Are people actually getting the price they are asking for?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 2, 2010
    Waldorf, MD
    So when I want a laugh lately I go to the Classifieds and look at the prices people are asking for items. I know it is free market at its best but WTF? I am not in the market for any items listed but I usually go on every day to see what everyone is trying to sell. I find it amusing to see the prices going up to ridiculous prices. Are the prices actually getting paid? Are their that many desperate people paying a dollar a round for 9mm? And 3000 for an AR? Just asking to see if people are, I might have to join in the selling market.:innocent0

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There's one born every minute...

Some of the ads don't strike me as being too serious, the other ones are striking me as predatory - especially trying to sell another MDS'er a $900 rifle for in excess of $1700. Do that shit on Gunbroker, not here. Same applies to ammo.

Seems we went from helping other shooters out to preying on them overnight.

Feb 22, 2010
    Bushwood
    On gun broker the auctions are ending with bids and inflated prices so as long as the buyer is completing the transaction with the seller I would guess so.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here

Some of the ads don't strike me as being too serious, the other ones are striking me as predatory - especially trying to sell another MDS'er a $900 rifle for in excess of $1700. Do that shit on Gunbroker, not here. Same applies to ammo.

This is a great post.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore

Perfect. There's nothing else to say.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Not exactly a way to ingratiate yourself. Trying to screw your brothers here invites a permanent cold shoulder in return.

wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    It is crazy. People are asking $500 more than Gun Broker. It is going to get a lot harder to sell FTF soon. People better wake up and stop price gouging. You can't even buy the ammo to shoot the guns. Some really expensive clubs for sale.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    It is crazy. People are asking $500 more than Gun Broker. It is going to get a lot harder to sell FTF soon. People better wake up and stop price gouging. You can't even buy the ammo to shoot the guns. Some really expensive clubs for sale.

Wallets will start to go empty soon enough and cooler heads will prevail. Just give it time.

River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    Wallets will start to go empty soon enough and cooler heads will prevail. Just give it time.

I want to purchase a lower, but not willing to pay the money. I will just give it time. Heck I can buy a complete AR for just what a couple parts are going for and AR's can be found.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It isn't gouging if there is someone willing to pay that much, it's called "market value". It's easy enough to ignore, and after everyone stops pannicking, there is usually a brief window where backorders arrive en mass while demand drops, and you get clearance and overstock sales, they will happen on the other side of this. If you really need a rifle or backordered ammo to defend your family or for a serious need, your planning sucks.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been thinking of selling my S&W Model 27, and the first place I was going to try was here. If I do, I'll ask a fair price for what the real value is - NOT this overinflated crap that is happening all over the place. I agree - we don't need to be gouging our fellow shooting brothers and sisters here in MD.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    If you really need a rifle or backordered ammo to defend your family or for a serious need, your planning sucks. I agree with this but not the Free market value Line I couldn't do it to someone 700 bucks for 5.56 ammo in the Ads come on but like you said planning is everything

CaptChaos

MDS Supporter
    Mar 1, 2008
    Calvert County, MD
    I don't see it as "gouging" on Gunbroker; so long as it was an "auction" and not a stupid-high "buy it now" or reserve. Here, I agree, if you want top dollar, sell it on Gunbroker.

Regarding the question of are people selling ARs for $3k? I know a guy who knows an FFL (I know, right?) who claims that they're marking everything up, can't keep anything in stock and is selling ARs for $3k.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Someone asked just about the same question that the OP asked, here.

Most people are getting what they're asking, but, some aren't.

Case in point -
    On this other forum, I stated that I have a NIB Colt AR6721 for the ONE DAY price of only $61,999.95.

Ya know. . . . I didn't get one single offer.

:shrug:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Actually, I think that the prices of $1500 to $2500 are in line with what the dealers are asking at gun shows. So why not?

Really, the only fools are those new to shooting, who all of the sudden NEED an AR and are coming here for a cheap one.

I'm sure that the folks who have been on MDS for a while or have been into guns and gun clubs over the years like myself are just sitting back and enjoying the mayhem.

It's like a car wreck on 695. Ya just gotta slow down and look. Makes no sense whatsoever, but we all do it.

BTW: Anyone interested in a Colt 6920 for the amazing low price of $6199? :innocent0

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    I sold 1 thing so far, a rifle I hadn't shot in 3 years, less than 100 rounds through it. Made a profit of $1100. If they didn't like the price they didn't have to buy it. I just needed space in the safe for that monster Mosin from yellowsled. If it didn't sell, I would have taken it back.

Edit, I did not sell it here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom