• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    No, as a matter of fact, my Trustee live in PA and I live in MD. FYI I had a "store bought" trust at one point. I had a friend of mine look at it and was told it was full of holes. I ended up having a NFA lawyer amend mine. It went from 6 pages to 50.....

Ok, thanks for the info!

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    One last question.

After going through the NFA process of fingerprinting and CLEO, what are your legal responsibilities after that?

You must have the tax stamp with you when you have the item out, but is there anything else? Are you agreeing to BATFE inspections...that sort of thing?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    You must have the tax stamp with you when you have the item out,

There is no rule that says this. The only law on the books about it is that your documentation "must be made available upon the request of any ATF officer." It does not specify how or when, but the ATF does recommend that you take a copy of your stamp with you whenever you're transporting it. Don't take the original.

but is there anything else? Are you agreeing to BATFE inspections...that sort of thing?

Absolutely not. That's one of the oldest, most repeated, and most untrue rumors about NFA stuff.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Like who?

Yeah, thats going to be a hard thing to prove. Personal changes alone could account for that change too.

That said, and not that I have been paying attention to it, but I have never heard of someone starting to sign off because the trusts were out there.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    There is no rule that says this. The only law on the books about it is that your documentation "must be made available upon the request of any ATF officer." It does not specify how or when, but the ATF does recommend that you take a copy of your stamp with you whenever you're transporting it. Don't take the original.

Absolutely not. That's one of the oldest, most repeated, and most untrue rumors about NFA stuff.

Thanks for the info Hawkeye!
    Much appreciated!
    :beer:

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Yeah, thats going to be a hard thing to prove. Personal changes alone could account for that change too.

That said, and not that I have been paying attention to it, but I have never heard of someone starting to sign off because the trusts were out there.

I've read multiple anecdotes of folks who explained the trust process to their CLEO (remember, in a lot of jurisdictions, they don't get very many F1/F4's to sign so they aren't familiar with the ins and outs of it) and got them to sign.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I've read multiple anecdotes of folks who explained the trust process to their CLEO (remember, in a lot of jurisdictions, they don't get very many F1/F4's to sign so they aren't familiar with the ins and outs of it) and got them to sign.

Try that in Howard or Montgomery County and see how far you get with that.....

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Has anyone seen the threads on Silencertalk, NFAtalk and Snipers hide about 41P? There seems to be some underhanded changes....

quote from Snipers Hide from a gun trust attorney:
    "one of the sneaky senate critters snuck in and removed the house language defunding 41p!"

Does anyone know if this has got legs?

jmike1487

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Has anyone seen the threads on Silencertalk, NFAtalk and Snipers hide about 41P? There seems to be some underhanded changes....

quote from Snipers Hide from a gun trust attorney:
    "one of the sneaky senate critters snuck in and removed the house language defunding 41p!"

Does anyone know if this has got legs?

So if it's defunded does that mean it's not gonna pass???

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    So if it's defunded does that mean it's not gonna pass???

My read on it is just the opposite. Back in Sept, I believe, there was language in the bill that defunded 41P, essentially killing it. According to the other sites, that language was removed in the latest rendition of the bill. and the ATF can go ahead with it.

This is why I asked here. We need the smart guy (like Fabs, Esq, Patrick) to look at this again...

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    My read on it is just the opposite. Back in Sept, I believe, there was language in the bill that defunded 41P, essentially killing it. According to the other sites, that language was removed in the latest rendition of the bill. and the ATF can go ahead with it.

This is why I asked here. We need the smart guy (like Fabs, Esq, Patrick) to look at this again...

I thought I read that was incorrect (ie, the language was still in there).

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I was just thinking....

It will be interesting to see how long the wait time is on all the Form 1s being submitted before the 1st of the year. There has to be a huge spike in recent weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom