• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Sorta. The NiB BCG is noticeably smoother in operation even without lubrication on it. One could possibly run it without lube, but I wouldn't mess with it. I always run my BCG with lube ;).

So I'm a big fat liar.

I have a Kies NiB BCG in my most recent 3gun build. I ultrasonic cleaned it a few weeks back and totally forgot to lube it afterwords. I shot a 3gun match this Sunday and just realized while sitting on my couch I didn't lube it AT ALL. Not a drop, and it was super dry after that. The gun itself has less than 750rds through it (18" barrel, rifle length gas, T2 heavy buffer, PMC 5.56 XTAC ammo).

It was the first time I'd ever run a BCG dry and not had an issue, even fast paced runnin' and gunnin'. I'm pretty impressed, honestly. I will definitely lube my bolt now though :D

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I used to run mine dry all the time and never had a problem. Lately I've been putting a small drop of 0 weight oil on the bolt....

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I used to run mine dry all the time and never had a problem. Lately I've been putting a small drop of 0 weight oil on the bolt....

I never really liked the idea. I'm not a real stickler for having a squeeky clean firearm, don't get me wrong, but a small bit of lube always seems like a good idea. I'll continue to lube the NiB BCG, but I was real surprised it worked so well bone dry.

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I never warmed up to the idea of running a gun bone dry myself and I would prefer to apply the appropriate amount of lube to keep it running optimally whenever possible. However, I ultimately decided on the WMD over the BCM for now because I like the idea of having a bolt that will keep launching bullets down range even with little or no amount of lube applied if it came down to it.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    I never really liked the idea. I'm not a real stickler for having a squeeky clean firearm, don't get me wrong, but a small bit of lube always seems like a good idea.

I was/am exactly the same... but I dove in head-first when I got the Fail Zero BCG. They said run it dry, so I did... about 8000 rounds worth. The most I would do is give it a wipe down after cleaning with a microfiber cloth impregnated with light oil. I suggest trying it on a rifle you don't care so much about and beat it up to improve your confidence in the technology.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Steel BCG dry in an aluminum receiver not a fan. I mean in a pinch sure but I always like a barrier lube in place for a large volume.

wjt1169

I run NiB BCGs in just about all of my ARs these days.

twoBCGs01.jpg

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Joe Bob, the BCG arrived yesterday. I fully appreciate the great service and bullet fast shipping. :thumbsup:

For the group, there a few questions/concerns I have regarding this particular BCG. The one I received differed from the one I've seen on-line in terms of appearance. Not sure when this happened, but I thought the outer sidewalls of the WMD carriers were angled toward the front end, rather than being traditionally rounded/smooth. Pictured below is the one I received compared to what I expected it to look like:

img4983e.jpg

WMD-NIBXBCG-2.jpg

It's no big deal if WMD decided to go with a more traditional carrier design, but I just wasn't aware of the change and wanted to confirm this is in fact the case. Also, with regards to packaging, is the packaging for the semi-auto and full auto carriers different? It appears they are now shipping the full auto BCGs in zip locks (bottom photo is mine):

wmdnibbcgpackaging.jpg

img4982c.jpg

Again, not a show stopper, but just curious to know when the change took place... if anything just for a piece of mind.

The BCG itself appears to have been fired. There was some noticeable residual carbon inside the bolt housing section of the carrier, and on both the firing pin and bolt. I'm assuming this was test fired at the factory as a quality control measure, but just wanted to be sure:

img4984gj.jpg

img4986.jpg

Small burr on the underside of the carrier, but I suspect it should not affect overall operability:

img4987ef.jpg

The only real issue I'm having is with removing the extractor pin. The extractor itself appears to have a very powerful extractor spring installed. I'm not sure because I cannot get the pin to push out freely. The pin itself won't budge from its retaining position. However, the extractor seems to be working just fine and does not appear to have a problem grabbing and ejecting rounds.

EDIT: The product description does mention that the extractor has a heavy duty spring installed. Never used one before and didn't realize it would seize up the extractor pin like that. I guess I need to eat more Wheaties. Extractor – Manufactured, heat treated, hardened, per Government drawings. Black extractor buffer and heavy duty spring. NiB-X coated.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    I Have a question about the R-gun Nickel Boron BCG. Does ayone have information about the this partical BCG. It is only $150.00. I need some feed back.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I Have a question about the R-gun Nickel Boron BCG. Does ayone have information about the this partical BCG. It is only $150.00. I need some feed back.

I thought I already shared this; but here it is again. A Fail Zero and a RGuns BCG side by side. The only difference I can find is that the Fail Zero does not use mil spec bolts on the gas key. They may be grade 8 bolts but the allen key size is different.

I won't buy anymore RGuns gear simply because the guys are real a$$ hats.

photo4.jpg

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    ^ Can anyone offer feedback on these observations?

1: Not sure if any other distributors have them do it, but we intentionally have WMD Guns put them in plastic bags rather than the large clamshell packaging. The clamshell packaging gets bent up and sometimes cracked in transit, and adds additional shipping costs headed our way and to customers due to size of packaging with little to no gain. It's more efficient, and the bolt isn't going to get hurt.

2: The carriers on at least this last batch (and maybe batches prior to this one) have been the rounded carriers rather than the faceted carriers. I believe Young Machine makes the faceted carrier, and I'm not sure who made this current batch of carriers for WMD. The quality is the same, but the picture is different. Sorry about the confusion.

3: ALL of WMD's BCG's (as well as most better BCG's) are test fired to ensure they work right out of the gate. There should be a bit of brass scratches on the bolt face and a tiny bit of residue left on the BCG itself from the test fire. Completely normal.

4:Is the burr a slight machining imperfection or a slight "dip" in the product or? Sorry about that. It must have been missed in QC at WMD. If you feel its an actual defect feel free to contact WMD (or we can help facilitate that) and we'll get it remedied. They all have a lifetime warranty. The NiB BCG's show more machining marks compared to a phosphate BCG, so SEEING more normal tool marks is normal with a NiB BCG. However, it shouldn't have any machining imperfections normally.

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    Running a BCM upper with a Young Manufactring chrome BCG soaking wet. I could not be happier!!!!

Last edited:

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    1: Not sure if any other distributors have them do it, but we intentionally have WMD Guns put them in plastic bags rather than the large clamshell packaging. The clamshell packaging gets bent up and sometimes cracked in transit, and adds additional shipping costs headed our way and to customers due to size of packaging with little to no gain. It's more efficient, and the bolt isn't going to get hurt.

2: The carriers on at least this last batch (and maybe batches prior to this one) have been the rounded carriers rather than the faceted carriers. I believe Young Machine makes the faceted carrier, and I'm not sure who made this current batch of carriers for WMD. The quality is the same, but the picture is different. Sorry about the confusion.

3: ALL of WMD's BCG's (as well as most better BCG's) are test fired to ensure they work right out of the gate. There should be a bit of brass scratches on the bolt face and a tiny bit of residue left on the BCG itself from the test fire. Completely normal.

4:Is the burr a slight machining imperfection or a slight "dip" in the product or? Sorry about that. It must have been missed in QC at WMD. If you feel its an actual defect feel free to contact WMD (or we can help facilitate that) and we'll get it remedied. They all have a lifetime warranty. The NiB BCG's show more machining marks compared to a phosphate BCG, so SEEING more normal tool marks is normal with a NiB BCG. However, it shouldn't have any machining imperfections normally.

Thanks for the follow-up, Joe. I put 60 rounds on it yesterday and I'll keep it. I'm not anal about a small burr that has no affect on the operation, so I don't see a need to send it back or have it replaced. I plan on sending rounds down range with it and getting my money's worth, not keeping it polished in a display case. And thanks for confirming the repackaging and test fire QC. Not overly concerned about WMD going with a different manufacturer for the carrier group, but it would be nice to state that the product may differ from what is advertised on the web site. I did manage to already destroy one of the gas rings yesterday, but the short upper I was using has done that before. I'll just replace it with a McFarland and drive on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom