• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I carry frequently while working in the yard or lounging around outside. I have ran into what appeared to be sick foxes and coons more than a few times.
    My ex wife recently moved to the Altoona area in Pa.and called me a few nights ago upset because a young lady was open carrying in a Wendys LOL

Mr H

Banana'd
    I carry frequently while working in the yard or lounging around outside. I have ran into what appeared to be sick foxes and coons more than a few times.
    My ex wife recently moved to the Altoona area in Pa.and called me a few nights ago upset because a young lady was open carrying in a Wendys LOL

Got out just in time, didja??!!

:D

Seriously, though... I do carry around my expansive quarter acre ;), and am becoming less and less concerned whether anyone says anything.

Usually concealed, but again, it's mattering less and less.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I´d like to OC on my property but my backyard is 16'x20' and the PoPo is almost as ignorant as the gangs of 70-80 guys on dirtbikes doing weelies through red lights lights that they do nothing about.I feel like it's just asking for trouble from under informed all knowing officers of Bodymore City.So I just let my monstrous mutts scare the bejesus out of all the hoodrats.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Well, since you started this. I was OC'ing on my property the other day as we have a groundhog that is trying to get into the wifes chicken coop and I had seen him near the wood line. So I was walking around with my .45 in it's holster. My shirt was covering it but only about 1/2 way when lo and behold who rolls up the driveway? A MoCo police officer in his plain black charger. Drug and Firearm task force car. He gets out, comes over, says hi, introduces himself and tells me about a case he is working on and was given my name as I live across from the suspect. We chatted for awhile and he NEVER said a word but I know he noticed because before he left he asked me what I was carrying. I showed him my stainless Ruger Vacquero to which he said "nice gun". We talked firearms for awhile he said we should get together and go shooting sometime as he just lives a mile away.

I'll preface my comment with a disclaimer that I've never had any personal encounters with either P.G. or M.C. police. The most I've gotten from P.G. is a chirp of their siren because my jackets are black and so is my car's seatbelt so it "appears" that I'm not actually buckled.

So with that said, what I see on TeeVee and how the officers of the respective counties carry themselves, MoCo seem to do the job because they want to carry the badge. P.G. seems to do it because they want to carry the gun and boss people around. The fact that they have their own wiki entry for police misconduct and brutality is a whole other story.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I'm just going to put this out there: I defended a guy in Baltimore City who has a CCW, was on his own property and was still charged with carrying a concealed weapon. Despite my showing the judge his permit and pointing out that he was on his own property, the judge said (and I'll never forget this): "because a gun was involved I'm not dismissing this case." Yes, we won, but my client still had a headache.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I'm just going to put this out there: I defended a guy in Baltimore City who has a CCW, was on his own property and was still charged with carrying a concealed weapon. Despite my showing the judge his permit and pointing out that he was on his own property, the judge said (and I'll never forget this): "because a gun was involved I'm not dismissing this case." Yes, we won, but my client still had a headache.

That judge should be relieved of his duties.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    That judge should be relieved of his duties.

Her duties, but yes. I lost a lot of respect for the court system that day. Unfortunately, due to the nature of my client's work, he did not want to file a civil suit for malicious prosecution.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    By all means carry on your property , using pefered methods , and best judgement for your conditions on a regular basis.
    But .... As far as a coordinated PR/ political statement ? It kind of fizzles. If it were noticed at all , it would be assumed by 100 different observers to each be seeing an isolated incident.

When the timing and stratagy is right , it would be much more effective with Open Holster Rallies, just this time with multiple hundreds of participants instead of a dozen or two.

Off the top of my head , I don't see the timing as ripe until the political discorse has moved from so called Assualt Rifles , back to carry rights.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Our driveway literally exits on a curb, so when the county does not do its job, its pray and floor it to get out because you just can't see over the weeds for oncoming cars. One time my brother was clearing out some overgrown weeds at the end of our driveway with a machete. Not 30 minutes later cops showed up because they received "several reports" of a person wielding a long knife walking on the road. They checked it out and went on their way, but still. Imagine if he had been carrying open on our property with the machete...

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    This is really a situational issue. Some people could do it and no one would notice the difference. Other people will have the police called on them within minutes.

I personally see no advantage to doing this. The people that see it and say nothing most likely don’t can anyway so it won’t change their minds. And then people that do see it and get worried will only think harder about how we are all paranoid.

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    My neighbor called the cops because I was cleaning the ARs and MP5 .22lr on my patio. I know my rights but when you are being grilled by 3 deputies that are 25 and one that is in his 40s for 30 minutes it can be disconcerting.

What crap part of the state do you live in?

I always OC on my land, and none of my neighbors mind, actually they are pretty solidly pro-gun.

sino26

Mar 5, 2013
    Columbia
    I usually CC when in my yard or working in the garage with the door open. I've always wondered if I am considered off my property if I cross the sidewalk to mow the strip of grass near the road? I assume it is off property so I don't carry while mowing.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    What crap part of the state do you live in?

I always OC on my land, and none of my neighbors mind, actually they are pretty solidly pro-gun.

I think the whole county is pro-gun except for the lady in Eldersburg who pushed for handgun locks (I forget her name).

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    People OC in VA and several other states every day. They do it in public spaces (because it's legal). If they can OC in public where it's legal, we can OC on our private property where it's legal. My personal opinion is that there's nothing to fear but fear itself.

A photo of your holstered pistol shown to a LEO by an idiotic neighbor as justification for why they called 911 should have your neighbor receiving a warning or citation for calling about a false emergency (someone can correct my terminology). I'm pretty sure the police don't like it when people waste their time, right? A photo of you minding your own business mowing your lawn is not going to convince anyone that you were brandishing anything.

Once I settle on my townhouse (and check with a lawyer regarding where "my" property begins and ends because condo townhouses have abnormal arrangements), I will absolutely open carry on my deck while I'm barbecuing just because I can and because I couldn't at my apartment. If any of my neighbors have an aneurism over it, so much the better.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I will say that I am lucky and do live in the northern most rural part of MoCo. Almost in Howard or Carroll counties. My neighbors are glad I am into shooting and irearms because they know I will protect them and have written permission to carry on their properties. One is a 135 acre farm that I do some "groundhog control" on. They're really happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom