• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I remember one time I ordered a CTR stock from Magpul and it took about a month for them to ship it. I called them at one point and asked them why there was such a delay and they said they were "having trouble with the availability of machine parts". I told a friend of mine this and his reply was, "what, they can't find a new light bulb for their Creepy Crawler oven?"

:D

Hahahaha yea they are made in easy bake ovens now. More reliable. If your AR isn't covered in airsoft plastic
    Magpul products YOU ARE NOT COOL! Different colors for the REALLY awesome people.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Every AR is just as good as every other AR regardless of who made the components that went into it.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    cop chick i know says you have to have a permit just to own one. she wont let her husband have one because of this

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    My bro in-law is in the army and HATES the m4 platform. He says "any gun with a forward assist has a defective design" (or something like that). To be fair he's had to use it in combat. He's also very opinionated about everything though.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I prefer my angel. :D
    75457.jpg

Oh, right a myth. The AR's 5.56 round is designed to wound, not kill; since wounding then requires the enemy to devote resources to the care of the wounded soldier. Riiiiiiight.

You and i both :)

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    My bro in-law is in the army and HATES the m4 platform. He says "any gun with a forward assist has a defective design" (or something like that). To be fair he's had to use it in combat. He's also very opinionated about everything though.

Haha, my buddy who served said he always refused to use the forward assist. [sarcasm]Oh, the round won't chamber. Lets just jam it in![/sarcasm] :lol2:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The Forward Assist is there because the AR does not have a FIXED Bolt Handle (On Regular Units at least). On an AK if you have a failure to go into battery you can hit or kick the bolt handle forward. Without a F.A. on the AR there is no way to make the gun go into battery without reracking the Charging Handle.

HardHatMan

FBHO
    Jul 14, 2009
    Virginia
    The Forward Assist is there because the AR does not have a FIXED Bolt Handle (On Regular Units at least). On an AK if you have a failure to go into battery you can hit or kick the bolt handle forward. Without a F.A. on the AR there is no way to make the gun go into battery without reracking the Charging Handle.

I would think that ejecting the problem round would be the safest and possibly the quicker way to fix a FTF?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I would think that ejecting the problem round would be the safest and possibly the quicker way to fix a FTF?

It depends on the malfunction, for some minor malfunctions you are correct. Without the F.A> you also cant do a chamber check when the gun if fouled because a Slow Ride wil not let the Bolt Group go into battery by pushing on the side of the carrier.

Sometimes a Case Head Seperation will make it a necessity to have a F.A., even using a Broken Shell Extractor needs a forward assist to not cause damage.

Another issue with not having a F.A. is the MOST IMPORTANT reason to have one. If you pop a primer out of a casing while firing, it often gets jammed between the Gas Key and the Charging Handle Stem. When this hapens the Bolt will be slightly out of battery and the bolt will be locked in place SOLID, it wont move. If you try and seperate the upper and lower it wont seperate because the carrier is sticking out the upper just enough to engage the buffer tube and prevent removal. The F.A. allows you to force the bolt home and allow removal of the uper to clear out that tiny primer.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Another issue with not having a F.A. is the MOST IMPORTANT reason to have one. If you pop a primer out of a casing while firing, it often gets jammed between the Gas Key and the Charging Handle Stem. When this hapens the Bolt will be slightly out of battery and the bolt will be locked in place SOLID, it wont move. If you try and seperate the upper and lower it wont seperate because the carrier is sticking out the upper just enough to engage the buffer tube and prevent removal. The F.A. allows you to force the bolt home and allow removal of the uper to clear out that tiny primer.

I may have some first-hand experience with that... :innocent0

If/when that does happen, you thank the lord you DO have a F.A., I'll never have an AR that doesn't have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom