• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    I've read a ton of posts on FFL's releasing "early", but haven't seen anything about ,possible blowback on the recipients of those guns.
    Could have missed it.
    If MSP says since the FFL didn't "follow the rules", could there be "consequences" for the buyer that picked up his purchase early?

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    OK....I'll bite.

The FFL's are not breaking any laws by releasing as dictated by the law (MD = 8th day). They may incur a liability issue if something goes wrong. That's it, if app comes back "Disapproved," the MSP will come for the firearm. Simple as that. I would not want to be buyer though that knowingly applies for purchase that they should not be doing in the 1st place.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Funny how people are calling it "early release".

The FFL's are releasing on time using policies that their attorneys are advising and based on the memo from thr MSP Secretary of Police, and all laws (MD and Federal) are being complied with.

Can we stop using this "early" jargon? It implies the full term is not being enforced. Just because the process is elongated by the State, nothing is being released "early".

*** The US Government can plead the 5th amendment against We the People in the People's House? What??? ***

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    My buddy bought an sks in wv where he lived.. he had a wait time and picked up after said wait time
    . He had an assault 2 charge... they still gave it to him.. well that shop stayed open no problem.. as for him.. the atf kicked his door in .. he wasnt home but they called him and he was forced to forfeit the weapon and I believe he received charges for it

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Funny how people are calling it "early release".

The FFL's are releasing on time using policies that their attorneys are advising and based on the memo from thr MSP Secretary of Police, and all laws (MD and Federal) are being complied with.

Can we stop using this "early" jargon? It implies the full term is not being enforced. Just because the process is elongated by the State, nothing is being released "early".

*** The US Government can plead the 5th amendment against We the People in the People's House? What??? ***

Kinda like standard 30-round mags suddenly becoming high-capacity mags. Or rifles becoming assault rifles because they're ugly.

The liberals are very successful at re-defining terminology as part of controlling the debate and getting what they want. We need to stop playing their game and by their rules.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    wouldn't fall on the buyer, but could get the FFL revoked and fined.

Why? The FFL is not violating any laws. A point of contact was made, an application filed, release on day 8 as dictated by MD law. The release of the firearm is at the discretion of the FFL, this has been spelled out multiple times. A civil liability is another matter, but no laws were violated.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    My buddy bought an sks in wv where he lived.. he had a wait time and picked up after said wait time
    . He had an assault 2 charge... they still gave it to him.. well that shop stayed open no problem.. as for him.. the atf kicked his door in .. he wasnt home but they called him and he was forced to forfeit the weapon and I believe he received charges for it

Now tell the rest of the story. Did he LIE on the form he filled out or was it an honest mistake?? Either way, the FFL is not responsible for the answers on his application. THEY followed the law. Apparently HE did not. Please, if you know, tell us where the problem ACTUALLY occured?

I also agree with shallnotinfringe. Not "early" release, NORMAL release. All others are "detained " releases.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Maybe it's just me, but how would the MSP know when you picked-up your new toy? They don't track that. They do a check and let the FFL know the outcome of that check.

The FFL doesn't go back and tell the MSP whether you picked-up your new toy or didn't pick-up your new toy.

If the check did come back with a Disapproved instead of a Not Disapproved then the FFL is responsible for making sure your new toy is returned to the toy store. That obligation does not fall on the MSP.

If there is a Disapproved, then the MSP may or may not get a call from the FFL telling the MSP that Mr. or Mrs. Pantsonfire lied their ass off and took possession of a firearm knowing full well they shouldn't have. Now we're into criminal activity.

Outside of that, it's like a car dealer selling a 4,500 pound, 650 hp, 195 mph Mustang to an Alcoholic with 3 prior DUI arrests and said Alcoholic ran over a bus stop full of school children killing 7 of them. The car DEALER would not be in danger so it stands to reason that a firearm DEALER would not be in danger either.

K.C.Dean

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Buds Creek
    The buyer is at fault. He is the one answering the questions on the forms. It is the buyers responsibility. I think it's a felony to not answer the questions trufully.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Anyone wondering what will happen when the press picks up on the ON TIME release?

IMHO, one of 2 things will happen:

There will be a public outcry for the MSP to put more resources on the delay NOW. This problem has been growing for 6 months.

There will be a public outcry for an emergency GA session to be called to amend the current MD law to prevent ON TIME release per the "may" language.

Bet it won't be published.

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    Now tell the rest of the story. Did he LIE on the form he filled out or was it an honest mistake?? Either way, the FFL is not responsible for the answers on his application. THEY followed the law. Apparently HE did not. Please, if you know, tell us where the problem ACTUALLY occured?

I also agree with shallnotinfringe. Not "early" release, NORMAL release. All others are "detained " releases.

I said he had an assault 2 charge.. which would mean he lied on application. . I believe he said it asked if he had any felonies.. since he only did maybe 3 weeks in county he thought it wasnt a felony. . He said it had something to do with maximum possible sentencing

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Funny how MSP can ignore the law and then threaten to punish gun dealers for following them.

Hello,

May I ask were you found that DRONE logo?

The whole DRONE situation has been a thorn in my side from day one.

The very thought of DRONES being used in the United States make my hairs stand on end.

Makes me want to start a DRONE thread.

Thank you.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Outside of that, it's like a car dealer selling a 4,500 pound, 650 hp, 195 mph Mustang to an Alcoholic with 3 prior DUI arrests and said Alcoholic ran over a bus stop full of school children and killed 7 of them. The car DEALER would not be in danger so it stands to reason that a firearm DEALER would not be in danger either.

This part is QFT.

The rest I am unsure of. Thought if the party was "Disapproved", in fact the MSP does come a'collecting...

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    That being said.. he didnt kill anyone with the gun. . I think I remember in the sniper case there was lawsuits against the dealer of the bushmaster they used.. does anyone here know how that turned out? I know the dealer probably spent alot on the case (lawyers and time). But was there a ruling on the case?

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    So the FFL did nothing wrong and had no reason not to stay open. Like someone else said. It's YOUR responsibility to know the correct answers. Some honest mistakes are made and this may have been one of them. But there was no reason for the FFL to have any problems.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    [QUOTE "detained" releases.[/QUOTE]

It's either too early to get my head wrapped around this or my tin foil hat is wrapped too tight.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    There shouldn't be any consequences for the FFL's releasing on the 8th day since they aren't breaking any laws. And if something goes wrong because of that MSP cannot just come back and take their license. However, they can make the dealer's life miserable for every other little thing until they are able to take their license, which is what I think the dealers are largely worried about. It's called extrajudicial punishment and is a hallmark of repressive regimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrajudicial_punishment

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom