• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danimalw

Ultimate Member
    Over the years thru dumbass user and dumb luck, missed a few with the flintlock. Slow ignition, not following thru, etc... Yesterday the monkey on my back held on for dear life but after 3 flashed Pans (thinking touch hole partially blocked with bore butter since powder from main charge didn't trickle out after loading), filled a tag on the 4th attempt. 1.5 yr old doe.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Over the years thru dumbass user and dumb luck, missed a few with the flintlock. Slow ignition, not following thru, etc... Yesterday the monkey on my back held on for dear life but after 3 flashed Pans (thinking touch hole partially blocked with bore butter since powder from main charge didn't trickle out after loading), filled a tag on the 4th attempt. 1.5 yr old doe.
    Way to keep at it!

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Well, my son has opened the Jeep season this morning in NC. Steel bumper got some minor damage, one fog light was lost. It was a nice 8-pt buck as he said.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    My hat is off to you. Takes a lot of dedication to go out into the woods, deer hunting with a flintlock.

i don’t have a flintlock (yet) but I can just imagine that slow ignition. I recently acquired a .54 Hawken percussion, and sometimes I sense the click-boom even from that.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    My hat is off to you. Takes a lot of dedication to go out into the woods, deer hunting with a flintlock.

i don’t have a flintlock (yet) but I can just imagine that slow ignition. I recently acquired a .54 Hawken percussion, and sometimes I sense the click-boom even from that.
    Thanks, amazing that monkey left me alone while At the range... No misfires, fast ignition...

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Glad to see you scored. Curious as to what brand of ole' sparky you've got.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Shakes? Normally not before a shot anymore. I'm concentrating too intently. After the shot, a huge adrenal dump, especially after shooting a good deer.
    I don't think I ever "really" had buck fever even though I was aware that it is a thing.

However, I will never forget my first chance and closest a buck ever came to me. My friend took me bow hunting up in Monkton once. As he was instructing me about the tree stand and his experiences there, he told me that in a little while, deer would appear and come down the hill toward the tree I would be in. He even said that he has had them come directly under him.

He then went off to his stand elsewhere. About 1 hour later, the first deer to appear was the buck. He did exactly as my buddy said he would. came sideways and downward toward me. However, like I said, I didn't exactly get buck fever, I mostly had inexperienced Bow Hunter thoughts cross my mind. The first was HOW do I know when to begin the deed. When will I know he is in a good spot to draw, how do I let him get close enough and not make any noise or movement he would pick up etc? As it unfolded, he never gave me a good broadside shot as his trajectory was totally head on toward me and the tree. I did my best to conceal my silhouette against the tree, waited and then waited some more and drew on him just as soon as I felt he gave me the best possible angle which was nil. I was holding my draw to see if he would give me a window to his vitals once he finally cleared me tree, but suddenly he spooked and bolted.

I think I learned a lot with this being my first buck and my first bow effort.

In the next 45 minutes or so, he never came back, but a doe essentially followed the same route the buck did, except she gave me a good shot. This time I did not hold back and let it fly. No luck however, the arrow glanced off a limb in front of her and off she went.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Here I am today dreaming of finally getting out to go, and for motivation I tried to find a few vids and or pics that my Ohio cousin's son has on a channel he does on Youtube. He and his brother and friends, have landed some monster bucks for sure.

1698612271353.png

He got this one with a bow.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Lyman .54 great plains
    That's neat. My Pedersoli has what is called a "patent breech" and it is kind of a pain. When I load if I don't smack the left side of the breech two or three times to get the powder down to the touch hole I have a real problem getting it to fire. But when I do that and push a pin into the hole she fires every time without much delay. I don't know how the Lyman is made but maybe try doing what I do it may help. Oh, and mine is .45 caliber and I use 3F and when I tried 2F it was really difficult to get it to the touch hole.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    That's neat. My Pedersoli has what is called a "patent breech" and it is kind of a pain. When I load if I don't smack the left side of the breech two or three times to get the powder down to the touch hole I have a real problem getting it to fire. But when I do that and push a pin into the hole she fires every time without much delay. I don't know how the Lyman is made but maybe try doing what I do it may help. Oh, and mine is .45 caliber and I use 3F and when I tried 2F it was really difficult to get it to the touch hole.

Thanks. I usually do the same too.and when I did that, nothing came out the touch hole (which I had tweaked for better ignition). When nothing came out (use 2f for main charge) I knew I screwed myself with bore butter at end of last season (when I had yet another miss,on a deer).

So much to learn and remember with the flinter compared to my boring but so dependable inline.

I shoot it just enough to remind me I need to focus on flinter and try to remember all of its quirks. Fun but frustrating too

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom