• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Pulled him out a few hours ago. Only ran about 20 yards away from where I hit him.

Decent 8 point. I’m lucky enough to be able to hunt a big enough property with an abundance of deer, but if I didn’t get him, somebody else would’ve.
    Nice - congrats! Look like some healthy neck roasts on that one!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Pulled him out a few hours ago. Only ran about 20 yards away from where I hit him.

Decent 8 point. I’m lucky enough to be able to hunt a big enough property with an abundance of deer, but if I didn’t get him, somebody else would’ve.
    Nice - congrats! Look like some healthy neck roasts on that one!

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Cold and quiet

Only 7 guys showed up to hunt counting me and i barely count.

Soon enough hunters will be extinct like cave men and dinosaurs

Good luck to everyone out there today
    Where did you go? I counted about the same. I would agree, people are losing interest in hunting.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Where did you go? I counted about the same. I would agree, people are losing interest in hunting.
    I'm not a fan of public land so It's harder to get excited. I have never gotten a deer on public land and I've also had bad experiences with places being too crowded with hunters. All my local private spots have been sold so that's really my only option now.

My goal is to own a ton of land someday so I can do what I want

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

Congrats on the deer and that great looking pup

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Pay attention to the wind shifts if you are hunting wood lots. The deer will normally reposition themselves to the down wind side of the lot so they can use their eyes to see down wind and their noses to 'see' up wind.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Congrats Dan!

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I am hunting right outside Lineboro. I heard more shots today than any opening day since I been hunting this property, Md and Pa was booming. I got 2 year old 7 pt right at 8 0'clock. He was pushing 2 small does. I heard him grunt once before I saw him.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county

Been seeing an increase in folks hunting public last few years in Southern MD, and Amish are hitting it hard too.

Wife continued her streak this am, small buck dogging a doe.

Attachments

• IMG_20221126_080314939.jpg
      IMG_20221126_080314939.jpg
      441.7 KB · Views: 56

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Hungry Hungry Hind.
    I went to Sika Island this morning, and this is what I found happening there.
    Couple of them came through, snagged some corn up, and this one didn't get any at all.

Till it started head butting the feeder bottom. Then the all the others had enough/ ran off.
    Lucky I didn't feed them some lead in the meantime....
    Nice deer pics here today, the one with the old Mosin is way cool!
    Be careful out there-Have fun!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Pay attention to the wind shifts if you are hunting wood lots. The deer will normally reposition themselves to the down wind side of the lot so they can use their eyes to see down wind and their noses to 'see' up wind.
    Freaking Jinx!!!! As I’m reading this the wind shifted to the wrong direction!

Sounds like WW3 out here in Damascus. Hearing lots of double shots too. Didn’t see any antlers in truck beds passing by sunshine burgers, hopefully there were at least some does in those beds.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Freaking Jinx!!!! As I’m reading this the wind shifted to the wrong direction!

Sounds like WW3 out here in Damascus. Hearing lots of double shots too. Didn’t see any antlers in truck beds passing by sunshine burgers, hopefully there were at least some does in those beds.
    As I'm reading this, the wind shifted again. Hopefully it was just an errant gust.

What i described in my post, I've witnessed numerous times, especially on days like today's weather pattern.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Had a cowhorn spike pose for me for 30 minutes while hanging with a button. Nothing worth waking the neighbors up over. The most shooting i've heard in years. A few got their shots in before legal by 10 minutes.
    Their phones must have been running fast. Lol

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Good number of shots around me in Princess Anne this morning; but nothing on my patch of woodland*. Hopefully this evening is more successful. Maybe this guy will show up again:

2B4AF05E-7B3C-4F8F-888E-9F332D6C3F5C.jpeg

8FFD3F29-3BC5-4BA9-90CF-6D2A47DBDA43.jpeg

* I’ve got a few hundred yards on the north boundary that buys to private land (no hunting public to the east and west; crop land to the south). The fella that has the lease on that property was in my phone the day after I put up the posted signs clearly looking for an offer to lease him some (not happening). He has stalked me a half dozen times that I’ve been down here over the last several months until a few weeks ago he grew impatient waiting for the [not forthcoming] invitation, and asked expressly if he could lease the 7 or so acres that form a sort of boundary with his current lease. Repeated what I had said when he had danced around the topic previously that I wasn’t leasing anything to anyone this year - but decided to take a look at the area he was begging over. Sure enough there is a well maintained bubba stand smack dab in the middle (I have a half dozen of these spread over each corner of the 72 acres, but only this one has fresh screws here and there without a spot of rust)…. Pretty sure the old neighborino shot himself something out of it this morning. Gotta deal with that issue…

BB724017-6303-4E3F-998E-AEA96DE227A0.jpeg

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    I saw a doe within about 20 yards while we were both in the DMZ (aka safety zone) this morning. She didn't see me but I gave her a tilt of my hat as she passed. I watched to make sure she didn't cut back into the gun-line, and watched her stay in the safety zone as she left public land. On my way back to my vehicle, I bumped a tiny anterless.

I'm out on public right now. Fingers crossed to see my now legal 6 pointer come strolling in.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Ill talk to him, worst is to agree on something and not have enough to pay for it/people that aren't serious enough to pony up when the time comes.
    Thats usually what prevents this sort of thing from developing further. The other thing is the lands in their entirey are significant if it goes full shebang.

If it's a lease with sika I'm interested and could likely pull one or two other guys. Shoot me a PM if it gets serious and we can chat.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Our family farm in Charles county

A nice 8 pointer and a spike and a doe so far today for the crew with two misses. And nothing but relaxing and eating for me though. I just love being here and outdoors and with these guys so if I don’t shoot a deer it’s ok with me

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Good number of shots around me in Princess Anne this morning; but nothing on my patch of woodland*. Hopefully this evening is more successful. Maybe this guy will show up again:

View attachment 389673
    View attachment 389672

* I’ve got a few hundred yards on the north boundary that buys to private land (no hunting public to the east and west; crop land to the south). The fella that has the lease on that property was in my phone the day after I put up the posted signs clearly looking for an offer to lease him some (not happening). He has stalked me a half dozen times that I’ve been down here over the last several months until a few weeks ago he grew impatient waiting for the [not forthcoming] invitation, and asked expressly if he could lease the 7 or so acres that form a sort of boundary with his current lease. Repeated what I had said when he had danced around the topic previously that I wasn’t leasing anything to anyone this year - but decided to take a look at the area he was begging over. Sure enough there is a well maintained bubba stand smack dab in the middle (I have a half dozen of these spread over each corner of the 72 acres, but only this one has fresh screws here and there without a spot of rust)…. Pretty sure the old neighborino shot himself something out of it this morning. Gotta deal with that issue…

View attachment 389671
    Leave a note on the tree and unscrew the steps ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom