• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    It's all in the delivery...
    And what I'm saying is that every female in my agency sucked at the knowledge transfer.
    Agreed- some were sidelined to training for all the wrong reasons.

In the civilian market, there are also many male instructors who treat female students poorly, some to the point of harassment.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living

In the civilian market, there are also many male instructors who treat female students poorly, some to the point of harassment.
    Even in sailing instruction there are women led training classes that emphasize "no yelling!"

I guess women get away with saying that to one another. :lol2:

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland

Many? Where? Who are they? Have you seen this?

I teach over sixteen classes, equating to many certifications; some classes have women attending them while others do not. I have never seen it; I would think it extremely rare if it happened.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

I teach over sixteen classes, equating to many certifications; some classes have women attending them while others do not. I have never seen it; I would think it extremely rare if it happened.
    Pretty sure that would be germane to just bad instructors altogether, not treating women differently than the men in the same class.
    I could also see it being reviews where women mistake whatever they experienced in a class.
    Hell, I have seen men who just couldn't understand anything very well and know that they blamed it on the instructor. Those types could also contribute to bad reviews.

Any instructor coming off like a drill instructor to any gender in their class are absolute losers. If there are any.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I have seen this in military and LE training. Some instructors get disciplined or fired for sexual harassment.

Other info comes from women we know, who have experienced groping, inappropriate comments, etc.

Note that "many" does not mean "all." One hopes that we are improving over time.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    So my wife has finally decided to get her first (and most likely ever) handgun. I’ve told her that she can have anything she wants as long as it’s 9mm.

For myself, I know what feels good in my hands, and know how to select a handgun. FYI I like the full sized Berettas and SIGs for home defense, and I have a SIG 365X for concealed carry. But what I like most likely won’t be the right fit for her.

A good friend suggested the Walther model below for her. It claims to be specifically designed for women (grip size and trigger reach, decreased slide pull, etc.)

Does anyone have any experience with them? If so what do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I’ve got a S&W Shield EZ Performance Center in 9mm for sale. Even if you:her don’t buy it, you’re welcome to come try it / shoot it at no cost no pressure, just supply the ammo. Can meet you at Cindy’s Hot Shots 2 in Odenton

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Thanks to all that commented. We are following up on many of your suggestions. I do have a few follow-up comments:

She shot several different handguns at a range this week. 9mm doesn’t make her flinch. Of those she was able to try (including my SIG 365X) her biggest challenge remains racking the slide. The springs are just too much for her. She tried a revolver as an alternative, but didn’t like the double action trigger pull on the first shot.

I was able to get her on a S&W 9mm EZ to try. She liked it very much. But before we make a decision I’d still like to try and find a PDP-F for her to handle. I probably won’t find both guns side-by-side which would be ideal, but if not that then at least sequentially. Not saying it’s between just those two, but at least she now has a better idea of what’s a good fit for her and what’s not.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Thanks to all that commented. We are following up on many of your suggestions. I do have a few follow-up comments:

She shot several different handguns at a range this week. 9mm doesn’t make her flinch. Of those she was able to try (including my SIG 365X) her biggest challenge remains racking the slide. The springs are just too much for her. She tried a revolver as an alternative, but didn’t like the double action trigger pull on the first shot.

I was able to get her on a S&W 9mm EZ to try. She liked it very much. But before we make a decision I’d still like to try and find a PDP-F for her to handle. I probably won’t find both guns side-by-side which would be ideal, but if not that then at least sequentially. Not saying it’s between just those two, but at least she now has a better idea of what’s a good fit for her and what’s not.
    You don't need to find the F Series; the PDP models are all similar. I've shown the PDP to many women, and none had issues with racking the slide.

IronEye

MDS Supporter
    Feb 10, 2018
    Howard County
    The FN Reflex is very similar in size to the SIG P365. Being hammer fired it is supposedly easier to rack than the SIG P365. I have no personal experience with the Reflex but it might be worth a look.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    She tried a revolver as an alternative, but didn’t like the double action trigger pull on the first shot.

:) ( only 70% humor)
    Screenshot_20240205-172152_Chrome.jpg

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I used to think revolvers were the solution to hand strength issues, but I'm not so sure that technique on an auto is better. I took a female friend shooting, who has some ongoing health issues and not much strength. Reaching over the top and doing the "push-pull," she was able to rack a variety of slides (striker and hammer). It wasn't confident or graceful, but she got it done.
    She really really struggled with the revolvers, which I was not expecting. She couldn't do the double action pull...not at all. The finger strength (hindered by the long reach) just wasn't there. She couldn't even cock the hammer with either thumb. She ended up using her support hand over the top (with the meat below her pinky on the hammer) and essentially doing the "push-pull" that worked on the autos.

Sounds crazy, I know. I would have been skeptical, but I saw it with my own eyes.

Maybe a sturdy red dot would help get even more purchase for reaching over the top to "push-pull" :shrug:

Also, while it is important to be able to rack the slide overall, how often is it needed with a carry gun? My carry gun has had the same round in pipe since sometime last summer. I probably should clean it sometime...and maybe run a couple of rounds through it just to be sure (I practice with its twin to at least keep me a little sharp)...but :shrug: Unless it malfunctions, I've got 13 rounds before I would need to rack it. I would take those odds over a revolver that I might not even be able to pull the trigger. Plus, what kind of accuracy do you get in an already stressful situation if you have to struggle to cock the hammer or even pull the trigger?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    My wife spent considerable time fondling a Glock 43x during our last trip to a gun store. I suggest you take her to one or more stores and let her see how different guns feel in her hand, and how well she does racking the slide. Renting and shooting different guns at the range may save you/her from buying a gun she dislikes.

This is the way.

Also, I wouldn't have put the caliber restriction on her. 9mm is great, but as you said: what works for you may not work for her.

This is her gun, not yours. Sorry about the bluntness, but that's just the way it is.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    I used to think revolvers were the solution to hand strength issues, but I'm not so sure that technique on an auto is better. I took a female friend shooting, who has some ongoing health issues and not much strength. Reaching over the top and doing the "push-pull," she was able to rack a variety of slides (striker and hammer). It wasn't confident or graceful, but she got it done.
    She really really struggled with the revolvers, which I was not expecting. She couldn't do the double action pull...not at all. The finger strength (hindered by the long reach) just wasn't there. She couldn't even cock the hammer with either thumb. She ended up using her support hand over the top (with the meat below her pinky on the hammer) and essentially doing the "push-pull" that worked on the autos.

Sounds crazy, I know. I would have been skeptical, but I saw it with my own eyes.

Maybe a sturdy red dot would help get even more purchase for reaching over the top to "push-pull" :shrug:

Also, while it is important to be able to rack the slide overall, how often is it needed with a carry gun? My carry gun has had the same round in pipe since sometime last summer. I probably should clean it sometime...and maybe run a couple of rounds through it just to be sure (I practice with its twin to at least keep me a little sharp)...but :shrug: Unless it malfunctions, I've got 13 rounds before I would need to rack it. I would take those odds over a revolver that I might not even be able to pull the trigger. Plus, what kind of accuracy do you get in an already stressful situation if you have to struggle to cock the hammer or even pull the trigger?
    Drawing a pistol in a stressful situation often results in a poor hold, which can cause a malfunction; clearing the pistol is essential if you plan on surviving a gunfight.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan

I'm seeing a market for lever action pistols....

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Again, the easiest 9mm semiauto pistol to rack is a double-action hammer fired pistol with the hammer cocked back. Find one that is a decocker and you're golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom