• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Thanks to all that commented. We are following up on many of your suggestions. I do have a few follow-up comments:

She shot several different handguns at a range this week. 9mm doesn’t make her flinch. Of those she was able to try (including my SIG 365X) her biggest challenge remains racking the slide. The springs are just too much for her. She tried a revolver as an alternative, but didn’t like the double action trigger pull on the first shot.

I was able to get her on a S&W 9mm EZ to try. She liked it very much. But before we make a decision I’d still like to try and find a PDP-F for her to handle. I probably won’t find both guns side-by-side which would be ideal, but if not that then at least sequentially. Not saying it’s between just those two, but at least she now has a better idea of what’s a good fit for her and what’s not.
    I still have my 9mm EZ Peformance Center for sale. Offer still stands, you free to try it any time you'd like. If you find a PDP somewhere, just come grab my Shield EZ to take to the range and shoot them side by side. No obligation or cost to use my Shield EZ.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Thanks to all that commented. We are following up on many of your suggestions. I do have a few follow-up comments:

She shot several different handguns at a range this week. 9mm doesn’t make her flinch. Of those she was able to try (including my SIG 365X) her biggest challenge remains racking the slide. The springs are just too much for her. She tried a revolver as an alternative, but didn’t like the double action trigger pull on the first shot.

I was able to get her on a S&W 9mm EZ to try. She liked it very much. But before we make a decision I’d still like to try and find a PDP-F for her to handle. I probably won’t find both guns side-by-side which would be ideal, but if not that then at least sequentially. Not saying it’s between just those two, but at least she now has a better idea of what’s a good fit for her and what’s not.
    1000047176.jpg

micro red dots aren't just for aiming. They make great ledges to yank on or to push against a hard object if someone has trouble manipulating a slide.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Anyone familiar with the Ruger Security 9?
    Mrs.Tex went to the gun show with me, handled a bunch, and this one fit her hand quite nicely. Unfortunately, none of the local ranges have one in rental. But I so see them for sale for exceptionally cheap (<$300!!)

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    You may also want to try a Walther CCP. We sell a lot of them to people who have a hard time racking the slide. On par with the Smith and Wesson EZ, minus the grip safety. The downsides are 8 round capacity and not optic ready.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Anyone familiar with the Ruger Security 9?
    Mrs.Tex went to the gun show with me, handled a bunch, and this one fit her hand quite nicely. Unfortunately, none of the local ranges have one in rental. But I so see them for sale for exceptionally cheap (<$300!!)
    We have the compact model.

If she can manage the slide, can handle the 9mm and can carry it, it is a reliable and affordable option. :thumbsup:

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I bought a CCP in 380 in February. It is very soft shooting, the slide racks easily, and fits my hand nicely. In my opinion it is not reliable enough for carry purposes. I have counted 13 failures to feed the last or next to last round out of 600 rounds fired. It has been back to Walther but it was not fixed.

I really want to love this gun but so far i have been disappointed this gun and with Walther service.

The above may have no bearing at all on the recommended Walther CCP in 9mm.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    I bought a CCP in 380 in February. It is very soft shooting, the slide racks easily, and fits my hand nicely. In my opinion it is not reliable enough for carry purposes. I have counted 13 failures to feed the last or next to last round out of 600 rounds fired. It has been back to Walther but it was not fixed.

I really want to love this gun but so far i have been disappointed this gun and with Walther service.

The above may have no bearing at all on the recommended Walther CCP in 9mm.
    Interesting; what type of ammunition were you using when it failed to feed?

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    Winchester (50 rounds - three failures), Federal (50 rounds, one failure) and Speer Lawman (400 rounds, 9 failures). All FMJ 95 grain.

Precision One XTP and New Republic were clean but i have only shot one box each of these. I am hoping these might be the ticket as the bullet shape is different.

Walther's suggestion is that i should keep testing. With so few failures they cannot attribute the failures to the gun itself.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    The Federal .380 is very round.

Winchester/Herter's are truncated cone.

Is the New Republic a JHP?

After 50+ rounds or so, our LCP II and LCP Max have had no failures with either and runs Sig V-Crown JHP without incident.

The newer PD 380ACP from Walther looks/feels nice. I hope it's reliable....

Last edited:

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Winchester (50 rounds - three failures), Federal (50 rounds, one failure) and Speer Lawman (400 rounds, 9 failures). All FMJ 95 grain.

Precision One XTP and New Republic were clean but i have only shot one box each of these. I am hoping these might be the ticket as the bullet shape is different.

Walther's suggestion is that i should keep testing. With so few failures they cannot attribute the failures to the gun itself.
    It sounds like it's finicky with certain ammo types.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    New republic is a FMJ but it is somewhat cone shaped.
    Yes, Federal is very round as is the Speer Lawman. The Winchester that i tried are FMJ flat nose.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    I can settle for finicky if I can find some ammo that works. I wouldn't claim success with the two brands that didn't have failures after only 50 rounds of each. Only after a few hundred rounds without a failure will I feel better about the gun.

rein217

MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2024
    Look at the Girsan MC14T Lady. It's a real beauty. And it's in 380. Also the LCP Max would probably be a good choice. But like previously mentioned have her shoot as many different as she can. She has to be comfortable with it

wingsfan

Feb 11, 2017
    Ceciltucky
    I've had Walther PPK/S', Sig Sauer P230 and Sig Sauer P232 all in .380 and none of them liked hollow point ammo. I got rid of all my .380 guns except my Colt .380 Government. Most of the Walther CCP's we sell are in 9mm. Haven't gotten any complaints about ammo yet. I understand the attraction to the .380 and it does have a place in carry guns, just not for me.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    I can settle for finicky if I can find some ammo that works. I wouldn't claim success with the two brands that didn't have failures after only 50 rounds of each. Only after a few hundred rounds without a failure will I feel better about the gun.
    Another consideration is to eliminate any possible magazine issues. Number them to see if the failure to feed happens with all magazines or just one.

She shot several different handguns at a range this week. 9mm doesn’t make her flinch. Of those she was able to try (including my SIG 365X) her biggest challenge remains racking the slide. The springs are just too much for her.
    Late response, but something for her to try...
    Grab the slide and push the grip forward. This is a lot easier on weaker hands than pulling the slide back. It doesn't make sense from a keyboard, but it works.
    Let me try to find a short video.

EDIT- Found a video. She starts explaining it at 2:45

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    View attachment 453162
    micro red dots aren't just for aiming. They make great ledges to yank on or to push against a hard object if someone has trouble manipulating a slide.
    Yep, extremely useful for those with weaker hands to use as a handstop
    Late response, but something for her to try...
    Grab the slide and push the grip forward. This is a lot easier on weaker hands than pulling the slide back. It doesn't make sense from a keyboard, but it works.
    Let me try to find a short video.

EDIT- Found a video. She starts explaining it at 2:45

Iv'e been showing family members who thought they were physically incapable of using glocks (or any semiauto) this method. All of them, age/arthritis and all, have been able to successfully manipulate full size and subcompact slides. Optics make it a breeze. Only change in that technique i've found helpful is to orient the hand so that the thumb is on the rear serrations pointing rearward. This puts the thumb through heel of hand in contact with the slide, oposed by the first knuckle of the fingers instead of the second, allowing for a much tighter grip. The extra hand contact from this hand orientation seems to make all the difference

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

No idea if this is helpful but want to mention it because it sounds similar. My wife had an Sig 226 with the Sig “short trigger” for her small hand. She kept having failure to feed jams on a couple visits with different ammo. I didn’t have the problem when I shot it so knew it had to be something she was doing.

Long story short, the Sig magazine had a small protruding lip on it at the bottom front. There was just enough play in the magazine that, if you used a loose grip, the recoil would rock back the gun just enough to cause your pinky to push down on the lip, pushing the magazine down so that the top round jammed against the feed ramp. Firm grip, problem gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom