• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I think the real issue is that I don't put a death grip on the pistol. Especially with shooting while moving my hand is all over the place because I hold it pretty loose. Too long gone now, it ain't changin' :)

Malfunction drills don't scare me no mo either. Not that I have had an actual malfunction ever in the many thousands of rounds over 13 years. The 229 and Speer ammo I believe is the best gun/ammo combo ever. But you know that too. :thumbsup:

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I think the real issue is that I don't put a death grip on the pistol. Especially with shooting while moving my hand is all over the place because I hold it pretty loose. Too long gone now, it ain't changin' :)

Malfunction drills don't scare me no mo either. Not that I have had an actual malfunction ever in the many thousands of rounds over 13 years. The 229 and Speer ammo I believe is the best gun/ammo combo ever. But you know that too. :thumbsup:

I'm not a huge 229 guy, but aside from some QC issues Sig has had with their newer guns, I agree. You are correct, the design is reliable and they do run well with good combat accuracy. We don't see much in the way of problems with the Speer ammo either. Someone could do far worse than being armed with a 229 and some Gold Dot ammo. There are some that would like to see us move away from the Sig, but we just bought a bunch more. It isn't going away anytime soon. :)

Anyway sorry for drifting off topic of the Beretta. The point is with proper training and practice any of the modern quality handguns work just fine including the M92. The important thing is to train and understand the strengths, weaknesses, and nuances of each design. The exception of course is the 1911 which has no weaknesses. :D

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Heres my real take on this.

The army is complaining for some unknown reason that women and smaller soldiers dislike or cannot properly grasp the larger M9 grip. Yeah, there may be like 4 women in the army that are issued M9s so I don't really see the issue. Unless you are talking about female officers and senior Noncoms who will use the pistol in combat about as much as they would an M2.

The threaded barrel really is a spec ops thing and they are gonna do what they want anyway, so why make it unilateral across the board? whole lotta extra work unless grunts are gonna start getting hush puppies.

The rail is there cause all the other submissions are gonna have them. Joes will probably put lasers/ lights on them, I would. Holsters will be a problem. Some pencil pusher is going to point out that this guys light is not a NSN numbered model and therefore no one will mount anything there unless issued by the .gov, which probably won't happen, and when it does, somehow the cook battalion will get them.

That grip is stupid

The exposed barrel design is not well liked and needs to be replaced. It is not the AK of pistols, it gets sand in there, and it gets gritty.

I don't see a ton of savings here because about 85- 90 percent of the parts would need to be replaced to "upgrade" existing Berettas. Knowing the army, they would just buy new ones anyway. I never saw them convert an M16A4 to M4 even once. They just bought new ones.

Everyone is maxing out the tactical meter and not focusing on a quality, low maintenance, high capacity pistol with decent stopping power for actual use, not SOCOM, and Not some REMFs shoulder holster [where most sidearms end up.]

I think officers should be banned from being issued pistols and they should be isued to grunts who could use them. 90 percent of all Army pistols ride around on POG officers and SNCOs.

No matter what, it is an amazing door opener for any gun maker established or not and everyone is gonna try to win that contract, so you better bring your A game, and I think Beretta should have done better than dressing up an old design.

Armati

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 6, 2013
    Baltimore
    Actually looks like some great upgrades. Even if the Army does not adopt it, there should be a good availability of parts to civilian shooters.

I like the OEM threaded bbl. Trying to find a quality aftermarket threaded bbl is a PITA.

17rd sand resistant mags (like the CX4?). I hope these get an NSN and are stocked in the system. The issue mag is sad.

The slide readily converts to G configuration. This may not get a lot of play in the Big Army but SOF unit will appreciate it.

Replaceable Tritium sights. Bad things happen at night. The rail is also a welcome bonus because right now we have to use that nasty bolt on rail adapter.

While most guys who carry a pistol in the military will never appreciate all of the upgrades, the folks that really use their pistols will.

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Until the culture of half-assed handgun training is remedied in the Big Army, adopting a new service handgun won't amount to a hill of beans when Joe gets sent downrange and experiences the same problems that he's having with the M9. Buying new gear is a lot sexier than investing time and funds into a modern and relevant training regimen and qual courses.

Mike96ZJ

Mar 1, 2009
    California, MD
    Until the culture of half-assed handgun training is remedied in the Big Army, adopting a new service handgun won't amount to a hill of beans when Joe gets sent downrange and experiences the same problems that he's having with the M9. Buying new gear is a lot sexier than investing time and funds into a modern and relevant training regimen and qual courses.

Thats the truth right there. Sure joining the military got me into handguns, but the training from them sucked compared to everything I learned on my own.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Budget folks will make them say 'Yes' after they waste millions on the competition and the cost of adopting a completely new pistol is shown to be unfeasible.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Guess I'm in the minority here. I have an M9A1 with the rails and installed a threaded barrel as well. The new grips seem silly to me as I have big hands, but whatever, you can learn to shoot anything with a bit of practice.

As for the slide mounted safety, I like it. It is worked into my regimen to pull it up and use it for a firm hold while racking the slide. It's automatic. The caveat is that I've been shooting Ruger P-89s for years and it's the same motion.

What I HATE about the Beretta is the slippery as snot, slick ass black paint they put on them. Hope they addressed that with the new version. Other than that, It's a damn accurate pistol.

I'm no operator, but I can say as an IDPA competitor, it hits where I aim it. One other foible is the lack of holster options for having a mounted TLR light on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom