ATF to Issue New Ruling on Monday regarding New Restrictions on Shotgun Importation

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    3-gun isn't recognized by the ATF as a sporting purpose IIRC, they only consider hunting game.

It is only slow-fire bullseye and hunting that are considered "sporting uses."

ATF issued a 126-page advisory report in the late '90's on whether rifles with no evil "assault weapon" features, but that still could accept standard-capacity magazines, had a "sporting use.' Therefore, the question was whether "large capacity military magazine rifles" (exact quote) met the "sporting use" test.

Here is a link to the attached report:
    Department of the Treasury Study on the Sporting Suitability of Modified Semiautomatic Assault Rifles (4/98)

From the Exec Summary (pg. 2):
    After weighing all the information collected, we found that the LCMM rifles are not
    generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes
    and are therefore not importable. However, this decision will in no way preclude the
    importation of true sporting firearms.

From page 14:
    Both the 1994 law and its legislative history demonstrate that Congress recognized that
    ammunition capacity is a factor in determining whether a firearm is a sporting firearm. For
    example, large capacity ammunition feeding devices were banned, while rifles and
    shotguns with small ammunition capacities were exempted from the assault weapon ban.
    Moreover, the House Report specifically states that the ability to accept a large capacity
    magazine was a military configuration feature which was not "merely cosmetic," but
    "serve[d] specific, combat-functional ends."46

From page 17:
    While some may consider practical shooting a sport, by its very nature it is closer to police/combat-style competition and is not comparable to the more traditional types of sports, such as hunting and organized competitive target shooting. Therefore, we are not convinced that practical shooting does, in fact, constitute a sporting purpose under section 925(d)(3).49 (...)

and page 17-18:
    Moreover, the legislative history makes clear that the use of a military weapon in a practical shooting competition would not make that weapon sporting: “if a military weapon is used in a special sporting event, it does not become a sporting weapon. It is a military weapon used in a special sporting event.”51 While none of the LCMM rifles are military weapons, they still retain the military feature of the ability to accept a large capacity military magazine.

Attachments

• treas-study-on-sporting-suitability-of-modified-semiautomatic-assault-rifles.pdf
      3.2 MB · Views: 57

Fodder4Thought

New Dad!!
    Jul 19, 2009
    mbz300sdl said:
    I have one i think its made in brazil that said i love shooting it :thumbsup:

Yeah, I'm quite fond of mine, too. My biggest gripe is that bigger magazines don't seem to exist.

I wonder how hard it would be to make some the next time I go visit my brother in VA...

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    :mad54: I can't believe society as a whole even follows these laws. The founding fathers probably would have laughed and said F**K you to these goons. :sad20:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Sounds like a business opportunity for a US manufacturer to clone them.

They're simple enough to build. Hmmmmmmm.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    They would cost alot more if made domestically. 95% of the gun public are just too darn cheap.

So, 6 or $650 retail instead of the going rate of 500?

Hell, I don't think most folks in the Saiga market would blink at that or even more for a US manufactured gun but you're right about folks in general being cheap.....especially these days.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    They would cost alot more if made domestically. 95% of the gun public are just too darn cheap.

Trying to say something? :innocent0

So, 6 or $650 retail instead of the going rate of 500?

Hell, I don't think most folks in the Saiga market would blink at that or even more for a US manufactured gun but you're right about folks in general being cheap.....especially these days.

I was raised that way. It goes back in my family for generations. :D

dswanmd

Feb 23, 2010
    If this were to go through, would this affect performing conversions on existing saigas?

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    If this were to go through, would this affect performing conversions on existing saigas?

If I were hedging, I'd buy the pistol grip and drum magazine TODAY. Folding mechanism for the stock might be a good one too.
    If ATF is going for the "scary" stuff, those would fit the bill.
    All of those things are going to disappear quickly I'd guess when the panic buying ensues.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Saiga-12 acquired (at an okay price), conversion stuff + drum ordered. Yeah, I had a hard time justifying the cost, but I'd rather get one now while I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom