbling for me. I prefer to run big batches in my 15 pound rotary tumbler. Clean as a whistle and purty.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/stm-complete-package-2.html

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I actually have taken to cutting up nylon scrubbing pads and adding it to the the walnut, only drawback is it is time consuming to cut the pad into small pieces.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Corn cob (less dust), media separator (I have a Dillon), and a LOT less time and effort than dealing with wet cleaning.

And the ability to tumble loaded rounds to remove lube (progressive) or fingerprints to prevent corrosion.

To each his own.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Rice makes a low cost alternative for media. Doesn't stick in the flash holes and does a pretty good job of cleaning out the primer pockets. I've had better success with it than lizard litter (walnut media). Add a little bit of polish of your choice, and it'll be nice and shiny.

One note of advice, avoid the common "brass cleaners" like brasso. They have ammonia and it can weaken the metal.

Also, you really don't need your brass to be blindingly bright. It serves no purpose for accuracy...just looks shiny and new is all. As long as they are clean and won't damage your dies or chamber, that's all you really need.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Once I found out that cleaning primer pockets was pretty much a waste of time, I don't tumble as much anymore.

As long as the plinking cases are tumbled clean of grit, they get used. No need to be sparkling.

As for match ammo cases, they get the full treatment. Just for OCD's sake.

I use walnut for cleaning dirty cases. After sizing (rifle), I throw them into another tumbler with corn-cob media for a few minutes to remove the lube. This keeps the walnut media crisp for scrubbing. Over-thinking it? Maybe, but it makes me feel all fuzzy inside.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom