• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I knew I remember reading that somewhere...from Wideners site...

"OWN A PIECE OF HISTORY. The Chinese type 56 was used in Viet Nam extensively by enemy forces. Read about the history of the type 56, buy one, refinish it and wear it out."

Absolutely! The Chinese type 56 was indeed used against us in Viet Nam ... but the ones sent to Ho Chi Minh were pretty certainly not included in the shipments to Albania.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    The bore is not counterbored. The rifling goes all the way to the muzzle. The only bad area is the 1/8"+/-, 2 3/4" in from the muzzle. It looks like it lines up about with the pin in the bayonet lug seen from the outside. I tried to take more photos but could only get the "lighting" to work from the breach end.

I just read in a description for a Type 59 SKS mentions that if you try to shoot a rifle with cosmo in it it can "ring the bore" like you mentioned. perhaps that is it. I have never head that term used before.

why someone would do such a thing is beyond me.

smoothebore

SKS from Allan's Armory

Just as an FYI...Allan's Armory has some with broken stocks. I bought one of them and repaired the stock and it looks nice. Some under $300, most if not all are all matching, including stamped numbers on some stocks. Got another 'broken stock' 56 from another company and it has three large wood screws in it to hold the stock together at the grip. Going to do a light refinish (cosmo removal, oil) to the stock but leave the screws in. As people have mentioned e-sarco, clearwater, etc. have replacement stocks. The one I got from Clearwater is a simple drop in replacement. The sarco unit, which included the handguard, is must newer and very pretty would require some fitting.

http://www.allans-armory.com/aaresult.php?PageId=48

Allan was very nice to work with. All rifles come in a hard case and are test fired.

When this head's up was posted I caught the SKS bug and bought one. Well, I finally finished cleaning off tons of cosmo, fixing the splits and cracks, applying new BLO, and putting it back together. I haven't fired it yet. I think it turned out pretty decent. Since 1958 it's sure been around. Trench art all over it.

Attachments

• C&R 010.jpg
      C&R 010.jpg
      104.9 KB · Views: 275
    • C&R 011.jpg
      C&R 011.jpg
      104.9 KB · Views: 247
    • C&R 015.jpg
      C&R 015.jpg
      76.6 KB · Views: 280
    • C&R 017.jpg
      C&R 017.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 287

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Just got my Type 56 today and it's beautiful! Stock is a mess, beat to sh1t, but no visible cracks. Bonus "racing stripes" on the foregrip and star and crescent on the side above the trigger.
    Everything matches - bolt, carrier, cover, receiver, stock, magazine. Not counterbored. Safety works. Most of the bluing is still there. No rust!
    Ho. Lee. Crap. This thing is packed solid with cosmo.

Attachments

• IMG_1345_1.JPG
      IMG_1345_1.JPG
      14.2 KB · Views: 210
    • IMG_1347_1.JPG
      IMG_1347_1.JPG
      31.5 KB · Views: 265
    • IMG_1351_1.JPG
      IMG_1351_1.JPG
      27.4 KB · Views: 269
    • IMG_1352_1.JPG
      IMG_1352_1.JPG
      40.4 KB · Views: 240
    • IMG_1350_1.JPG
      IMG_1350_1.JPG
      39.5 KB · Views: 240

elwojo

File not found: M:/Liberty.exe
    Dec 23, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    So I have read through a good amount of this thread and it's got me thinking: am I going to be able to find a good SKS anywhere affordably in the near future?

I am tempted to jump on one of these even though I have heard some negative reviews about it not being an authentic Type 59 SKS.

Any advice on this? Thanks in advance!

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Yellowsled have you seen any wooden SKS stocks floating about on the web? Sarco looks to be sold out at the moment. I am looking for another stock for my Chinese that arrived today from Widener's. Pretty good shape overall, minus the expected crack in the stock. Seems to be matching at first glance.

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    Yellowsled have you seen any wooden SKS stocks floating about on the web? Sarco looks to be sold out at the moment. I am looking for another stock for my Chinese that arrived today from Widener's. Pretty good shape overall, minus the expected crack in the stock. Seems to be matching at first glance.

http://www.clearviewinvest.com/sks.aspx

I bought two, on Yellowsled's advice and they were pretty nice. One needed a bit of work on the cross-bolt for a perfect fit. Look like this:
    t560112.jpg

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I was taking apart my Type 56 SKS earlier and I noticed the bolt has cryllic letters in front of the serial number, which does not match the serial number on the receiver. Is it possible this is a spare Russian part or maybe an Albanian part? Here's a picture
    VreRE1Y.jpg

and here's just a picture of the sks at the range yesterday
    3pjnzcV.jpg

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    When the chicoms started making these they basically received tooling and remaining parts stock from the soviets.

So many of the early I think 4 digit serialed rifles were made atleast partially with soviet made parts likely your bolt was replaced with a spare soviet marked bolt.

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom