• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll make another prediction , that no single rifle platform will replace the market share of the AR-15 . This will include current off the shelf rifles , new variants of existing platforms , and totally new products.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I'll make another prediction , that no single rifle platform will replace the market share of the AR-15 . This will include current off the shelf rifles , new variants of existing platforms , and totally new products.

No but the market of .223 guns post ban will exceed the market pre ban, that's my prediction.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    1. Piston Driven AR's
    2. HBAR's
    3. .300 BLK AR's
    4. ACR if it ever takes off and comes down to ~$1500
    5. SCAR with same caveats.
    6. Berettas ARX-160

SB281, the firearms modernization act of 2013.
    -Jim

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Its no secret that the AR15 is the most popular/best selling rifle in American and in Maryland!! In your opinion, if the AWB goes in effect, what will replace the AR15 as most popular?

-non evil Mini-14
    -12 ga shotgun
    - .22 framed AR15 design rifle (SW-M&P22 etc)
    -Ruger 10/22

maybe I'll grab that rifle while they are available?
    Any AR with a H-BAR.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    1. Piston Driven AR's
    If the MSP allows these after the ban, I will be shocked. I understand a couple dealers are getting away with selling these as unregulated now... but unlikely that will continue once the MSP finds out about it when dealers start probing the edges of the law. Parts compatibility is very high with the AR-15, and they take the same mags. Operating system is somewhat different, but not THAT different.

3. .300 BLK AR's
    Going to be banned. 100% parts compatibility with the AR-15.

4. ACR if it ever takes off and comes down to ~$1500
    5. SCAR with same caveats.
    6. Berettas ARX-160
    You should add the Sig 556 to your list. All of these will need significant out-of-the-state work to be ban-compliant, since they all have a flash hider (as defined by SB281) and folding stock. The ARX-100 might get a MD-compliant model with a true comp, I suppose. Personal opinion: no gun that requires mods like these will ever have big market share in MD; there will just not be enough of them.

(Actually, caveat: there is a post-October compliant version of the ACR that has a fixed stock and a comp, and you can put a folding stock on it if you choose. But, as you've noted, the ACR is a non-entity at current pricing.)

My own predictions:
    1. Mini-14
    2. AR-15 HBAR
    3. AR-10
    4. Tactical-style 22s
    5. Tactical-style shotguns

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Never say never,etc. But the domince of a popular market segment with totally compatable gun by the AR is/was fairly unique to AR-15s . The closest was 1911s , but even there is more fitting required between parts of various sources , and more insvolved to build from scratch , and other .45acp pistols. Marlin & Winchester & Savage lever actions. Smith&Wesson and Colt DA revs. Winchester & Remington & Ithaca pump shotguns. Winchester & Remington & Savage bolt guns. Coltwoodsman & High Standard .22lr pistols. H&R and Iver Johnson , S&W , and many more breaktop revolvers. Remington 1100 did dominate gas operated shotguns for a while , but eventually there were several competetors instead of copies.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    If the MSP allows these after the ban, I will be shocked. I understand a couple dealers are getting away with selling these as unregulated now... but unlikely that will continue once the MSP finds out about it when dealers start probing the edges of the law. Parts compatibility is very high with the AR-15, and they take the same mags. Operating system is somewhat different, but not THAT different.

Going to be banned. 100% parts compatibility with the AR-15.

You should add the Sig 556 to your list. All of these will need significant out-of-the-state work to be ban-compliant, since they all have a flash hider (as defined by SB281) and folding stock. The ARX-100 might get a MD-compliant model with a true comp, I suppose. Personal opinion: no gun that requires mods like these will ever have big market share in MD; there will just not be enough of them.

(Actually, caveat: there is a post-October compliant version of the ACR that has a fixed stock and a comp, and you can put a folding stock on it if you choose. But, as you've noted, the ACR is a non-entity at current pricing.)

My own predictions:
    1. Mini-14
    2. AR-15 HBAR
    3. AR-10
    4. Tactical-style 22s
    5. Tactical-style shotguns

I would not call removing the flash hider significant work... it takes just a few minutes.

FWIW, having a different action (piston vs DI) is a huge deal. It is significant enough to warrant remaining not banned.

Mark

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I would not call removing the flash hider significant work... it takes just a few minutes.
    The problem is not popping the flash hider (usually), it's the whole stopover to do it out of state before the FFL can sell it that adds cost and trouble. Also the additional cost of the comp... I could see the whole operation adding a hundred bucks to the price of the gun when you factor in the labor.

FWIW, having a different action (piston vs DI) is a huge deal. It is significant enough to warrant remaining not banned.
    I agree with you, and the same logic applies to AR-15s with blowback uppers. But, that said, I doubt the AG will rule that way, and given that 99% of FFLs are already considering them regulated... that opinion the AG wrote gave a LOT of latitude to the MSP to declare things a clone for whatever reasons they choose.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    I'm going with the Engage series of rifles. They know the laws and are building bad ass rifles specifically for this state. I can not wait!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm going with the Engage series of rifles. They know the laws and are building bad ass rifles specifically for this state. I can not wait!
    If I were going to make a business out of producing MD-compliant HBARs, it seems like it would be easiest to just contract a large run to PSA or another large builder with remarked lowers... I assume there's a substantial discount when you buy 500 rifles from them at a time.

Engage is really just building high-end custom rifles that are HBARs because it's convenient... I doubt they'd be HBARs if they weren't unregulated.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've always wanted Ruger to design a Mini-14 around the .30-30 Winchester cartridge.

Never liked the 7.62x39 idea. Not enough kinetic energy down range. 125 grains just won't work on Bambi. Just my opinion.

A ten round, semi-auto .30-30 would be a great hunting and personal defense rifle. 150-170 grains will stop almost anything with legs. Four or two.

All Ruger has to do is elongate the receiver by a 1/2 inch and beef-up the recoil spring.

New magazines and done.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I'd think that the Mini-14 would increase even more in popularity.

I'm just thankful that of all things, I'll still be able to purchase a Garand barreled receiver...

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    If I were going to make a business out of producing MD-compliant HBARs, it seems like it would be easiest to just contract a large run to PSA or another large builder with remarked lowers... I assume there's a substantial discount when you buy 500 rifles from them at a time.

Engage is really just building high-end custom rifles that are HBARs because it's convenient... I doubt they'd be HBARs if they weren't unregulated.

I have thought of creating a company called "Free State Arms" just across the border in PA/VA that would specialize in buying and building HBARs and modding guns with comps to be compliant. Since they are unregulated, people could take them cash and carry or I would supply to MD FFLs. But I probably won't do it. Maybe someone else will, like the FFLs that may be leaving the state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom