• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I think it would be funny to get a little perfume sprayer and fill it with hoppes. Walk around the mail leaving little puffs every where, maybe even small puddles that would get tracked around the whole mall.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I think it would be funny to get a little perfume sprayer and fill it with hoppes. Walk around the mail leaving little puffs every where, maybe even small puddles that would get tracked around the whole mall.
    You'd probably have more luck with handfuls of spent cases from the brass bucket. Like fairy dust. Everywhere.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    You'd probably have more luck with handfuls of spent cases from the brass bucket. Like fairy dust. Everywhere.
    A lot of the time dogs who are trained to look for guns, they use gun cleaning chemicals as the targets. like hoppes

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I'm thinking of the federal LEO population locally. The dog will be very busy.
    IDK if it is still active, but the mall HVAC system used to be pneumatic. If one opened a bottle of Hoppes in the right location, the whole mall would be detectable within an hour. We actually used vanilla to find a major leak in one of the air lines once.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    A lot of the time dogs who are trained to look for guns, they use gun cleaning chemicals as the targets. like hoppes
    Sometimes.

I clean my carry guns with less aromatic shit anyway. Mainly so humans don't smell the chems.

One of my former coworkers handles bite dogs but has regular contact with sniffers. They can be trained to indicate on just about anything. I'll have to ask him if he has ever heard of them hitting on EDTA based soap solutions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Do such trained dogs exist ? Yes

Will such dogs actually be used by mall security ? Either ever , or on any semi regular basis ? I dunno , but my starting position is probably not , and I'd need to be convinced otherwise .

Meanwhile , what's the goal of " creative scent management " ? Is it to mask your Roscoe from being detected by the K-9s ? Or to provide so many false positives that the idea is scrapped ?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I predict this dog will indicate that many are carrying Mexican-style. By nuzzling the suspected offender's crotch.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    How do you know the K9 is trained in that? Or are you guessing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reliable source that I will not put out on a public forum.

Any dog trained in explosives can do an article search for a firearm. This dog will likely indicate in a way not so obvious to the general public.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Reliable source that I will not put out on a public forum.

Any dog trained in explosives can do an article search for a firearm. This dog will likely indicate in a way not so obvious to the general public.

Ok. Still not buying it but that’s JMO.
    I also don’t go inside Arundel Mills except for Bass Pro about once a year for fishing stuff.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If he is trained to smell the Devil's Cabbage, he's going to go insane....

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Ok. Still not buying it but that’s JMO.
    I also don’t go inside Arundel Mills except for Bass Pro about once a year for fishing stuff.

It's not the metal of the gun that they're detecting. Dogs can be trained to signal on presence of nitrocelluose, and other smokeless powder ingredients. Both the firearm and cartridges will have detectable levels of that propellant residue on them.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    I talked to one of these fellas a couple weeks ago.
    He was telling me the dog is trained to alert on cleaning chemicals used on firearms as well as gunpowder in ammunition.
    He stated that once the dog alerts he calls county police.
    He says the mall owner Simon Company has said only on duty law enforcement, or "three letter agencies" are allowed to have guns in the mall.
    When I explained Bass Pro allows carry he stated " oh I don't patrol in here"(he was there as a customer when I spoke to him).
    I asked him about the legal ramifications of what he was doing, and infringing on peoples rights he was confused.
    He then went on to tell me that last year at a mall in GA he had someone pull a "purple drako" on him.
    I asked him if that was a sex toy and walked away figuring I the 4 minutes I wasted with him had not made either of us smarter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom