• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    In the Washington Times this morning, there was an article in the Commentary Section by Ugo Gussalli Beretta about the building of the new plant in Tennessee, not Maryland. I THINK IT WAS GREAT!

Here is a copy of the article link and a link to the article below that.

BERETTA: Gun maker seeks respect for the Second Amendment
    Maryland’s lost jobs are Tennessee’s gain

by Ugo Gussalli Beretta

My family has operated our business from the same small town in northern Italy for 500 years. This means that when we make a commitment to a local community, our hope is to do so for decades, if not centuries, to come.

We apply this same philosophy to all of our factories and locations throughout the world. Such a commitment is not a one-way street, though.

In return for our investment in jobs, facilities and assistance to the local economy, we ask for respect and a supportive business climate.

We deserve such respect. We make the standard sidearm for the U.S. armed forces. We also make firearms that police and consumers use to save their lives and the lives of others.

We also make sporting firearms that are enjoyed by tens of millions of people worldwide, from Olympic shooters to weekend hunters.

Our business has grown in recent years, and because of that, we needed to expand production in our U.S facility, located in Accokeek, just outside of Washington, D.C., in the Maryland suburbs.

Unfortunately, as we were planning that expansion, Maryland’s governor and legislature voted in favor of new regulations that unfairly attack products we make and that our customers want.

These regulations also demean our law-abiding customers, who must now be fingerprinted like criminals before they can be allowed to purchase one of our products.

We have seen these types of legislative proposals in Maryland before, and they never seem to reduce crime. Maybe this is because the proponents of such legislation blame the product instead of human misconduct.’

But in any event, because of these new restrictions and the pattern of harassment aimed at lawful firearm owners we have seen in Maryland over the decades, we decided to expand our facilities in a state that shows more respect for citizens who exercise their Second Amendment rights.

We chose Tennessee for our new facility expansion. Our plans for that location are extensive and long-lasting.

We chose Tennessee because the governor and legislators in that state understand what it means to support businesses (such as through job recruitment and training programs) that improve employment in the state without treating companies as a necessary evil.

We chose Tennessee also because the vast majority of its residents and their elected officials have shown that they respect and honor the American tradition of personal freedoms, including the right to bear arms.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...respect-of-the-second-amendmen/#ixzz2sSaYgy1j
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Dogmeat

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Montgomery County, MD
    It's pretty much exactly what was said at the hearings last year, but of course, the powers that be didn't listen. I guess they are not used to having people do what they say they are going to do!

Beretta has certainly moved up my purchase wish list!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I think I'm going to send a copy of that to my representatives to let them know that their support of SB281 had real consequences for the citizens of Maryland.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    I just wish that they'd written this a year ago, back when we needed all the help we could get. It probably wouldn't have made any difference, but you never know.

But still, I applaud them for taking a stand.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    What isn't clear is if they are shutting down Maryland. If the simply "expand" into Tennessee, MD really doesn't lose anything. Is there any more info on this?

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    In the Washington Times this morning, there was an article in the Commentary Section by Ugo Gussalli Beretta about the building of the new plant in Tennessee, not Maryland. I THINK IT WAS GREAT!

Here is a copy of the article link and a link to the article below that.

BERETTA: Gun maker seeks respect for the Second Amendment
    Maryland’s lost jobs are Tennessee’s gain

by Ugo Gussalli Beretta

My family has operated our business from the same small town in northern Italy for 500 years. This means that when we make a commitment to a local community, our hope is to do so for decades, if not centuries, to come.

We apply this same philosophy to all of our factories and locations throughout the world. Such a commitment is not a one-way street, though.

In return for our investment in jobs, facilities and assistance to the local economy, we ask for respect and a supportive business climate.

We deserve such respect. We make the standard sidearm for the U.S. armed forces. We also make firearms that police and consumers use to save their lives and the lives of others.

We also make sporting firearms that are enjoyed by tens of millions of people worldwide, from Olympic shooters to weekend hunters.

Our business has grown in recent years, and because of that, we needed to expand production in our U.S facility, located in Accokeek, just outside of Washington, D.C., in the Maryland suburbs.

Unfortunately, as we were planning that expansion, Maryland’s governor and legislature voted in favor of new regulations that unfairly attack products we make and that our customers want.

These regulations also demean our law-abiding customers, who must now be fingerprinted like criminals before they can be allowed to purchase one of our products.

We have seen these types of legislative proposals in Maryland before, and they never seem to reduce crime. Maybe this is because the proponents of such legislation blame the product instead of human misconduct.’

But in any event, because of these new restrictions and the pattern of harassment aimed at lawful firearm owners we have seen in Maryland over the decades, we decided to expand our facilities in a state that shows more respect for citizens who exercise their Second Amendment rights.

We chose Tennessee for our new facility expansion. Our plans for that location are extensive and long-lasting.

We chose Tennessee because the governor and legislators in that state understand what it means to support businesses (such as through job recruitment and training programs) that improve employment in the state without treating companies as a necessary evil.

We chose Tennessee also because the vast majority of its residents and their elected officials have shown that they respect and honor the American tradition of personal freedoms, including the right to bear arms.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...respect-of-the-second-amendmen/#ixzz2sSaYgy1j
    Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

AWESOME! I am not a huge fan of most Beretta firearms although I love my CX4 Storm and my wife owns a Nano. It is great to see the industry standing up to this non-sense. This guy gets it and is putting his money where his mouth is so to speak!!!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    What isn't clear is if they are shutting down Maryland. If the simply "expand" into Tennessee, MD really doesn't lose anything. Is there any more info on this?

It's only a matter of time. I am sure TN sees the big picture and knows that all of the jobs will come eventually. I hope Beretta offers all of the employees relocation assistance when the time comes. 300+ Marylanders may be headed toward the freedom in America at some point.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

Maybe stay for now then shutdown Maryland after they settle in and finish their gov contract.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I just wish that they'd written this a year ago, back when we needed all the help we could get. It probably wouldn't have made any difference, but you never know.

But still, I applaud them for taking a stand.

If I'm not mistaken A Beretta rep said something along those line sat the hearings last year.
    And they didn't give a damn!

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Great letter, glad to hear that from them. Being where it is, it probably won't get much exposure though.

Nope. MOM, Miller, and Busch will ignore it, a few fringe liberals will cheer about driving the "merchant of death" out of the state, and there might be some petty retaliation when the MSP goes to buy their next batch of handguns. That's about it.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Nope. MOM, Miller, and Busch will ignore it, a few fringe liberals will cheer about driving the "merchant of death" out of the state, and there might be some petty retaliation when the MSP goes to buy their next batch of handguns. That's about it.

I'm sure that moving to a business-friendly state will more than make up for the minimal profits they would get from selling their guns to this tiny state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom