• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Malachi.2.15

Jan 27, 2011
    So...by extension, does this potentially make it unconstitutional to ban carry on all federal property and allow us to carry on a military base?

Asking for a friend...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So...by extension, does this potentially make it unconstitutional to ban carry on all federal property and allow us to carry on a military base?

Asking for a friend...
    This is course applies right now to only one person (the plaintiff), though we can imagine the 2A will eventually prevail across all circuits and in more than just post offices - but the court-o-rama carnival ride will likely take years. Even so, though, I doubt it would extend to military bases, or anyplace else where security is provided by people on duty actually carrying guns.

Medusa Joe

Industry Partner
    May 28, 2020
    Hollywood, MD
    At any rate, when it absolutely has to get there before the Vernal Equinox, mail it inside, where they haven't learned how to steal the mail yet.
    they have learned how to steal the mail inside. it's happening at the distribution centers where all of the mail comes together and gets post marked and sorted. several checks of mine were stolen from the DC center, one was washed and electronically deposited. it was a horrible "washing" (name & amount), but passed either photo deposit or ATM deposit. no teller in their right mind would have believed it was legit (unless said teller was in on the gig). luckily my credit union got took care of me and i got it all back.

rumor i heard was the post office (or distribution center in this case) was having a hard time filling positions (who wants to work after COVID?) because candidates could not pass background checks, nor drug testing. they waived those requirements just to get bodies to fill positions. and this is what happens when you hire folks like this. again rumor, as i have no proof.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    18 U.S. Code § 930
    Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

39 CFR § 232.1
    (l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

[edited for typo]
    Just because the sign says Post Office doesn't ALWAYS mean it's "Government property" if it's located in like a strip mall....that's IS NOT Gov't Property... they lease the space

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Those with access to machine tools and who know chemistry will always have the option of being armed.
    I have both, and a giving spirit. I'm always ready to help a fellow man better understand science....

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    CMC

Never saw a metal detector in a post office.

Although I cannot imagine anybody being so irresponsibly brazen as to enter a US Post Office without first going home and locking up his gun before returning to mail his letter or whatever...
    There are what look like metal detectors in the Edgewater, MD post office.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Just because the sign says Post Office doesn't ALWAYS mean it's "Government property" if it's located in like a strip mall....that's IS NOT Gov't Property... they lease the space

I believe this is incorrect. I think once a governmental lease is signed, the property now enjoys all the benefits of being "public" property. If in a strip mall, they (strip mall owners) can not prevent you from accessing the post office.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I believe this is incorrect. I think once a governmental lease is signed, the property now enjoys all the benefits of being "public" property. If in a strip mall, they (strip mall owners) can not prevent you from accessing the post office.
    There are probably some intricacies to it for sure...but it's also a stretch to call it Government Property for sure, based on some Postal workers (not just carriers) I have spoken with

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    There are probably some intricacies to it for sure...but it's also a stretch to call it Government Property for sure, based on some Postal workers (not just carriers) I have spoken with

No, not even intricacies and not a stretch. If a USPS has an office, for practical purposes, the entire facility and access to it is treated as public property. I did lol at the postal employee comment though. I think no one would know less about postal laws than postal employees.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    No, not even intricacies and not a stretch. If a USPS has an office, for practical purposes, the entire facility and access to it is treated as public property. I did lol at the postal employee comment though. I think no one would know less about postal laws than postal employees.
    The ones that actually run/manage a given facility will know as they would have to have it maintained, etc...

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    The ones that actually run/manage a given facility will know as they would have to have it maintained, etc...

No, not even close. Ask one of your USPS friends if you can bring a video camera into the post office and film everything and everyone I am genuinely curious what they will say.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    In the mid 90's I bought a new Mossberg shotgun. The trigger was messed up and I wanted to send it back to Mossberg for repairs. I had tossed the box before then......long story about that.
    I called the Hampstead Post Office to tell them I had a shotgun to send back ,but I had no box.
    To my surprise, the lady said to just bring it on in and they would supply an appropriate size box. I asked a second time in case she didnt hear me correctly. I asked if I needed to have it in a case or broke down and she said again to just bring it on in, just dont point it anybody.
    Thats what I did and even though I felt like I was doing something totally illegal, not one person reacted in any way. I may as well have been holding a sandwich
    As it should be.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD

In the case of a public strip mall, only the leased space is affected/covered by the USPS or Federal facility prohibitions. The strip mall public parking lot is not prohibited property.

If they lease a specific portion of lot (e.g. some lease an adjacent fenced area for their vehicles) that would be prohibited/covered also.

As opposed to a stand-alone Post Office where prohibition includes their parking lot/property.

beetles

MDS Supporter
    Dec 19, 2021
    If you have been to older post offices that have the painted murals from the 1930s WPA public arts program, there are depictions of postal workers wearing revolvers. Of course that was when payrolls were paid in cash and the postal service carried high-value materials regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom