Are people actually getting the price they are asking for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Outrageous prices may be new here, but they have been the norm on GB for years. As long as the cost is nill or minimal, there will be outrageous asking prices ... fishing for that one that PT Barnum told us was out there

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    People are paying those prices.

On GunBroker I don't feel bad if a bunch of panicked yahoos drive the asking price into butthurt territory. That's their own doing.

But here in our classifieds, I don't want to slight anyone I consider a brother in arms. I just agreed to a fair trade based on the price I paid for an item, when I would have benefitted more by selling it on GB and waiting. But I'd rather see it go to a fellow member who can appreciate it. If we don't hang together, then we will surely hang separately.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    I have considered selling one of my rifles. Yes it is used but it is one i dont need to sell, just one i would sell for the right price. So if i listed it, I would list it for a price high enough to make up my mind on selling it, knowing that if i do sell it I might or might not be able to buy a replacement one at a more reasonable price.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have no issue with people getting top dollar for an item, I truly don't - when it's someplace else (gunbroker is a prime example).

I've sold a few things here that I know for a fact I could've gotten more for on other venues, but I chose to make a sale that'd benefit a fellow shooter - even if it meant I got less than what I was hoping for. I don't regret doing it by any means.

To me, this place has become a sort of extended family - I've met a fair amount of people here, shot with them, have had good times with them. I feel almost obligated to do what I can for them.

So it stings to see this type of behavior in our own community, maybe I just don't get it.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've noticed how everybody is suddenly pushing magazines and the magazines are pushing ammo and magazines. I think it's funny how Sportsmans Guide all of sudden has sent me 4 catalogs in the past 2 weeks all related to ammo and magazines. Suddenly guys are trying to pawn off guns that might be banned like it's the only one left in the nation. I find it all hilarious.

Hol3shot

Sweet...
    Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena MD
    There's one born every minute...

Some of the ads don't strike me as being too serious, the other ones are striking me as predatory - especially trying to sell another MDS'er a $900 rifle for in excess of $1700. Do that shit on Gunbroker, not here. Same applies to ammo.

Seems we went from helping other shooters out to preying on them overnight.

Brad - I respect you, so I'll keep this real. You aren't buying, neither am I. If you want a "Brother deal", talk to your friends. There is an idiot born everyday, we are smarter than that, and aren't paying the current "market" prices, nor do we need to. But why bust on those guys that are getting paid by idiots willing to pay the current prices? These guys built their stocks up, and are making bank now. They deserve it, whether I like it or not.
    I wish I could buy a ton of stuff right now, I can't for more than one reason or another. That doesn't mean the guys that are sitting on a pile of shit that they can make money on, shouldn't be doing it if there are people out there willing to pay for it? Is there really a decent reason that you can come up with other than they shouldn't be doing it on here? Why not here, if someone is willing to pay the price, they should be able to sell their wares. If you are FRIENDS enough with the seller, and they are willing to drop their price, then they will.
    Otherwise, you are just like me, another person on here that is acquaintances with a lot of people, and you will either pay the price or you won't. Just because you are a "member" here, doesn't give you any special rights or consideration, nor does it do me any good.
    You've got to look at the BIG picture here. Not just think this is a little ol'e community of sorts. Because it isn't. These guys aren't going to come to your house to help you out if you are in a bind, UNLESS they are friends, so what makes selling anything on here any different?

It isn't gouging if there is someone willing to pay that much, it's called "market value". It's easy enough to ignore, and after everyone stops pannicking, there is usually a brief window where backorders arrive en mass while demand drops, and you get clearance and overstock sales, they will happen on the other side of this. If you really need a rifle or backordered ammo to defend your family or for a serious need, your planning sucks.

Exactly. Nobody is forced to pay anything, you have to be willing. These guys got it twisted, like they are OWED something because they are "members" here.
    Make friends, and it is different, and even then that "friend" can decide whether to sell it to your for cheaper, or sell it for "market value". And I dare you to question me or any of my friends that need to make a buck and deserve to for their preparation, and your LACK OF.

Okay, what do you want to buy?

I have no issue with people getting top dollar for an item, I truly don't - when it's someplace else (gunbroker is a prime example).

I've sold a few things here that I know for a fact I could've gotten more for on other venues, but I chose to make a sale that'd benefit a fellow shooter - even if it meant I got less than what I was hoping for. I don't regret doing it by any means.

To me, this place has become a sort of extended family - I've met a fair amount of people here, shot with them, have had good times with them. I feel almost obligated to do what I can for them.

So it stings to see this type of behavior in our own community, maybe I just don't get it.

It may be a sort of "extended family" to you, but it isn't to a lot of people. Nor would I EXPECT them to sell me something CHEAPER than they can make on the OPEN MARKET. That would be asinine for me to expect them to sell me something they could make more money on elsewhere. I have turned down offers for .223 and magazines. Why? Because I told them to get the money while they can, and make as much off this scare as they can. Because this isn't a NEED, this is a WANT.

Get over it. People are making money in this climate because they were PREPARED. YOU weren't. Neither was I. But I am not bitching, because I know they deserve to make what they can off the idiots that are willing to pay the prices.

If you don't like it, go somewhere else. But stop complaining because you weren't prepared and want some SPECIAL DEAL, since you post on here.
    Now if it was your FRIEND screwing you, than throw down with him and see who comes up the winner. But stop acting like everyone here owes you something because you are a "forum member".

Brad - Don't think that was directed at you in ANY WAY. That was meant to use your reply to respond to everyone with the same view or idea. I get where you are coming from and agree very much so. But I also realize that I am not the only person on here that wants a "friend" deal, or thinks that I DESERVE a better price since I am a member here.
    The truth is, they are doing us a favor by posting their wares here and giving us a chance to buy it at the same market value, or less than in a lot of circumstances, and we should be grateful for that, otherwise we wouldn't even know they had it up for sale.
    At least that is my take on it.

radial

Nov 23, 2011
    Boyds
    {Bunch of BS attempting to justify predatory pricing.}

Well, we all have our opinions. Mine is that you and any other people exploiting this situation to gouge your brothers in arms are pond scum. Dress it up any way that makes you feel better about yourself, but you aren't fooling anyone in the community. You should be ashamed of yourself.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    Well, we all have our opinions. Mine is that you and any other people exploiting this situation to gouge your brothers in arms are pond scum. Dress it up any way that makes you feel better about yourself, but you aren't fooling anyone in the community. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Should I then demand to be able to buy a Full Auto at 1986 prices because I was unable or didnt buy one at that time? I mean we are "friends" and all.

It boils down to the fact that there is alot of uncertaintity right now on what will or will not happen in MD and in the country on certain rifles, handguns, magazines and ammo. Tomorrow if Omalley gets his way and MD bans the sale and transfer of all AR15's not already owned prior to today, are you going to sell at old prices? or are you going to sell at market rate because you happen to have something that is now more valuable than what it was when you first bought it.

It sucks that right now that we have to either pay a premium or wait and hope we are able to purchase before any potential ban date. Because in the end that is what each seller and buyer has to decide, will the supply system recover prior to another law like the one in NY is passed.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    People are free to ask whatever they want. Other people are free to pay it. Personally, I couldn't go to bed with a clear conscience for shafting another board member in the middle of the worst 2A crisis this state has seen in a while. We all have to live with our own choices.

If I was an IP and that was my livelihood, I'd be selling ARs for whatever people are willing to pay for them however.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    Hol3shot gets it I could and do sell some things on gunbroker but I look at it this way I will offer it here at a but less thanwhat I know I could get on GB
    I have 5.56 at $700/1000 I could get more on GB but I have it here if anyone needs it. If you don't like my prices move on, I have over 70 positives from members that have left feedback and there are more that didn't leave feedback but have come for a second or third time.

Once again I am not forcing you to pay my prices but supply and demand I have it you want it you can decide to pay my price or not.

Everyone yells free market until you have to buy things at a higher price its being a hypocrite and the way some of you whine is like a spoiled child, lame.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Hol3shot - I've had your post running in the back of my mind for most of the day, and it has made me think differently of a few things.

While I guess the shock of the current market still hasn't quite set in for me, you are absolutely correct in your points made. People are paying the prices, so if you got it and are willing to sell it, go for it.

While I may not do the same, for my own reasons, I can't fault someone else for doing it. Although I gotta admit, if I start clearing out the closet, I could probably bump up my retirement fund a substantial amount - in the current market, between mags, ammo and rifles, I could probably do quite well if I could convince myself to let them all go.

But honestly, I'm happier with all my shit. :D

My moment of pity for all the guys scrambling to get their's now is over, thanks. :thumbsup:

powderhunter

May 29, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I understand that it is all pure capitalism at work, but I find some of the prices being asked just plain absurd, nevertheless at least they are asking a specific amount.

What makes me mad is those who try to run the classify like the auction site, If you want to find out what the market will bear on the stuff your trying to sell, please go to an auction site. Don’t play the pawn shop game (how much can I get, how much do you need, how much is it, how much are you willing to pay) here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom