• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    He doesn't want a Vortex Viper because he doesn't like the look of those scopes. He only likes the look of the ACOG type scopes.

@ the OP... Seriously, if you only want a ACOG like scope or "tactical scope" then your options are going to be limited. You either drop a grand or so on a Trij (the real thing) or you buy a cheap Chinese knock off that won't last a year. If you open your options up to other kinds of sights then you will have way more choices in the mid range category such as the Vortex above of you want magnified optics. If you don't want to change anything on your rifle such as the gas block or cutting down the A2 sight then your best bet is a Red Dot either with or without a magnifier behind it. You could mount the red dot on a mount that gives a lower 1/3rd co-witness and not have to worry about your front sight effecting the sight picture.

There are tons of options obviously. You just have to either A. Put the work in or B. Put the money down.

Sorry if I came off like an ass hole but buying an optic just because you like the appearance of it is not a very smart thing to do. Buy one based on durability or which reticle gives you the best sight picture.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I like the look of ACOG like sights. But thats not only the problem. I have standard scopes. I have one on my glenfield model 60 and I had one on my 10/22. For whatever reason I cant use them. I can't see though them properly. After I bought my NCStar I took my 10/22 to the range. I wanted to compare the standard scope with the tactical scope side by side. My groupings where WAY better with the tactical scope. I don't know why. I wish I did. Believe me.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    LOL, I know but no one thinks I should do it. Everyone says to just cut it off.

I prefer a chopped gas block as those are pinned. the low profile ones either clamp on or are secured by two allen screws. Not as reliable as the pined sight base.

I usually do this, especially for uppers that are being used with RR machinegun lowers

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My AR/ M16 optical set up

16" barrel, flat top, 15.5" freefloat rail, Magpul front sight (longer sight radius), matech 600M rear BUIS, Eotech 552, Aimpoint magnifier on a LaRue FTS mount. Everything absolute co- witnessed.

takes the AR to new capabilities, Point blank to 600 meters- CQB to Accuracy shots in one platform.

If that fails.. break out the M1A

Attachments

• trip.jpg
      trip.jpg
      81.6 KB · Views: 116

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Have you experienced a failure of clamp or screw-on bases?

He probably hasn't. I haven't either but I've seen and heard of others who have. Knowing this, I won't ever use anything else but a pinned gas block. I wouldn't want to put my rifle in the position of a possible failure.

There's a reason why taper pinned gas blocks remain the mil spec way of attaching one. I'd rather just spend a little more money and have it done the right way.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Yes, the screws loosened up in burst fire, choking the weapon. I have since dimpled the barrel and rocksett it in place

That's making double sure it ain't going to budge.

Freaking barrel's more likely to pop before the rocksett hits it's max temp. range.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Frostie I have the standart A2 fixed front sight.
    Nikon 223 scope and mount.
    From the top of the rail to center line of the scope is 1+1/2".
    Front sight is not visible looking thru the scope.
    HTH:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom