• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    No one mentioned the Swiss surplus rifles, the K31 and the K11.
    Those are both very accurate, reliable, and still amazingly cheap. Like under $400, even under $300 if you shop around.

These are straight-pull bolt actions with 6 round magazines, chambered for 7.5 mm Swiss, which is a .308 class cartridge.

If you just want to blast cheap ammo at the range, and are happy with basketball sized groups 8 inches away from your aiming point, then a Mosin or an SKS will do the job. But if you want decent groups on target at 200 or 400 or 600 yards, then get a K31 while you still can.

If you still can.
    Great advice for someone looking for inexpensive quality that is reasonably accurate past 200 yards. Some opine if these rifles were built today, they would cost a couple thousand dollars to manufacture given the materials and workmanship.

As also said previously, a new bolt action rifle in 308, 30-06, etc from Ruger, Mossberg, or Savage can be found for $350-500 and provide a similar mid distance thrill.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Not the only source just the best value for the money. Not much choice because they are running out. CMP is their own FFL with special permission to ship direct it is not under C&R rules but you need to qualify which is easier than it sounds. Lots of options for CMP affiliated clubs and many ways to qualify for firearms activity.

M1 Grand Service Grade $730 delivered to your door in a hard case.
    http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Looks like current shipments are taking about a month. Visit the CMP Forum for more information:
    http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

Man, I wish I had the disposable income I had a few years ago. I'd pick a Service Grade up.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Man, I wish I had the disposable income I had a few years ago. I'd pick a Service Grade up.

If you hadn't disposed of it then you could buy guns now.:D

M1 Garands are bought with Investment Income.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA

I took a second job in college at minimum wage and bought four M1's and probably over 3k rounds of .30/06 from the CMP, among other things, haha. I've still got three of those M1's and over 1.5k rounds of the ammo. I still shoot one of the M1's and load my .30/06 on HXP brass from that ammo I shot, so it was definitely a solid investment.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If you hadn't disposed of it then you could buy guns now.:D

M1 Grands are bought with Investment Income.

I did dispose of it wisely, for the most part.

I picked up Garands for me and my grandfather, an 03 Springfield for my Grandfather and a .308 Garand that I haven't even shot yet, all from the CMP.

Plus some '06 ammo.

I'd like to have another, just because I'd like to have another. :D

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I took a second job in college at minimum wage and bought four M1's and probably over 3k rounds of .30/06 from the CMP, among other things, haha. I've still got three of those M1's and over 1.5k rounds of the ammo. I still shoot one of the M1's and load my .30/06 on HXP brass from that ammo I shot, so it was definitely a solid investment.

I wish I had bought more of the ammo, that's for sure.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I did dispose of it wisely, for the most part.

I picked up Garands for me and my grandfather, an 03 Springfield for my Grandfather and a .308 Garand that I haven't even shot yet, all from the CMP.

Plus some '06 ammo.

I'd like to have another, just because I'd like to have another. :D

Please sir can I have some more? I understand completely. By the way they are still selling HXP ammo.:innocent0

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One of these days soon I hope. I probably won't have the time to get the CMP requirements taken care of for at least a year or two and coincidently, I probably don't have the spare cash for a $700-800 service grade rifle, but the desire is strong in me.

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Well this thread sure did evolve quite a bit. I'll keep in mind those CMP M1's. Sorry again for the weird/sketchy thread lol. It really wasn't thought out, I wasn't expecting anymore than a couple links to aid my search for cheap M1's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I will begin selling Garands once again from my bloated inventory around mid October, but they are some of my more expensive rifles. They'll be a mix of International Harvesters, Springfield Armory, a SA made by Roland Beaver for match type work and a Pietro Berretta (PB) or two.

Prices will range from $1250 to $2100. I no longer have any entry level Garands. I am selling to reduce the holdings because of a medical condition that has ruined my lungs.

Send me an email if interested and outline your want(s), and I will responded, but I will not be able to provide pics till later this month.

Lew--Ranger63

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I will begin selling Garands once again from my bloated inventory around mid October, but they are some of my more expensive rifles. They'll be a mix of International Harvesters, Springfield Armory, a SA made by Roland Beaver for match type work and a Pietro Berretta (PB) or two.

Prices will range from $1250 to $2100. I no longer have any entry level Garands. I am selling to reduce the holdings because of a medical condition that has ruined my lungs.

Send me an email if interested and outline your want(s), and I will responded, but I will not be able to provide pics till later this month.

Lew--Ranger63

Damn - I should get another CMP Garand.

Diesel-Dad

Jun 25, 2016
    HARFORD COUNTY
    If camp stops taking orders does that mean they are sold out? Will they have that grade rifle available again? Or is that it?

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    If camp stops taking orders does that mean they are sold out? Will they have that grade rifle available again? Or is that it?

They sometimes stop taking orders while they catch up on their backlog.
    They day they actually run out you will know it. They will tell everyone.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    They could be "not accepting orders" for six weeks or six months; there's no knowing. Keep an eye on them, have your paperwork ready, and jump when they start accepting orders again.

You could sign up for their e-mail newsletter; that will help you stay on top of what's happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom