• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RLaw

Apr 6, 2013
    Well for what it's worth, I visited them after I found out they had a hand gun in stock that I wanted. I don't recall if they told me what the price was, but I had enough confidence that the price was reasonable that I made the drive and paid the toll. As it turned out it was lower than the online prices I saw from most of the internet dealers and none those dealers had it in stock. My experience in the store was outstanding. I had my wife and two young daughters with me and they couldn't have been nicer. So I appreciated my experience there and we wear the pretty awesome t-shirts we bought on impulse.

Glock30Eric

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2013
    Big Dog Outfitters,
    I am going to refute you on this
    First off I am not a troll I am a customer with money to spend but have to watch how I spend it.

I mentioned the price of the 22 long rifle. The ammo I was talking about was a brick of the tactical 22 long rifle, When I asked the price and willing to buy I was told it was $100,

I was just in there a few weeks ago and you had a brick of 223 primers (not small rifle) and i asked ready to buy them I was quoted $10 a pack, I then asked how much for the brick and was told to X that by 10. I was just in there last week and you had a brick of the 223 primers I asked the girl behind the counter the price and she said $100. I walked away.

so you are not telling everyone the truth here or I was misquoted the prices by your people. because if the price was reasonable I would have bought the ammo and primers that moment.
    I do know what I was told and I do know the prices that where given to me!

as I said I don't mind paying a bit more for buying local and your great customer service but I am not going to pay prices that are unreasonably high!

As you stated it is your store and you can make your own policies, however a lot of people are telling you that you are loosing business because of them, a smart business would listen to the customers and change policy so they can bring in more money

"nally, we do not give out our prices over the phone. It's not because we are afraid of our prices, it has more to do with the fact that some of the same trolls here and elsewhere will ask for a price on something and mix it up with a similar model and then flame/claim that we are $400 over MSRP on it or that they can get it for $5 cheaper from Bud's gunshop or gunbroker." So you are saying that we don't know what we are asking for! well sir I know very well what I am talking about and what prices things are going for a lot of us do a lot of research before we buy something as big as a gun.

I just bought a mossberg MVP rifle from you and I paid well over MSPR however you where the only one that had the one I wanted it so I reluctantly bought it.

Can't you just admit that you are a really big cry baby?

Cry-Baby.gif

If you don't like how they run business then take your money to some where else and move on. I would go there again and they have served me pretty well. I love captialism and I don't mind to spend little more than MSRP just because I want to support the local businesses around So. MD. I want them to stay around longer. I support them and they will provide service/product to me.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    At the end of the day, I really hope that the comments of a few mus-informed and bitter individuals don't ruin a potentially positive experience for those who have not had a chance to visit our store.

I do want to thank all of you who have come to our store, and had a positive experience and have shared that experience with others. We look forward to continuing to be able to provide the products and service to you and the others who frequent our store.

I've been there and done that. Was in last Saturday with a purchase in mind. For the most part, prices are reasonable for what's in stock. Couldn't get a clear answer on a price for something not in stock. Left with nothing but some regret and disappointment.
    If I would not have been in the area, I certainly would not drive the distance just to get a quote. There are too many places willing to take my money to settle for mediocre service.

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    I don't mind to spend little more than MSRP just because I want to support the local businesses around So. MD. I want them to stay around longer. I support them and they will provide service/product to me.

News flash, they are in Virginia :sad20: Once you cross that bit of water by the power plant, you enter another state/area. There are other dealers in So.MD. that accept money and are decent folks ;)

Glock30Eric

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2013
    News flash, they are in Virginia :sad20: Once you cross that bit of water by the power plant, you enter another state/area. There are other dealers in So.MD. that accept money and are decent folks ;)

Remember this, I will need Outfitter for the +10 rds mags. Thank god they are really close to So. MD and I still consider them to be So.MD/VA. Anyway.

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    This thread should be deleted.

Have some respect for an industry partner who supports this site and has paid money to be a part of the team. Big Dog's are cool cats and have the right to sell anything at any price they choose. I find them to be extremely fair and with a great selection.

Do any of you that are "knocking" them realize how much it costs to operate a brick and mortar store? Rent? Employee salaries? Health care? Overhead? Electric? Taxes? Etc.

Anyways, please vent directly to Big Dogs and not on an open forum.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

Have some respect for an industry partner who supports this site and has paid money to be a part of the team. Big Dog's are cool cats and have the right to sell anything at any price they choose. I find them to be extremely fair and with a great selection.

Do any of you that are "knocking" them realize how much it costs to operate a brick and mortar store? Rent? Employee salaries? Health care? Overhead? Electric? Taxes? Etc.

I was thinking the same thing. Unless you run a small business you have absolutely no idea what it takes to keep the lights on and to have a decent selection of inventory in stock. Its a nice big store with nice people working there. Its not Walmart and its not the internet. If you want the cheapest possible price on something sit down at your computer for a few hours and eventually you'll find it. The day after you order it of course, someplace else will offer it at a cheaper price. Big Dog says their guns are at MSRP or less (with one exception). There it is, now you know. Go there or don't go there but please don't keep bashing a good gun store just because you think they should sell something cheaper than they do.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

I was thinking the same thing. Unless you run a small business you have absolutely no idea what it takes to keep the lights on and to have a decent selection of inventory in stock. Its a nice big store with nice people working there. Its not Walmart and its not the internet. If you want the cheapest possible price on something sit down at your computer for a few hours and eventually you'll find it. The day after you order it of course, someplace else will offer it at a cheaper price. Big Dog says their guns are at MSRP or less (with one exception). There it is, now you know. Go there or don't go there but please don't keep bashing a good gun store just because you think they should sell something cheaper than they do.

Time out, guys. The comments go both ways, IMNSHO.

MY negative comments have to do with not getting a price, when, as a member of this forum, I PM'd the IP for a price on a rifle that I was prepared to go buy....... and never got a response, then it was alluded to, that "I" am a troll.

Not very professional, calling members of the forum, a troll.

This is a fair concern. IP or no IP.

I'll make no other comments about this vendor/IP. Period.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Time out, guys. The comments go both ways, IMNSHO.

MY negative comments have to do with not getting a price, when, as a member of this forum, I PM'd the IP for a price on a rifle that I was prepared to go buy....... and never got a response, then it was alluded to, that "I" am a troll.

Not very professional, calling members of the forum, a troll.

This is a fair concern. IP or no IP.

I'll make no other comments about this vendor/IP. Period.

From the very start, Big Dog said right out of the gate, "we don't give prices over the phone." Of course some people bristled because they wanted to know the price. I do too but that's their call and I understand their reasoning. So if someone starts out saying we don't give out prices over the phone (translation we don't email prices either) then I wouldn't expect a return PM telling you what they've already stated in the their IP sticky info.

The whole name calling thing (both ways) is beyond me honestly. Either shop there or don't, your choice. Obviously Big Dog understands what they are giving up by alienating people who want pricing. My guess is that by virtue of the size and inventory of their store, they gain more sales than they lose by "forcing" people to walk in the door.
    Not everyone runs their business model primarily on pricing.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    From the very start, Big Dog said right out of the gate, "we don't give prices over the phone." Of course some people bristled because they wanted to know the price. I do too but that's their call and I understand their reasoning. So if someone starts out saying we don't give out prices over the phone (translation we don't email prices either) then I wouldn't expect a return PM telling you what they've already stated in the their IP sticky info.

The whole name calling thing (both ways) is beyond me honestly. Either shop there or don't, your choice. Obviously Big Dog understands what they are giving up by alienating people who want pricing. My guess is that by virtue of the size and inventory of their store, they gain more sales than they lose by "forcing" people to walk in the door.
    Not everyone runs their business model primarily on pricing.

In all of my 59+ years, I've never 'understood' where "we don't give out prices over the phone" (to quote you) "translates" to e-mail.

Different modes of communication.

Phone call - "Anyone can claim to be anyone!"
    PM - You're getting a message from a forum member.

Sorry. One does not translate to the other.

Either way..... I'll not darken his threshold.

Now, I'm done.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    In all of my 59+ years, I've never 'understood' where "we don't give out prices over the phone" (to quote you) "translates" to e-mail.

Different modes of communication.

Phone call - "Anyone can claim to be anyone!"
    PM - You're getting a message from a forum member.

Sorry. One does not translate to the other.

Either way..... I'll not darken his threshold.

Now, I'm done.

Understood. See you on the range :thumbsup:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=118775

TheWhiteBuffalo

Not Impressed
    Dec 26, 2012
    Hughesville, MD
    As far as not giving out prices, here is my personal thoughts.

Prices from vendors do change often, and by vendors I mean the people that supply Big Dog. There are also large variances in prices when compared to demand, supply, and features.

If Big Dog gives out a price, imagine how many people will come down days or weeks later still wanting that quoted price. Can you imagine the posts accusing them of "bait and switch" tactics? I sure can!

