Are people actually getting the price they are asking for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstevens56

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2012
    Somewhere in Merryland
    So after checking for local listings and seeing the price of a house that is selling on the same street as someone I sold ammo to, I realize that the person can afford to pay $1 per round of .223.

His neighbor's house is listed for 6.5 mil.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    So after checking for local listings and seeing the price of a house that is selling on the same street as someone I sold ammo to, I realize that the person can afford to pay $1 per round of .223.

His neighbor's house is listed for 6.5 mil.

Hmm, is he looking for a rifle to go with that ammo then?? :innocent0

(If they got more $$ than sense, I can convince myself to let one go - for the right price.)

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I have been selling alot of things. Just not here. I sold 100rds of PMC Bronze 223 for $185 shipped. There is no way I would even think of doing that here. Don't shit where you eat. :D Just my 2 cents.

TANK222

Dec 19, 2012
    Frederick
    I don't see it as "gouging" on Gunbroker; so long as it was an "auction" and not a stupid-high "buy it now" or reserve. Here, I agree, if you want top dollar, sell it on Gunbroker.

Regarding the question of are people selling ARs for $3k? I know a guy who knows an FFL (I know, right?) who claims that they're marking everything up, can't keep anything in stock and is selling ARs for $3k.

I talked with a local gun the other night that said they are getting a couple ar's in next week. Price range is going to be 3000-3500.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    People are paying those prices.

On GunBroker I don't feel bad if a bunch of panicked yahoos drive the asking price into butthurt territory. That's their own doing.

But here in our classifieds, I don't want to slight anyone I consider a brother in arms. I just agreed to a fair trade based on the price I paid for an item, when I would have benefitted more by selling it on GB and waiting. But I'd rather see it go to a fellow member who can appreciate it. If we don't hang together, then we will surely hang separately.

You've just described the difference between a macro-economy and a micro-economy. As for the overall economy (market) there is no price-gouging, only what the seller is willing to pay for the available product AT THAT TIME.

We've all sold things to friends for less than we would/could have sold to strangers for a BIG profit but that doesn't make the market price of the sale to a stranger 'price gouging'.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You've just described the difference between a macro-economy and a micro-economy. As for the overall economy (market) there is no price-gouging, only what the seller is willing to pay for the available product AT THAT TIME.

We've all sold things to friends for less than we would/could have sold to strangers for a BIG profit but that doesn't make the market price of the sale to a stranger 'price gouging'.

Gouging occurs when you know the person you are selling to can get to item from no other source, and you mark it way up. They are more or less "forced" to pay your price. This is free market.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Never met anybody that didn't believe the old adage.....

"My Shit is Gold but your Shit is Shit"

When it comes to bargaining and haggling over the price of any collectible item, we all want to buy low and sell high.

Regardless of the market, either MDS Classifieds or IPs; GB; Guns America or any other outlet, one fact is very, very true........

[Pun]Nobody is holding a gun to anybody's head and forcing them to make a deal[/pun]

Don't like a deal then just hitch up yer big boy britches and walk away.

Kenny Rogers was right when he sang "The Gambler".

Smacduff99

Feb 17, 2012
    West Virginia
    I am trying to avoid the crazy speculators market myself, at this point I prefer to trade.

I would be embarrassed to ask the prices that I'm seeing right now. I had 2 black rifles that I put up for trade, no dollar amount. I know some people don't like that, but I just couldn't even come up a price that was fair and still be able to bring new guns into my collection.

Gunbroker...maybe, but not here.

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    The worry I have is that I have been holding on, not buying any more EBRs because folks here have been predicting a normalization of prices soon, yet all I see is prices continue to rise. I am a relative noob to the gun market and economics, so have no real basis personally to determine what may or may not happen. For now, I am just holding my cash and hoping to buy for less than $2k for a decent AR-style rifle...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ill sell for what I want where legally allowed. If people dont like it they can kiss my ass. Its MY PROPERTY and people have no clue how bad I may need certain funds to support my family.

I dont owe ANYONE, ANYTHING here except maybe my Doctor, Norton, DD214, or 2SAM22. If they needed something I would do it on my own time and at my own cost. I have paid my dues here helping here.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The worry I have is that I have been holding on, not buying any more EBRs because folks here have been predicting a normalization of prices soon, yet all I see is prices continue to rise. I am a relative noob to the gun market and economics, so have no real basis personally to determine what may or may not happen. For now, I am just holding my cash and hoping to buy for less than $2k for a decent AR-style rifle...

If you hold onto your cash another few months you could very well be looking at spending $1,200. I know all about supply and demand, but these rifles aren't consumable and are made from virtually infinite supply materials, steel, plastic, etc. (that's without even getting itot the fact that nearly everyone who thought they needed one SHOULD have it by now).

Hang tight, there's much more of a probability of prices going (way) down then holding or rising anymore.

Justin B.C.

Walken is a scary clown!!
    Dec 25, 2012
    If you hold onto your cash another few months you could very well be looking at spending $1,200. I know all about supply and demand, but these rifles aren't consumable and are mad from virtually infinite supply materials.

Hang tight, there's much more of a probability of prices going (way) down then holding or rising anymore.

Thanks, I have been told that several times and am relieved to hear that this seems to be the consensus from much more experienced individuals than myself. :thumbsup:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I also agree everyone should kiss Chads ass, if you don't like/want to pay what they are asking,....DON'T BUY!

it's only worth what a ready, willing and financially able buyer is willing to spend, not a Penny less.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes

Normalization of prices? Maybe if

Supply ever becomes greater than demand again and the market is driven by logic and not emotion based on fear of the unknown.

A Supply of "Refugee Rifles" from the Banned States like NY starts flowing to the Free States. The problem lies in if that will be allowed by the Progressive Overlords in those Banned and soon to be Banned States or will they those unlucky banned bastards to have grandfathering or the Overlords rush to confiscation.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    If you search and are patient you can get stuff for good prices still..I've gotten a lot of stuff this past month and sold some parts I didn't need and made a killing on, it bought me a new 1911, 2more ars, mags and other stuff.

Ill sell for what I want where legally allowed. If people dont like it they can kiss my ass. Its MY PROPERTY and people have no clue how bad I may need certain funds to support my family.

That means your accepting my $100 offer for an ak ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom