• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • risk

Dec 7, 2011
    My dad is looking to buy a 9mm hand gun and I'm sure this has been hashed here and elsewhere before but does anyone have a recommendation? Price really is not a factor. My preference would be to recommend a double stack vs a single stack but I'm not sure it is a must. This would not be a cc gun so concealment is not a factor. This would be a SHTF side arm to add to his various rifles and cc gun.

risk

Dec 7, 2011
    He tried my sig p220 and wasn't a fan but tried a few 9's and really liked them vs the 45.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Glock 19/34/17 would be good choices for a SHTF gun. No safety to fumble with, and as reliable as a gun can get.

RUOMO10

Dec 16, 2012
    Maryland
    Yeah, HK isn't a bad choice and they are really nice. P226 is always nice. Glock of course, if you can find one. Friend of mine recently purchased a FNS and it is a pretty sweet firearm.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Arghhhh! The only way to find out the "best" 9 mm is to find out what works best for the shooter. I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm glad that you are taking an interest, but what works for me isn't necessarily going to work for you.

Go to a range that rents handguns and try them. I speak from personal experience. I tried several 9 mm and was looking forward to getting a Glock. Guess what, it didn't work for me, but another model worked perfectly. Find out what fits your hand, natural grip and aim the best and which one you are more comfortable operating. Don't just jump into this without test driving.

After your first, then you can start on wish list ones, but your guest really needs to be the one that naturally fits you best. It's an investment, treat it as such.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    as above, find a range that rents a bunch and try them all. fit is definitely a personal thing.

for value you prob won't beat a glock 17 though, super dependable, plenty accurate, lots of aftermarket parts and accessories (holsters, sights, mags, etc). their g34 is a size bigger and has been tried and tested as a competition gun.

Shaggy

Feb 8, 2013
    Westminster
    See what you started:) I like the Springfield XDM. I have a .40cal and love it.
    Like the other guy said, go to a range and try different ones. Good luck actually
    finding one to buy.

wiseguy813

Jul 11, 2011
    Lexington Park, MD
    I have an FNX-9 and love it. Also the wife has a Baby Eagle or Jericho in .40 and it is nice as well. I'm sure the 9mm is just as nice

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom