• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Just thought I'd share this article for those who might be interested

GOOD Magazine Feature | Get to Know the Americans You'd Least Expect to Fancy the Firearm

While its nice to hear anecdotal stories about liberals embracing RKBA to some degree the article is equally full of crap like the statement below.

Hoeber says she finds the partisanship over gun rights perplexing. “I find it very odd that I have to make a political choice between people whose politics support all of the other civil liberties, or people who support gun ownership as a civil liberty, but none of the others. I mean it’s a very odd political divide that doesn’t make a lot of sense, isn’t it?”

The left perpetually holds forth the notion that the notion of civil rights begins/ends with the "right" to bugger someone in the arse or to kill an unborn child.........but things like economic/personal freedom/private property and RKBA are not liberties that are meaningful.

The fact of the matter is that the Dem party has become the party of tyranny and the GOP the party of slightly less tyranny

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Interesting read. I would have liked to read about more complex issues within the gun community.

Most Liberals with guns agree that everyone should be able to own a gun...and that is where the similarities end.

I wish they would have asked about background checks, magazine capacity, concealed carry, etc...

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    The fact of the matter is that the Dem party has become the party of tyranny and the GOP the party of slightly less tyranny

Both parties are tyrranical; they just fight over in which order they're going to take away our rights.

There are little sideshows here and there where they let us "little people" have things like abortions and firearms, but for the most part they're not all that different.

Dec 31, 2012
    Both parties are tyrranical; they just fight over in which order they're going to take away our rights.

There are little sideshows here and there where they let us "little people" have things like abortions and firearms, but for the most part they're not all that different.

:thumbsup:

Smitch521

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 4, 2013
    Salisbury
    I'm a liberal and a gun enthusiast. Well maybe I'm not a liberal in the commonly held sense of the word but I am certainly not a conservative.

That's not to say I am at all happy with the democratic party. However I certainly do not see the republican party in the favorable light that so many gun owners do. Our political parties merely ensure we experience a lose-lose situation.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA

Spoken like a true pleb :D

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Interesting article. I like that it highlights that not all liberals oppose gun ownership, but it really just whitewashes the topic. It's a feelgood piece without any real depth or supporting facts, but I think the author's heart is in the right place.

I've been telling people since at least the last presidential election that "mainstream" Republicans and Democrats are just different sides of the same "big government" coin. They both want to limit the people, they just choose to focus on different areas to do it.

In the end game, both of their goals are ultimately the same: to maximize government power.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Interesting read. I would have liked to read about more complex issues within the gun community.

Most Liberals with guns agree that everyone should be able to own a gun...and that is where the similarities end.

I wish they would have asked about background checks, magazine capacity, concealed carry, etc...

Yes, but...that's common ground to start with. I often tell liberals who are upset that no gun control was passed, how can we trust politicians who have publicly stated they would like to ban all guns?

Most agree that the pro-2a people have no reason to trust people who have said confiscation is their goal.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Yes, but...that's common ground to start with.

People on both sides of this issue tend to underestimate the importance of common ground. Not as a platform for compromise, but as an avenue to understanding the issue and finding solutions to the things that everyone agrees is a problem (i.e. homicide, violent crime, etc.).

So even though I called this article a "feelgood piece", it's an important "feelgood piece". Just thought I'd clarify.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

Then the plan is working ;). One less pesky voter to answer to. Or you could play one against the other.. to get what you want..

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    Ah yes, the ever illusive liberal gun owner that the Democratic party tries to pretend doesn’t exists. While I more lean liberal and own guns I am very weary of people that claim to be liberal gun owners. Saying everyone should be allowed to have a gun is very different from being against magazine bans, “Assault weapon” bans, firearm registration, etc. Even Obama says that he is for gun ownership, that doesn’t mean he is on our side.

Granted, I like to give these people the benefit of the doubt as they are more likely to be our allies than our enemies if we can make friends with them. And like I said, I more lean their way anyway so it is nice talking to them even if we don’t agree on gun rights 100%.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    We can use the common ground to get 2 things off the table and 1 thing on

Off:
    De Jure Bans
    De Facto Bans

On:
    Fact based discussion

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Its a very good start.

The story was not about guns but they way they are viewed and why.. this is a first.

And not once did we get the but why do you need crap.

Its now about why do they fear inanimate objects while refusing to deal with the realities of violence..

Its a start.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    Ah yes, the ever illusive liberal gun owner that the Democratic party tries to pretend doesn’t exists. While I more lean liberal and own guns I am very weary of people that claim to be liberal gun owners. Saying everyone should be allowed to have a gun is very different from being against magazine bans, “Assault weapon” bans, firearm registration, etc. Even Obama says that he is for gun ownership, that doesn’t mean he is on our side.

Granted, I like to give these people the benefit of the doubt as they are more likely to be our allies than our enemies if we can make friends with them. And like I said, I more lean their way anyway so it is nice talking to them even if we don’t agree on gun rights 100%.

There's quite a few of us liberals who are against magazine bans, registration, and so on. Hell, every gun I own (except the SKS, which is in it's original Yugo form), is a scary black rifle with standard-cap magazines. I'd even get a drum if they didn't suck so much.

The only "reasonable" gun legislation in my mind is there being a national database of people not allowed to have guns (aka felons) which dealers can query to see if a customer is on that list and transmitting no information to the government on what's being sold and keeping no record of the query. Seeing as that's not likely to happen and be that safe from being stored though, I'll error on the side of none of that jazz.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Its a very good start.

The story was not about guns but they way they are viewed and why.. this is a first.

And not once did we get the but why do you need crap.

Its now about why do they fear inanimate objects while refusing to deal with the realities of violence..

Its a start.

Classic comment, which I find revealing:

"The idea of ceding the monopoly on deadly force to the police or to the state or to the other authoritarian power structure, that’s completely ****ing ridiculous to me.” Turning over that kind of power, to Hoeber, is a totally right-wing idea."

Many on the Left have a comic-book idea of what "right-wing" is and relate authoritarianism to Republicanism and the "right-wing". Alas, they conveniently overlook the CURRENT tyranny by the CURRENT LEFT- wing administration.

Dogmatic does not begin to describe it.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Another jewel|

"...Russell dodged bullets, and finally had a gun held to her forehead by a 17-year old with a tragic family history who only wanted their watches and wallets. I pictured the final emptiness she described, the life leaving her friend’s eyes.

Well, and that's why the poor 17 y.o. Shot them, because he just wanted their watches....and yes, the tragic family history...

Here we go, justifying criminal behavior because the poor teenage troglodyte had some childhood trauma...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom