• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    Speaking of foreign-manufactured all-steel high-capacity 9mm pistols... how about an Argentinean FM Hi-Power? My roommate had one for a bit; it was super-cheap, and really not that bad. Actually I really liked it! Everything seemed to fit a bit loose, but it still shot great.

Speaking of foreign-manufactured all-steel high-capacity 9mm pistols... how about an Argentinean FM Hi-Power? My roommate had one for a bit; it was super-cheap, and really not that bad. Actually I really liked it! Everything seemed to fit a bit loose, but it still shot great.

Unless they've sold it in the past couple of weeks, Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury has a very nice FM Hi Power for $425. I know it's nice because they got it from me in a partial trade for my S&W 19-4. Have it shipped to your favorite FFL (I prefer Gun Connection), order up a couple of extra MecGar mags, and for around $500 you've got all the 9mm you need. Hi Powers have soul.

Mr H

Banana'd
    As an adult, I am fortunate enough to have relatives that give me cash for Christmas. Traditionally, about six months out, I begin the research for my next big gun purchase since that is the only time during the year I have any kind of disposable income. Carolyn and I don't use credit cards (though we have one) and with a limited income, I have decided to go with quality and not quantity.

Rock Island 1911- Well, for one, it's a 1911. It's also at a price point that I will most likely be looking at. I don't need bells and whistles. I want something that shoots.

J-Frame S&W- I am already reloading .38 Spl, and this would keep it in the family. CCW is imminent here, so it would be nice to carry something that doesn't weigh 100 lbs. I don't care about pre-lock or any of that crap.

I am welcoming any input. Alternate suggestions are welcome, as well. My list is just a jumping off point and isn't etched in stone.

I like your approach... since it's one I'll likely be employing going forward (I know... blows the Hell out of the Designated Collector, doesn't it?!! :D )

Anyway... I've only referenced the ones I have experience with, and I may add as I type.

RIA 1911... I have the one from last year's Group Buy. While I love the accuracy and the feel, I would caution you to be aware of fit and finish. It may be that mine is 1:1000... but that one is a potential issue until it's worked out.

J-Frame... Wife's "Nightstander" is a Model 60. Solid, yes. Looks and feels good. Great sightlines with the Hi-Vis. Heavier than it looks, and is still kicky (even for me). As much as I do like it for a close-in safety valve, that really is about it. Outside 25', it's not a gamble I'm willing to take.

Other thoughts...

M&P (choose your caliber, and you'll be happy)... Even only shooting handguns for only 3-4 years, the M&P series is amazing. My .40 (and my son's .45) have a collective 6-8000 rounds through them with few enough failures as to be insignificant.

Ruger GP-100... Yes, it's a large frame. But, it's exceptionally smooth and well-balanced, and very handle-able in any load.

SIG P239 SAS... 'Nuff sed. :D

You must... choose... wisely.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Lots of suggestions for the Hi-Power :D, it's Joe's gun for sure. I'll have one some day too. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom