• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    So I just purchased a DPMS AR-15. It came with an an A2(i think) Front sight. No rear sight. But I want to mount a 3-9x42 tactical scope with a Compact Red Dot sight. The guy i bought it from suggested I get a riser mount and a flip up rear sight so I would have iron sights in an emergency. Does anyone have an product suggestions for a riser that would get the iron sight out of the way of the optics and a flip up rear sight? Or does anyone have an idea of a better setup for my AR?

carpoor

Dec 17, 2011
    I run a eotech with 3x magnifier and than have the offset 45 degree iron sights so you just tilt the gun slightly side ways to shoot iron sight. It takes a little getting use to but works great.

Coretac

Do NOT care what u think
    May 30, 2013
    I need some insight for this also for a low budget but half way good . Thanks !!!! Eotech , they cost a lot , right I mean the optic then the magnifier ? I heard they are great .

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You're doing it wrong.

For a gun with a fixed gas block FSB A2-style, you want:
    1. A rear flip-style BUIS of some sort. Magpul makes a good cheap one.
    2. A quick detach mount or QD rings for your 3-9x scope so that you can get it out of the way of your iron sights in an emergency. This mount/rings need to be high enough so that your scope can clear the height of the folded rear BUIS. The Leupold QRW rings and Burris PEPR QD are good mounts for this.

Your front sight will not interfere with your 3-9x scope. You will not see it at all. This is hard to believe, but that's how the optical physics work.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You're doing it wrong.

2. A quick detach mount or QD rings for your 3-9x scope so that you can get it out of the way of your iron sights in an emergency. This mount/rings need to be high enough so that your scope can clear the height of the folded rear BUIS. The Leupold QRW rings and Burris PEPR QD are good mounts for this.

Your front sight will not interfere with your 3-9x scope. You will not see it at all. This is hard to believe, but that's how the optical physics work.

QFT. :thumbsup:

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    What are you looking for in a optic? Long range precision or quick target acquisition? What kind of durability and battery life are you looking for?

I run my Red Dots at a lower 1/3 co-whiteness. I used to run a flip up rear BUIS until I looked down a rifle with a fixed rear sight and a lower 1/3. Now I like running a fixed Daniel Defense rear sight. It doesn't get in the way and when I need it, I just drop my head slightly.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    You shouldn't need a "riser" with most red dot or reflex type scopes to clear a flip up rear sight. The problem with raising a scope up too high off a flat top AR is it makes damn near impossible to get a good cheek weld on the stock.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just mounted a Burris MTAC on mine. Ignoring the iron sights. I am working towards 45 degree offset iron sight setup. But the current setup doesn't have a forward rail.

carpoor

Dec 17, 2011
    sorry missed that it was a fixed gas block FSB A2 style. The set up I stated is on my m4.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    You're doing it wrong.

I already have the scope with mounts that can't be changed and I DO see the front sight. In this case what do i do.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    You shouldn't need a "riser" with most red dot or reflex type scopes to clear a flip up rear sight. The problem with raising a scope up too high off a flat top AR is it makes damn near impossible to get a good cheek weld on the stock.

The problem isn't the rear sight. As it doesn't even have one. That was apparently an optional upgrade that I didn't get. The problem is the front sight is smackdab in the middle when i look though the optics. So it needs to needs to be higher up. Or i need to remove the front iron sight. When i talked to the guy I bought it from he advised against removing the front iron sight. And advised that that i get a see thru riser and a flip up rear sight. I just don't what to buy. Or if I should just remove the front sight and put a low profile gas block on it.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    At the lowest magnification or the highest magnification?

Honestly I am not sure. I was so frustrated with it, I didn't fiddle with it at all. But the way I see it it doesn't matter. I bought the optics to use at any range and magnification. If the front sight impedes with the optics at all then I consider it inoperable.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    At the lowest magnification or the highest magnification?
    It should be very moderate ghosting at 3x. And I think that the OP is not realizing that his solution to that problem (raising the scope way high) is actually going to make his overall user experience worse, not better. He's going to have a super annoying time trying to get a repeatable cheek/chin weld to use the scope with it high up.

The other alternatives:
    1. Return the scope and get a 4-12x. The ghosting is even less at 4x.
    2. Replace the GB/FSB with a flip-up sight model, or a weaver railed model. Bad news is that this is going to be fairly expensive if you can't do it yourself.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    It should be very moderate ghosting at 3x. And I think that the OP is not realizing that his solution to that problem (raising the scope way high) is actually going to make his overall user experience worse, not better. He's going to have a super annoying time trying to get a repeatable cheek/chin weld to use the scope with it high up.

The other alternatives:
    1. Return the scope and get a 4-12x. The ghosting is even less at 4x.
    2. Replace the GB/FSB with a flip-up sight model, or a weaver railed model. Bad news is that this is going to be fairly expensive if you can't do it yourself.

Its not my solution. My solution was to remove the front sight completely. But i was told not to. :) I am very new to AR-15s as this is my first one. So I am heavily relying on the guy I bought it from. He told me that everyone uses the see thru risers for optics so they can still have iron sights. I do see what he is saying about having iron sights although i do prefer optics. The problem with ghosting is that I can't deal with it period, I as taught if you are going to do something you need to do it right. Having optics that have ghosting of the front sight is not doing it right. In the end I may need to replace the front sight and I will be right back to the forum for help :) both with replacement gad blocks and possibly how best to do offset iron sights or what flip up sights gas block to buy.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Chop the FSB, run a rifle length rail, grab a set of MBUS, buy a better scope.

Problem solved.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Chop the FSB, run a rifle length rail, grab a set of MBUS, buy a better scope.

Problem solved.

I have a feeling that sounds entirely easier then it actually is. I am going to buy another scope in the future as I have another rifle that needs optics. But I actually through the one I bought was nice until you just told me it wasn't :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cddrive

Latest threads

Top Bottom