I imagine that it is much easier for the owner of Big Dog to stand in front of you and say that the price of this item is $xxxxx right now. Once you leave, expect things to change depending on one of the above scenarios. I am pretty sure this policy is MUCH easier on the employees and much easier on the business. Hey folks, the market does change and BIg Dog does have the right to change prices at any moment. The prices go up AND down, and the retailers are constantly adjusting.

I think the accusations regarding the policy of not giving out prices over the phone are way overblown. There is no malicious intent on they part of Big Dog, nor are they ashamed of anything. If they were ashamed, the last thing they would want to do is face you, in person, and then give you some bloated price tag. They simply encourage you to come in person and see what the current offers are. Internet retailers constantly change prices prices in the middle of the night, why should Big Dog be forced to stick to advertised prices for great lengths of time? The market changes.

Can we move on and discuss some other aspects of the awesome gun store? For instance, I purchased my shotgun there an got a kick ass Big Dog shirt for free :-)

Glock30Eric

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2013
    As far as not giving out prices, here is my personal thoughts.

Prices from vendors do change often, and by vendors I mean the people that supply Big Dog. There are also large variances in prices when compared to demand, supply, and features.

If Big Dog gives out a price, imagine how many people will come down days or weeks later still wanting that quoted price. Can you imagine the posts accusing them of "bait and switch" tactics? I sure can!

I imagine that it is much easier for the owner of Big Dog to stand in front of you and say that the price of this item is $xxxxx right now. Once you leave, expect things to change depending on one of the above scenarios. I am pretty sure this policy is MUCH easier on the employees and much easier on the business. Hey folks, the market does change and BIg Dog does have the right to change prices at any moment. The prices go up AND down, and the retailers are constantly adjusting.

I think the accusations regarding the policy of not giving out prices over the phone are way overblown. There is no malicious intent on they part of Big Dog, nor are they ashamed of anything. If they were ashamed, the last thing they would want to do is face you, in person, and then give you some bloated price tag. They simply encourage you to come in person and see what the current offers are. Internet retailers constantly change prices prices in the middle of the night, why should Big Dog be forced to stick to advertised prices for great lengths of time? The market changes.

Can we move on and discuss some other aspects of the awesome gun store? For instance, I purchased my shotgun there an got a kick ass Big Dog shirt for free :-)

taxi-drive-clap.gif

39876-The-Rock-applauds-applause-cla-OmWp.gif

36243-Heath-Ledger-Joker-clapping-gi-9fgv.gif

RAF

MDS Supporter
    Dec 24, 2012
    Stopped in Friday on the way home from vacation. Friendly staff, well stocked store. Picked up 6 30 rd P-mags & a pistol case for the wife. Plan on stopping by again the next time we're in the area.

Morgan321

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 6, 2013
    SOMD
    Its pretty simple, they don't give out prices because lots of their prices are sky high. If they give prices over the phone many people would simply buy elsewhere without setting foot in the store.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Its pretty simple, they don't give out prices because lots of their prices are sky high. If they give prices over the phone many people would simply buy elsewhere without setting foot in the store.

That's your opinion not fact. I'm a penny pincher when it comes to buying guns.I bought a rifle there Weds. Went back yesterday for 2 pistols. That makes 8 guns for me from Bog Dog this year. I wouldn't buy there if I couldn't get a deal !

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Was in the area yesterday, left with 1000 CCI small rifle primers. Last big pack, though they did have a few 100 packs left. Plus they had a few 1500 packs of Fioche small rifle primers in the case. They don't carry powder.

Friendly and helpful, price was ok for CCI. Fioche was out of my range. Didn't need that many either.
    Was on my way to a retirement party so didn't have a lot of time to spend there.
    Wouldn't mind going back when I have more time, They have a lot of stuff crammed in that place.

Morgan321

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 6, 2013
    SOMD
    I guess it's relative. I just moved here and their gun prices were 10-20% higher compared to what I am used to. The reloading supplies they had were similar. Ammo(except 5.56) and magazines were reasonable.

Before I moved here last month my local shop sold bulk federal 5.56 1000rd cases for $400 and 100rd cci .22lr for $8. And like I said, I paid $800 for a gun in Jan(panic frenzy) and they had it for $1050. This gun doesn't sell on gunbroker for even $900 now.... Another gun I paid $400 for they had at $460 and it sells on gunbroker for just under $400 now.

Their prices are inline with the other shops I've been to in somd though, looks like I'll just have to learn to accept that everything is more expensive here.

Please give examples of the "sky high" prices

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom