CITIZEN GROUPS UNITE TO CHALLENGE MARYLAND FIREARMS BAN IN THE U.S. DISTRICT COURT

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If the State Police get slapped with a restraining order, will U.S. Marshals (or County Sheriffs) swoop down on the Barracks and seize all their guns?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    According to the news report

The case is Doe v. O’Malley, 13-cv-2861, U.S. District Court, Maryland (Baltimore).

Yesterday’s complaint is Tardy v. O’Malley, 13-cv-2841, U.S. District Court, Maryland (Baltimore).

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    38649506.jpg

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    For now, let's relax and wait rather than speculate.....

Dude, it's Friday, my old company effed up the direct deposit for my last week worked for them so I wait until Monday for an actual check; the first check from my new company is an actual check before direct deposit kicks in, I went with a buddy to Bollinger's right after work to do papers on some lowers and didn't get the mail with the new company's check until 8 PM........I got nothing to do BUT relax for now.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    Anyone who looks at this lawsuit being a slam dunk, we get a hearing and the law goes away, has not been following constitutional law cases. Neither side will give up on this until it goes all the way to the top and all the possibilities exhausted. This is just the opening shot of a case/cases that will be moving through the courts for years an years.

Any legal experts care to give an opinion of when this may be ultimately resolved? Three years/ Five/ More?

Still waiting for the fat lady to sing on Woollard.

Almost certainly before this gets to the Supremes some of the people of the court will have changed. That is why the next presidential election is vital.

True, the fat lady hasn't sung YET, but without a lawsuit and progress towards that end, it wouldn't happen at all.

This may be the beginning of the end for either side.

It will likely take several years to be able to draw any conclusions.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    The CORE right of 2A, self defense in the home, is not up for rational basis or even intermediate scrutiny. Strict scrutiny only.

U.S. courts apply the strict scrutiny standard in two contexts, when a fundamental constitutional right is infringed,[1] particularly those found in the Bill of Rights and those the court has deemed a fundamental right protected by the Due Process Clause or "liberty clause" of the 14th Amendment, or when a government action applies to a "suspect classification" such as race or, sometimes, national origin.

To pass strict scrutiny, the law or policy must satisfy three tests:
    It must be justified by a compelling governmental interest. While the Courts have never brightly defined how to determine if an interest is compelling, the concept generally refers to something necessary or crucial, as opposed to something merely preferred. Examples include national security, preserving the lives of multiple individuals, and not violating explicit constitutional protections.

The law or policy must be narrowly tailored to achieve that goal or interest. If the government action encompasses too much (overbroad) or fails to address essential aspects of the compelling interest, then the rule is not considered narrowly tailored.

The law or policy must be the least restrictive means for achieving that interest, that is, there cannot be a less restrictive way to effectively achieve the compelling government interest. The test will be met even if there is another method that is equally the least restrictive. Some legal scholars consider this "least restrictive means" requirement part of being narrowly tailored, though the Court generally evaluates it separately.

Narrowly tailored??? SB281????

LMAO.

So, do I read the above as "we have no definition for it, but we know it when we see it?"

Sorry...I had to....:lol2:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    What is depressing is that the administration will use our tax dollars against the plaintiffs which most of us support in one form or another.

While it is our money, do not forget that it is the liberal's money as well. And for now, there are more of them than there are of us in MD, so they are picking up the bulk of the tab. ;)

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    While it is our money, do not forget that it is the liberal's money as well. And for now, there are more of them than there are of us in MD, so they are picking up the bulk of the tab. ;)

How many of those liberal voters are "Tax Payers or welfare sponges or illegal ?" :innocent0

Knuckle66

One of the 365
    Mar 11, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I just finished reading this thread. I need to take some speed reading courses. lol

Thanks to everyone working behind the scenes. I know we are in good hands.

On a side note I just sent MSI another $50.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Seems like a pretty strong lawsuit, especially the part about retired law enforcement. Excellent work by all involved parties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom