• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    Its pretty simple, they don't give out prices because lots of their prices are sky high. If they give prices over the phone many people would simply buy elsewhere without setting foot in the store.

Sounds like a car dealership I worked for once upon a time. I made a ton and never gave out a price until the customer said they would take the car home that day. It is all about getting top dollar.

I can see no other reason a retail establishment would withhold prices instead of advertise them.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    That's your opinion not fact. I'm a penny pincher when it comes to buying guns.I bought a rifle there Weds. Went back yesterday for 2 pistols. That makes 8 guns for me from Bog Dog this year. I wouldn't buy there if I couldn't get a deal !

And having the pistols transferred to which MD. ffl? At an added cost of? :innocent0

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I am profoundly disappointed that about four people in this thread are acting like total a$$hole$ over a few bucks that they think they could save by going somewhere else. Here's a hint for those four people: If you don't want to buy it, DON'T BUY IT! Go somewhere else, but why are you trashing a good small business who is an IP here over such petty little stuff? You are really making yourselves look small.

Has this company ripped you off? No.

Did this company have something in stock that you would have liked to see cheaper? Maybe ... but they had it in stock.

Take your meds ... drink de-caff ... or whatever, but think what you are saying before you post here and make an a$$ out of yourself. I know that a couple of the posts here are flat-out lies, and others just seem to be a case of people piling on out of ignorance.

I go past that shop nearly every day, and I'm in there at least once a week. There are some things that I might be able to find for a dollar or two cheaper if I take 3 hours and most of a tank of gas and drive somewhere else, but that doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I can find better prices for some things on the Internet, too, but when I figure in shipping, etc., I'm only paying a little bit more to walk out of the store with what I want in my hand ... and I know that it's what I wanted to get.

Places that sell 400 firearms a day can cut their profit margin to near the bone and still make it, but a place that might only sell a small fraction of that number can't. BDO isn't some mega-corporation based in a far-off city with big corporate offices. They are our neighbors, and they certainly behave the way I'd like my friends to behave. They are far more civil to us than about four people here are being with them.

The only fault that I can find with them is that they shouldn't have responded to the crap that these few impolite people were putting out here. They indeed "fed the trolls" and some of you guys acted like trolls ... or worse.

Don't go into their store. Don't buy from them. Send your money off somewhere else with the deluded idea that online places that list items as "OUT OF STOCK" will suddenly have them in stock at 2012 prices the moment you place your order.

This is America. You have that privilege. You also have the privilege to post lies and false assumptions here about a group of people who are trying to survive in tough economic times by supporting our hobbies (and, in some cases, vocations). But, while you are doing that, know that there are a lot of people out here who have had great experiences with that business, or look forward to visiting the place, and who are truly embarrassed that a small number of posters on this exceptionally fine forum are behaving like ill-mannered children.

P.S. - There's another thread here right now where some people in SOMD are lamenting the fact that another local gun business isn't doing well and hasn't got much in the way of stock on their shelves. Maybe BDO wants to be able to continue keeping stock on their shelves and their doors open. I personally don't mind spending an extra buck or two to support a local business that's supporting the community in return. If their prices are "sky high", as someone who doesn't know what they are talking about is speculating, people are going to walk out of the store without buying anything. (Just because you, by your own admission, over-charged people at a car dealership, that doesn't mean that everyone else is doing the same.)

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Not a single person has trashed them a few people has sad the prices are high and on a lot of things they are above the msrp and a few things are down right way over priced. The other thing was mentioned was not giving out prices over the phone. This was pointed out showing them that they are loosing money because of this policy. None of this is a lie or trashing them. I have said over and over they do have great customer service and a good stock. The only one who lied and acted bad in here was the owner with the remarks he made.
    You are talking about a businesses trying to survive well I am telling you we are people trying to survive as well. We need to make every $$$$ St reach as far as it can go and balance it between paying bills feeding our family's and paying for our sport. In this time where government workers are on ferlo and loosing a lot of money gas and taxes keep going up and tolls going up while pay checks are going down. So yes a few $$$ to some people is a very big deal!

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I just got back from Big Dog's (did not see any dog in the store). It was great to see firearm magazines in stock. I bought a bag full of Magpul's for the AR. Saw a lot of nice guns, they even have a Ruger SR1911 (SEAL edition, whatever that is). The person behind the counter was quite pleasant to talk to, pointing out the cash and carry guns, the partnership they have with the pawn shop in White Plains (unfortunately I just do not like dealing with pawn shops). I saw some decent prices, especially the mags but the prices on some guns were far above what I would expect. Capitalism, plain and simple. THey do have a Tavor on the wall, for what I would expect price. Happy that I took the drive. I do need to find stores that have more nice C&R guns What they had was well used and priced higher than what I was willing to part with.

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    You are talking about a businesses trying to survive well I am telling you we are people trying to survive as well. We need to make every $$$$ St reach as far as it can go and balance it between paying bills feeding our family's and paying for our sport. In this time where government workers are on ferlo and loosing a lot of money gas and taxes keep going up and tolls going up while pay checks are going down. So yes a few $$$ to some people is a very big deal!

If some people are concerned about furloughs, gas money and taxes then the LAST thing they should be worried about is buying a gun....:sad20:

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    I dont understand. Are the people at Big Dogs kidnapping people, and forcing them to buy at there store?

I'm with you------Some people are just not happy unless there is negativity surrounding them...They need something to bitch about at all times... Plenty on this board like that.... In my experiences, those are the ones who work for somebody else, don't own anything, debt up the a$$, not happy with there jobs, barely getting by. They live in a world of negativity, so they spread it around to make themselves feel more comfortable....

Charles and Big Dogs are doing just fine, have a great business and do not miss or need the negative business, trust me...:thumbsup:

JackinSoMd

Feb 16, 2013
    Dentsville
    I just got back from Big Dog's (did not see any dog in the store).

LOL I've seen the big dog a couple of times in the store .
    Last time I made the mistake of playing around with him and he wouldn't leave me alone . Made it kinda hard to concentrate on what I was looking at .

BTW I give Big Dog Outfitters a big thumbs up . I've been in there about 2 dozen times and purchased 3 firearms .. I am fan of this store .

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    There are a few people on here being negative however it isn't the people expressing an opinion that the gun prices are high! It is all the guys that are bashing the people who are expressing an opinion.
    You call us trolls, crybabies and other names say we shouldn't be buying guns! I guess You only think that YOUR opinion is the only one that matters and if anyone doesn't think like you they are wrong. and then say they are wrong!

as for government workers facing ferlo and loosing a lot of money gas and taxes remember that a lot of us live in MD and are facing other deadlines as well so it has to be a balance act. If we want an ar or a handgun we have to buy them now while we can.

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    There are a few people on here being negative however it isn't the people expressing an opinion that the gun prices are high!

But I have asked several times for examples of the "HIGH" gun prices Big Dogs has and NOT once has anyone posted an example...Let us see the examples of an IN STOCK gun anywhere else and Big Dogs price to compare, so we can all see what a few are complaining about....

Problem is there are a few here that cry and whine about prices, etc but can not back it up with real world examples, those are the whiners that cause problems for everyone else, those are the ones I am sure Big Dogs and other places could care less to have there business...

Anyone who is crying about $10-$15 here and there for a gun, etc, shouldn't be focused on buying a gun, if that little bit of money makes you whine, maybe your priorities should be paying your bills and not buying a gun or ammo....

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    But I have asked several times for examples of the "HIGH" gun prices Big Dogs has and NOT once has anyone posted an example...Let us see the examples of an IN STOCK gun anywhere else and Big Dogs price to compare, so we can all see what a few are complaining about....

Problem is there are a few here that cry and whine about prices, etc but can not back it up with real world examples, those are the whiners that cause problems for everyone else, those are the ones I am sure Big Dogs and other places could care less to have there business...

Anyone who is crying about $10-$15 here and there for a gun, etc, shouldn't be focused on buying a gun, if that little bit of money makes you whine, maybe your priorities should be paying your bills and not buying a gun or ammo....

I have refrained to making any more negative posts about big dogs.......but since you asked.....i bought a ruger sr9c a couple months ago from buds and i paid $419+$35 transfer. Big dogs wants $100 more than what the gun + transfer cost me.......and since Im a md resident I would still have to pay the transfer fee on top of their ******** inflated prices. I think the only people buying from them are people who have never bought guns or ammo until the crisis started. Did anybody ever think the reason they always have stuff in stock is because anybody who knows anything about guns or ammo would never pay their prices?

KD999

Dec 18, 2012
    Virginia
    Love BDO and I am waiting for them to call me. I'm on the waiting list for my next purchase. Prices may be a little higher than others but so what? They have inventory that no one else seems to. They are very responsive on the phone or online. I don't think they like to post prices because prices may change on a particular item if its sold and replaced by another that may have cost them more. Probably easier to avoid the headache of explaining. However, you can always call. I try to stop by pretty regularly just to see what they have.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009

Have you not been reading the post lots of examples have been given on the high prices! And it isn't just guns. I bought a ruger lcp mag from them a few weeks. Last weekend I went to green top and they had the same mag for about $ 8 less. This in its self is not enough of a savings but if you are buying a lot it adds up fast.
    While I am on the topic of green top. They are a single store with no more buying power then big dogs. They have a store that is almost 4x as big as big dog so they pay higher rent. Power and water and insurance they also have way more employees then big dog. This is a lot more over head but they seam to be able to thrive next to bass pro and have better prices then big dog and bass pro and still have a very impressive inventory.

Morgan321

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 6, 2013
    SOMD
    Wish you could read, I gave one very specific example. It's not $15 extra for a gun, it's 20% or more over what many people are used to paying.

Here's another example: basic sig 226 is $1050 at big dog, $890 at buds guns, and $780 on gun broker(and not sold with 4 hours left on buy-it-now). Big dogs price is 34% more than gb! I paid $850 at my local gun shop in Tennessee in february at the height of the panic! All require same transfer fee and big dog also requires tax which makes the big dog price $400 more than gb! I could buy another gun with that kind of savings!

Here's another: Harris bipod $92+tax at big dog while midway's price is $64+shipping for same model. Big dog price premium: 42%.

Everybody agrees its a nice store with nice employees who don't give prices out over the phone. How anybody can think their prices are normal is beyond me, but their prices are similar to everywhere in this area. If you're a local who never ventures far from home I guess their prices seem normal. I don't mind a small price premium for a nice store with friendly employees like big dog has, but 1/3 higher prices is crazy and not justifiable for many people.

Arguing on the Internet is like arguing with a rock, but there's two more specific examples for you.

But I have asked several times for examples of the "HIGH" gun prices Big Dogs has and NOT once has anyone posted an example...... few here that cry and whine about prices, etc but can not back it up with real world examples......Anyone who is crying about $10-$15 here and there for a gun....

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I bought the Magpul 30 round PMAGS from BDO yesterday, $11.99 each. I thought that was a fantastic price. They did have the very same rifle (an AR type piston gun) on the wall, listed as over $500.00 more than a shop in St. Mary's county. I certainly am not complaining, like I said it is free capitalism. Freedom of choice allows me to buy their offering or go someplace else. Not a big deal, much like buying a new car.
    Oh, and BDO has a MG42 and a M2 for sale. Look cool but semi auto. That fun factor would wear out quickly, like a semi auto Thompson.

baconsandwich

master of the obvious
    Apr 20, 2013
    Baltimore City
    I recently drove to BDO all the way from Baltimore because they had some hard-to-find magazines in stock that I was looking for. Not just one or two, they had a whole box of them. Price was a couple dollars more than I anticipated but it was reasonable. I was so happy that they had them I bought six and walked out with a smile on my face. Staff were friendly and welcoming. It was worth the drive and I would certainly do business there again.

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    If the prices are too high for some of you, then buy elsewhere and stop crying like babies. Sound like a bunch of broken records, say your two cents and move on. Is Buds a sponsor here? Is Green Top a sponsor here? Are either one of them closer to the So MD area then Big Dogs? Big Dogs supports Md Shooters and pays to sponsor here, if I were the owner of Big Dogs after my sponsorship is up here, I wouldn't even waste my time spending any money sponsoring here if all I heard was a bunch of whining about a few dollars higher than an ONLINE gun shop that sells hundreds of guns a day. Alot of you have no clue what it takes to run a business. It is easier to sit back click a link, buy a gun $3 cheaper and bitch about the gun shop close to you selling it higher...I belong to many forums and I must say, I have never seen this many whiners on any other forum. Some of you guys will spend $12 in gas to drive somewhere to save $4 and then cry about it...

PS - -Just because a gun is listed for $1000, doesn't mean it may sell for that. Go in look around and ask if you are interested in a gun, see if you can work a deal, worse case is the salesperson says, that is the price, no discounts... Will Buds or Cabelas do that??

285ferrari

Dec 7, 2012
    Waldorf
    Here's another example: basic sig 226 is $1050 at big dog, $890 at buds guns, and $780 on gun broker(and not sold with 4 hours left on buy-it-now). Big dogs price is 34% more than gb! I paid $850 at my local gun shop in Tennessee in february at the height of the panic! All require same transfer fee and big dog also requires tax which makes the big dog price $400 more than gb! I could buy another gun with that kind of savings!

Here's another: Harris bipod $92+tax at big dog while midway's price is $64+shipping for same model. Big dog price premium: 42%.

Arguing on the Internet is like arguing with a rock, but there's two more specific examples for you.
    Did you ask to see if the items could be bought for less??? See if a deal could be worked??

I am guessing you are one of those guys that pays window sticker for a new car....:lol2:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Got a question........

Why is it (on this forum, and this thread, in particular) that if someone doesn't follow like little lost lambs, they're called everything from trolls, to a$$hole$, and other not-so-polite names??????

Folks, this is exactly why there is Ford; Chevy; and Dodge.

Not everyone is going to like the same thing!!!!!!!

Those that are involved in the name-calling should just step back and realize that not everyone is going to agree.

I'm completely done with this thread.

Have a nice day (and life).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom