• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    When I was looking for a small compact to conceal carry, I went to Keepshooting and Mario showed my both the Nano and the XDs. The thing that turned me off about the Nano was the failure of the slide to lock back when the mag was empty. I don't particularly care for a pistol without a slide lock. Unless you count as you shoot, it is almost impossible to know when your mag is empty until you hit on an empty chamber. I guess you could always keep spare mag on hand and hot reload when in doubt. Anyway, I went with the XDs-45 because they were both about the same size and the XDs had more likable features. My XDs has now become my daily off duty carry gun.

Easy CZ

Feb 7, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I like my wife's Shield. I'm gonna take it for a pocket ride this week and see if it carries as easy as my LCR 357.

I love the feel and slimness of the Nano. The Sig 938 and 290RS are very cool too. I'm not a huge Kimberly fan, but the Solo looks intriguing. As does the CCP. And, I also want to try out the new kid on the block - the Remington R51.

e5ere3y6.jpg

I love diversity.

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    I have both a Nano and a Sig P290, and it's a hard to decide between them. I've been shooting the Nano about a year, with NO issues, and it's proven itself to me. Compared to my other "classic" pistols ,though ( CZ-75, Sig P-6) the trigger has such a long pull that I wonder if it will ever fire. It always does, but having vastly different trigger feel is why I purchased a P290. It's ergonomics are almost as nice as the Nano, and size is slightly smaller. The trigger is a little better in the two range sessions I've had it out. The P290 is also hammer fired with re-strike ability, which I believe is a plus feature, always assuming it works perfectly. If you had the opportunity to handle and shoot both, you'd probably have a hard time deciding between them.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I have both a Nano and a Sig P290, and it's a hard to decide between them. I've been shooting the Nano about a year, with NO issues, and it's proven itself to me. Compared to my other "classic" pistols ,though ( CZ-75, Sig P-6) the trigger has such a long pull that I wonder if it will ever fire. It always does, but having vastly different trigger feel is why I purchased a P290. It's ergonomics are almost as nice as the Nano, and size is slightly smaller. The trigger is a little better in the two range sessions I've had it out. The P290 is also hammer fired with re-strike ability, which I believe is a plus feature, always assuming it works perfectly. If you had the opportunity to handle and shoot both, you'd probably have a hard time deciding between them.

My wife has the Nano which I can carry but have never. I personally do not like the way it fits my hand and the trigger does not compare to my Glock triggers. I do not shoot the Nano very well which is a huge factor in choosing a carry gun. Lastly it doesn't feel that much smaller than my Glock 26. I have never tried the SIG 290RS but want to.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Reviews are probably worse than "mixed". I'd stay away from it for at least a year. The one I held was VERY stiff, and hard to rack the slide. I thought it was broken, it acted so bad. Nice size and weight, but I think there will be a lot of lemons in this first run.

Yeah, I was trying to be generous and let everyone draw their own conclusions. Early reviews from the major sources (American Rifleman, Handguns, G&A, etc.) were favorable (glowing?). They probably also receive advertising from Remington. The later reviews appear more independent and aren't pulling any punches. I agree this is a wait and watch from the sidelines until the bugs are all worked out in the first year or so. Amazingly there are people paying premiums for these right now on GB. My local FFL will special order at a discount, but a discounted pistol with reliability, quality, and disassembly/assembly issues is still too much to pay regardless of the price.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    My grip with the 8 round mag is what sold me.

I have continued to happily carry my Glock 26 ever since starting this thread (occasionally switched out for the G30S or SP101). I finally made it into Constitutional Firearms yesterday to look at the really small 9 mm's. I did not like the Ruger LC9 at all. The Sig P290 was shorter than the G26 but felt almost as chunky. The Shield had by far the best feel in my hand. I must admit I am surprised. I almost ordered the SIG P290 a few weeks ago now I am glad I didn't. While I think I would prefer a Glock single stack 9 mm the Shield appears to be a great option.

I did get to hold the Glock 42 (at a different shop) and I am certain a 9mm could be made in that size so I am weighing my options. Maybe the Shield until Glock has a single stack 9 mm. One can never own too many guns, right?

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I have continued to happily carry my Glock 26 ever since starting this thread (occasionally switched out for the G30S or SP101). I finally made it into Constitutional Firearms yesterday to look at the really small 9 mm's. I did not like the Ruger LC9 at all. The Sig P290 was shorter than the G26 but felt almost as chunky. The Shield had by far the best feel in my hand. I must admit I am surprised. I almost ordered the SIG P290 a few weeks ago now I am glad I didn't. While I think I would prefer a Glock single stack 9 mm the Shield appears to be a great option.

I did get to hold the Glock 42 (at a different shop) and I am certain a 9mm could be made in that size so I am weighing my options. Maybe the Shield until Glock has a single stack 9 mm. One can never own too many guns, right?

:thumbsup:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    My grip with the 8 round mag is what sold me.

Believe it or not I finally took the plunge and purchased a Shield yesterday at Constitutional Firearms. The deal was too good not to take. This is really Glock's fault for not making the 42 as a single stack 9 mm. :sad20: I had nightmare's last night about my failed Glock loyalty. :o The Shield will likely serve in a backup role for me as I can't see giving up the accuracy and capacity I get with my Glock 26 as a primary carry. I have to be honest even if Glock had a single stack 9 mm it would likely only be a backup for me. For concealed carry I think a Glock 26 is the perfect gun, there is no substitute.

On a side note I also bought the Ruger 22/45 lite for plinking. Another good deal. Thanks Paul @ Constitutional Firearms.

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    Love my p938, great little gun. Though I've heard some people having issues such as ftfire I haven't had one hiccup with mine so far!

My p938 is also a sweet shooter. My only wish is that it were a DA/SA action, instead of a mini-1911 . I have large hands at 6" 5" and I'm surprised that I shoot it so well.
    Brent

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    My p938 is also a sweet shooter. My only wish is that it were a DA/SA action, instead of a mini-1911 . I have large hands at 6" 5" and I'm surprised that I shoot it so well.
    Brent

I too am thinking about a small DA/SA.

For what it's worth, the CZ 2075 is what is on my mind. I have not had a chance to shoot, or even hold one at this point. But it seems to fit the bill as being the smallest DA/SA 9mm out there.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-2075-rami-bd-9mm-black-alloy-3-dot-tritium-sights-10-rd-mags/

brentb636

Nov 16, 2013
    Holland, Mi
    I too am thinking about a small DA/SA.

For what it's worth, the CZ 2075 is what is on my mind. I have not had a chance to shoot, or even hold one at this point. But it seems to fit the bill as being the smallest DA/SA 9mm out there.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-2075-rami-bd-9mm-black-alloy-3-dot-tritium-sights-10-rd-mags/

My sister has one and I shot it and was impressed. I like to buy my guns pre-owned, and haven't found a RAMI that fits that bill, yet. :)

punisher12b

Feb 4, 2013
    Montgomery County
    look towards the Bersa.. bp9cc .. it was a great little gun. ( i just didnt like the trigger) let me also say I have NOT liked anything so far that was striker fired glock 17 / Kahr CW40/ Bersa BP9CC the Kahr was a great gun as well just didnt like em for some reason.. always comes down to the trigger.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    Did you guys NOT read the OP's post #93 where he said he bought a Shield? Or are you just waxing philosophic about your 9mms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom