• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    Would love to get one of those Colt 1911 US issued....actually there are a lot of things I would like to get from that small auction

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Some nice stuff, but some of those "minimum" prices are laughable. Remember to add 19% for buyers rip & tax + the FFL transfer fees.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Whomever set the opening prices was no rookie in the field. I doubt anything will go unsold, but a very few may just squeak past. I'm going to assume that the ones that seem a bit high would look much better than average in person.

Would love to get one of those Colt 1911 US issued....actually there are a lot of things I would like to get from that small auction

If the 1911's are WWII vintage, $1k is a good sale price (depending on condition) that I've seen, though the final price is whatever the auction ends up with, naturally. Other online sellers are listing $1500 or more. Not sure if those are selling though. I got mine (Remington Rand) the old fashion way: inherited it. :rolleyes:

Not sure of the other stuff. Some opening bids seem really high, some seem reasonable.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Whomever set the opening prices was no rookie in the field. I doubt anything will go unsold, but a very few may just squeak past. I'm going to assume that the ones that seem a bit high would look much better than average in person.

Seller is a local FFL, selling his father's collection. For the things I know about, the minimum prices seem fair, no bargains, but fair.

I'll be stopping back after 30 July.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Lot 104 (RD1)
    Russian Dragunov Bolt Action
    Sniper Rifle, Model SVD
    MINIMUM OPENING BID = $700.00

I've never seen a bolt action SVD dragunov but it looks exactly like a PSL!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Opening bid amounts look to be @ 75 points of market value. That's right @ the upper limit for what dealers can pay and still turn a profit. Curious to see what some of these lots fetch.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yeah, I saw about..-) 10-12 items that I would like to own, if I could afford them. The starting prices are fair, no great deals, but fair. BUT, it really depends on the selling price of course :-).

Even those 1911's which APPEAR to be WWII models, they usually list for at LEAST $1500 or more, but like someone else said, I'm not sure if they sell. I would guess some do. But honestly, I'm more of a shooter than collector, so, for $2K, I would rather have a nice used Wilson, Baer, C & S, Bar Sto, etc.

It looks like a nice little auction though, not any old cruddy stuff :-)..I mean, ANTIQUES!

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Sigh, almost every hole in my collection is on that list. Too bad, as I just refuse to sit through 100+ day waiting for MSP for a C&R handgun. I just won't do it any more.

maddogthegreatest

Nov 19, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Lot 104 (RD1)
    Russian Dragunov Bolt Action
    Sniper Rifle, Model SVD
    MINIMUM OPENING BID = $700.00

I've never seen a bolt action SVD dragunov but it looks exactly like a PSL!

Yup..
    It sure looks like PSL
    X in the magazine is dead give away...
    Probably Romanian made, not Russian made..:D

Almost impossible to find real Russian made Dragunov...:sad20:

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Some nice stuff, but some of those "minimum" prices are laughable. Remember to add 19% for buyers rip & tax + the FFL transfer fees.

The 19% mark-up is infuriating - but I am still interested in knowing what type of FFL arrangement there would be. I'm not interested in the handguns - so maybe they will not have FFL fees for the rifles...

Regardless, I will be checking this out close to the end date to see what the ending prices are on these guys. My imagination says "high". But there's always hope.

And anyone else catch Lot #130. Interesting looking Mosin Nagant Carbine.... :lol2:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    FFL charges are listed right on the sight. 35 long gun, 45 regulated, 10 per additional

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    60-70% of market value opening bid + 13% buyer's premium + 6% sales tax + transfer fee + final sale means I stay far away. Having the auction in MD makes it that much worse, with the MD registration paperwork and wait time on top of the transfer fee for C&R handguns. No thanks.

Jul 1, 2012
    Nothing to see here. Move along... :innocent0

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thankfully no P.38's...

Both 1911's are WWI-era (check out the hammer, flat mainspring housing, markings and S/N's - Lot 16 is from 1918 and Lot 33 can't tell but has 5 or 6 digits, finish looks pre-WWI) and if in the excellent shape they appear to be, with all correct parts and original finish they are worth easily 2-3 times the opening bid (and they consistently bring those prices). Holsters are repros.

The Colt 1903 Model M "Hammerless" looks awesome - 2-3 times opening easy.

The Colt 1903 Pocket Hammer - and kudos to them for correctly identifying it - appears superb and until lately would be at least 2x the opening. It's a real late one (within 700 or so of the end). The bottom dropped out on these in the past few months for some reason and you can't give em away. This one is a steal as a long-term investment if it's as nice as it looks.

None of these Colts should be shooters, really collector items if they're in excellent condition. Plenty of not so nice non-matching/refurbished ones out there to monkey with and shoot the p out of. Just my 2c.

Many of the other pistols look very good at the opening (SACM 1935A, FN 1922, Radom vis35, etc). The FN 1922 looks to be pre-war but also appears refinished - the pic is so crappy it's hard to tell though. The "Random 35" looks especially nice, early 3 lever with good finish and possibly with the "P35" hand-stamp stamp on the slide (can't tell, too blurry). If the mags are original and Waffenamt'd they're worth the opening bid by themselves. The FN 1922 is really coming on lately ($500+), as is the Vis.35 ($800+).

I'd be interested to see what the TT33 really is, no added safety and looks like a pre-war/war-era "ersatz" holster. If it's a real Russian war-era, wow, good deal.

The Lahti Model 1940 appears very nice, with original holster, cleaning rod and tool + 3 mags. These have shot up in value too.

Steyr Hahn - pass. These have fallen on their butt value-wise and shoot 9x23. Kind of butt-ugly but surprisingly natural pointers with superb quality.

Walther PPK Lot 9 looks interesting, pre-war (?) high polish with several proofs on slide - some of these can be worth a crap-ton. But not correct mags. Lot 15 PP is worth checking out too. The other PPK looks to be a mess.

I noticed that there were a lot of "spelin" errors in the terms and conditions, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable providing all my credit card & personal info up front though. That doesn't seem cool to me. And conflicting info whether the guy would transfer/ship handguns to an out of state FFL-01 (for those that have a willing FFL-01 in the wings). A one-day, 5-hour window for examination - after bidding starts - isn't cool either. At least it's not after auction ends :)

If these are non-matching and/or refinished guns or you're just looking for a shooter you'd be screwed on most when the dust settled. Need to examine in person and carefully, too many unknowns otherwise.

I agree it ain't worth the 100-200 day wait for in-state transfer on something you can get in a few days from out-of-state, however good a deal these may be.

6pack

MSI BOD Member
    Apr 2, 2012
    Eldersburg, MD
    Why is there any wait if you have your C&R? Or do the ones mentioning the wait not have that?

I will be signing up and watching closely the M1D and Dragunov (which I agree looks like a PSL). There are several snipers that I will be watching, but those two are what I'm very interested in.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Because you cannot buy a MD-regulated gun with a C&R within MD. Cash and carry (or delivery to your door) only applies to out-of-state C&R purchases for guns that MD regulates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom