• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Get her reading Pat Quigley's books. Pat is the Grande Dame of Women's Self Defense but she can teach the Boys something too

Mindset First and Foremost.

Your wife and maybe all you female relations will wind up picking the right gun or guns for them.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    How my female coworkers ever shot and carried a huge P229 w/2 spare mags around is beyond me :/ . They are now carrying G19s. Really no different.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Five shot .38 Special by Smith and Wesson or Taurus. Why? Reliable. More reliable than any auto for a new shooter. Accurate at the range she'd need it which is 1 inch to 5 yards. Powerful. Concealable. Most important is reliability. No auto is as reliable as a quality revolver with quality ammo.
    I'd go for a Colt Detective Special since you get one extra round. Of course they are no longer made so there is the https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/m206-38spl-6rd
    Of course semi-autos can be smaller, thinner (no wide cylinder), have a longer barrel and a slide to disperse some of the kick.

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    My wife likes her Glock G48.
    For woman who like Leggings and carrying, We The People Holsters has excellent made in the USA tactical legging. With and without belt loops. Lots of inconspicuous pockets.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Five shot .38 Special by Smith and Wesson or Taurus. Why? Reliable. More reliable than any auto for a new shooter. Accurate at the range she'd need it which is 1 inch to 5 yards. Powerful. Concealable. Most important is reliability. No auto is as reliable as a quality revolver with quality ammo.
    I'd say for any person not willing to invest the time in training and creating muscle memory, a revolver is a good choice. Not that they'll be able to hit anyone across the room but they could hit someone within arms reach. There's a lot to be said for picking up a gun and squeezing the trigger with no other buttons or levers to fool with.

dgapilot

May 13, 2013
    Frederick County
    My wife had trouble racking most everything she tried. Finally found a Kimber Micro 9, easy enough for her to handle.we’ve only been to the range once since she got it but I think she shoots better than me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    So my wife has finally decided to get her first (and most likely ever) handgun. I’ve told her that she can have anything she wants as long as it’s 9mm.

For myself, I know what feels good in my hands, and know how to select a handgun. FYI I like the full sized Berettas and SIGs for home defense, and I have a SIG 365X for concealed carry. But what I like most likely won’t be the right fit for her.

A good friend suggested the Walther model below for her. It claims to be specifically designed for women (grip size and trigger reach, decreased slide pull, etc.)

Does anyone have any experience with them? If so what do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've sold many PDP pistols to female shooters, and I highly recommend them. Correct, the F Model was designed for women; however, I know a few guys who carry them.

Regarding classes for female shooters, I do not recommend female instructor-led courses; the whole female instructor thing is essentially hype.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hype as far as female students needing to have female instructors .

Not hype so far as there are excellent instructors , who happen to also be female .

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Hype as far as female students needing to have female instructors .

Not hype so far as there are excellent instructors , who happen to also be female .
    Maybe in some basic handling instruction, sure. All of the female instructors in my agency were total failures. Sometimes you need a killer instinct and they just didn't have the right enthusiasm.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Maybe in some basic handling instruction, sure. All of the female instructors in my agency were total failures. Sometimes you need a killer instinct and they just didn't have the right enthusiasm.
    Maybe there are plenty of woman students/customers that don’t appreciate a killer instinct nor “enthusiasm?” :shrug:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Maybe there are plenty of woman students/customers that don’t appreciate a killer instinct nor “enthusiasm?” :shrug:
    The ability to stop a threat in a violent matter is the same, it doesn't differ from gender. Actually a woman has to be much tougher.
    If a woman wants a soft voice and tender handling, to learn a "woman's way", basic marksmanship, that's fine. I'm not bashing it. I've taught women and they were just fine.
    Like I said, all of our female instructors were shit and didn't have what it takes to teach people who need to shoot like the lives of others depended upon it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Exactly.

What’s good for female (or male) LEO training is not the same as basic or W&C training. (Where most of us are)
    It's all in the delivery. And yes it is the same. Shooting someone isn't different from male to female or career. Awareness, preparation, and willingness is the same across the board.
    So, you wouldn't want your wife to know the same training that professionals take? That makes no sense.
    And what I'm saying is that every female in my agency sucked at the knowledge transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom