• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If my math is correct thats an 8.7% success rate. Maryland isnt serious about reducing the bear population.

Without Bait or Dogs , that's actually on the high side . Pennsylvania typically runs 2-3 % . In parts of Virginia without dogs , Bears are mainly taken as random opportunity during the week that overlaps Deer season .

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Outrider took this pic of me when we were scouting. He said if I go in about 20 minutes after him, the real bears will follow me and he can bag one. Something about doing the forum a favor. I don’t get it, but I’m a team player. View attachment 384981
    I was thinking this was what was going to be posted...

HlhRL7I.gif

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have ZERO problem with others hunting and understand it's even good for the population. BUT.......I couldn't shoot a bear. They are just too darned cute. Sooooooo, good luck to you guys. I sincerely wish you success.
    I could for sure shoot one if I thought it was going to attack me. I've had bear, it is tasty. I just don't have any overwhelming desire to hunt them*. That said, I have zero issues with hunting bear, and good luck Outrider and Teratos!

*I wouldn't turn my nose up at a bear hunt, just not something I'll probably ever seek out. I also don't have an overwhelming desire the hunt mountain goats or big horned sheep either. But if someone handed me such a hunt, sure why not :-).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I could for sure shoot one if I thought it was going to attack me. I've had bear, it is tasty. I just don't have any overwhelming desire to hunt them*. That said, I have zero issues with hunting bear, and good luck Outrider and Teratos!

*I wouldn't turn my nose up at a bear hunt, just not something I'll probably ever seek out. I also don't have an overwhelming desire the hunt mountain goats or big horned sheep either. But if someone handed me such a hunt, sure why not :-).
    Thanks brother!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You know some of us that didn’t draw would like to live vicariously through you guys that did. The only way that can work is with some updates. Be so kind as to paint us a picture
    Ok. It looked like this for 12 hours.
    We saw a couple of deer and tons of chipmunks. Only heard 2 shots in the distance all day. Unfortunately, that was it. Nice day to sit in the woods with a buddy.
    802991CA-D79A-480E-B486-CF21A4D17BF2.jpeg

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You know some of us that didn’t draw would like to live vicariously through you guys that did. The only way that can work is with some updates. Be so kind as to paint us a picture
    It was pretty slow. We heard two shots all day. One in the am(10am ish), which could have come from the area we were hunting or very near to it. The other(4pm ish) was a bit further away and sounded as though it came from across the road and a ways up it.

It got really warm, near 70F, perfect bluebird sky. The kind of day I would be in a treestand, deer hunting. We sat in an area where we had decent visibility, but only saw two deer and a bazillion chipmunks. I think it was just a tad too warm to expect much bear activity all day(but I am a bear hunting novice). Just as the sun began to sink behind the ridge, a flock of robins flushed with a clamor, then all went eerily quiet. I knew there was a predator on the prowl. Unfortunately, whatever it was, bear, bobcat, coyote, it never showed, and after a short while, the woods came back to normal life. It could be that whatever it was, maybe picked us off. The wind was gentle, but variable.

We had planned on giving it another go this morning, but decided to bag it and head back home. We ran into Albeight back at the hotel and we chatted for a while. He is a much more experienced bear hunter and had some good advice for we rookies.

Thanks goes out to Park Ranger for giving us a few options on where to hunt and even doing a little scouting with us, and to Albeight for sharing his experience and insights on bear hunting in Md. Thank you both gentlemen!

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    No problem. I hear only 16 bears were harvested yesterday in Garrett County and 22 state wide. Saw a good number of bear hunters out. There were two shots today at Deep Creek Lake SP- not confirmed yet if bear or squirrel hunters.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No problem. I hear only 16 bears were harvested yesterday in Garrett County and 22 state wide. Saw a good number of bear hunters out. There were two shots today at Deep Creek Lake SP- not confirmed yet if bear or squirrel hunters.
    Good meeting you! Appreciate your help!!

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    Ok. It looked like this for 12 hours.
    We saw a couple of deer and tons of chipmunks. Only heard 2 shots in the distance all day. Unfortunately, that was it. Nice day to sit in the woods with a buddy.
    View attachment 385204
    It was pretty slow. We heard two shots all day. One in the am(10am ish), which could have come from the area we were hunting or very near to it. The other(4pm ish) was a bit further away and sounded as though it came from across the road and a ways up it.

It got really warm, near 70F, perfect bluebird sky. The kind of day I would be in a treestand, deer hunting. We sat in an area where we had decent visibility, but only saw two deer and a bazillion chipmunks. I think it was just a tad too warm to expect much bear activity all day(but I am a bear hunting novice). Just as the sun began to sink behind the ridge, a flock of robins flushed with a clamor, then all went eerily quiet. I knew there was a predator on the prowl. Unfortunately, whatever it was, bear, bobcat, coyote, it never showed, and after a short while, the woods came back to normal life. It could be that whatever it was, maybe picked us off. The wind was gentle, but variable.

We had planned on giving it another go this morning, but decided to bag it and head back home. We ran into Albeight back at the hotel and we chatted for a while. He is a much more experienced bear hunter and had some good advice for we rookies.

Thanks goes out to Park Ranger for giving us a few options on where to hunt and even doing a little scouting with us, and to Albeight for sharing his experience and insights on bear hunting in Md. Thank you both gentlemen!

Thanks guys. Sounds like you had a good time and that’s all any of us can ask.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks guys. Sounds like you had a good time and that’s all any of us can ask.
    Absolutely. Fun trip. I never hunt with big expectations, but enjoy the process. Not being a seasoned hunter, getting out with a guy like Outrider is very educational for me.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    It was great meeting Outrider and the Doc last night. I was really hoping they had better luck than me. If I was deer, turkey, or chipmunk hunting it would’ve been a banner day yesterday. I did manage to get out for a quick morning hunt this morning then packed it in myself, too much happening at work to risk being stuck out that way late into the night tonight when I had to be back in the office early tomorrow. I still plan to head back out Friday afternoon and Saturday, work (& weather) depending. If anyone else is still out, good luck. We left a few out there for y’all for sure.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    It was great meeting Outrider and the Doc last night. I was really hoping they had better luck than me. If I was deer, turkey, or chipmunk hunting it would’ve been a banner day yesterday. I did manage to get out for a quick morning hunt this morning then packed it in myself, too much happening at work to risk being stuck out that way late into the night tonight when I had to be back in the office early tomorrow. I still plan to head back out Friday afternoon and Saturday, work (& weather) depending. If anyone else is still out, good luck. We left a few out there for y’all for sure.
    Thanks for the update. Cool you guys ended up staying at the same place.
    I noticed your time frame and double checked the season length. That’s cool they made it longer and included a weekend day! Don’t know when that changed but good luck when you get back out.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Good to meet you, sir! Maybe next year, if we are blessed with tags, we can plan something!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom