• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yotaboy24

Mar 12, 2009
    So I have been tumbling my brass for 4 hrs and it is noticeably cleaner, however it's not as good as most peoples I see on the net. I'm using a frankford arsenal tumbler and walnut media for lizards beds and am thinking maybe that is the problem. I have seen other people add dish soap to the media but have not tried it yet. What does everybody think about doing that?

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I use lizard litter to tumble.
    Add some polish called Flitz to make the brass shine.

If you need to reduce the amount of dust add a dryer sheet to the media while tumbling.

Good luck.

C

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I use lizard litter to tumble.
    Add some polish called Flitz to make the brass shine.

If you need to reduce the amount of dust add a dryer sheet to the media while tumbling.

Good luck.

C

+1 on the Flitz, that's what I use also.
    I'm gonna have to try the dryer sheet.
    You using a new or used sheet?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Agree on Flitz... They sell a brass tumbling formula for tumblers. Looks like this:

816895.jpg

Dont use Flitz paste in tumblers, it takes too long to spread into the media. When you add the liquid Flitz, let the tumbler run with just the media (no brass) for about 10- 15 minutes until the media is no longer clumpy. Otherwise the media gets caked inside your brass, and is harder to get out.

Flitz makes a few different products. If you cannot find the brass tumbler media polish, orginal Flitz formula in liquid form works well too.

I hadnt had too much luck with dryer sheets. Usally wetting the media with polish keeps the dust down.

Be carefull with adding other polishes to your media. Stay away from Brasso, or any cleaners containing ammonia (Brasso does!) as it reacts to the copper in brass, and imbrittles it.

Last edited:

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    +1 on the Flitz, that's what I use also.
    I'm gonna have to try the dryer sheet.
    You using a new or used sheet?

New Dryer sheet.
    You can also user a dryer sheet to clean some of the dirt out of the media.
    It does okay ... Not a miracle worker but will make a marginal difference.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Agree on Flitz... They sell a brass tumbling formula for tumblers. Looks like this:

816895.jpg

Dont use Flitz paste in tumblers, it takes too long to spread into the media. When you add the liquid Flitz, let the tumbler run with just the media (no brass) for about 10- 15 minutes until the media is not longer clumpy. Otherwise the media gets caked inside your brass, and is harder to get out.

Flitz makes a few different products. If you cannot find the brass tumbler media polish, orginal Flitz formula in liquid form works well too.

I hadnt had too much luck with dryer sheets. Usally wetting the media with polish keeps the dust down.

Be carefull with adding other polishes to your media. Stay away from Brasso, or any cleaners containing ammonia (Brasso does!) as it reacts to the copper in brass, and imbrittles it.

Yes. This.:party29:
    I use the paste in the little tubes and never had a problem and the brass looks like new.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I use mothers wheel polish because I could never find flitz in stores locally it works well.

I have cut dryer sheets and tossed them in seemed to help with the dust.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I also add a couple of table spoons of mineral spirits to the mix to hold down the dust.
    It has been my experience that I get a better polish using corn cob media with either Dillon's brass polish or Frankford Arsenal brass polish (never tried Flitz), the walnut gives a duller finish.
    I don't like the walnut media treated with jeweler's rouge because the rouge gets onto everything.
    I also rarely tumble more than 2 hours unless I walk away and forget the tumbler(it sits on the parking pad in front of the garage so less fire danger).
    My end point is brass which will not scour my dies or firearms, I like shiny but don't obsess over it.
    DocAitch

Last edited:

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I also add a couple of table spoons of mineral spirits to the mix to hold down the dust.
    It has been my experience that I get a better polish using corn cob media with either Dillon's brass polish or Frankford Arsenal brass polish (never tried Flitz), the walnut gives a duller finish.
    I don't like the walnut media treated with jeweler's rouge because the rouge gets onto everything.
    DocAitch

I agree with the cob media. I prefer it over walnut. Lyman Green treated cob media works well. I just buy that stuff, and not worry about the small difference in price.

A rule of thumb walnut is a better cleaner, corn cob is a better polisher.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Just a thought. Two sets of cleaner material. One for the dirty brass, one for cleaner. Once you have stanked up the media. Put the brass in fresh media. I think you will see a difference. Rolling brass in its own dirt will only get you so far.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    That's what I currently use half and half with mothers wheel polish

Does it seem to work better than just one media or the other, or can't you really tell?

I've not had a problem with my brass not being shiny and also clean with the walnut, it seems to be somewhere between fine to medium grit.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use corn cob media. And Dillon polish.

I just want to get the brass clean to protect my dies, I don't care about a high polish.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Does it seem to work better than just one media or the other, or can't you really tell?

I've not had a problem with my brass not being shiny and also clean with the walnut, it seems to be somewhere between fine to medium grit.

Don't notice a huge difference though the walnut is much finer. I have a digital timer so I push a button and walk away and it runs for 3 hours and it usually come out looking like new. I will go take a few pics.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    How do you all keep the media/polish out of the primer pocket.

Tumble the brass before depriming/sizing. This will also help keep your dies clean.

I use 2 tumblers one for walnut lizard media and one for lyman corncob media. Dirty brass goes into the walnut first, gets seperated and inspected then into the corncob for a bright shine. To shut the tumblers off I have a old darkroom timer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom