• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Yeah, I was always under the impression that only a few companies actually *manufactured* BCGs. I thought most are just re-branded CMT/Stags, Colts, or LMTs.

I'm baffled why so many people are hung up on BCM BCGs. I own one and there doesn't appear to be a any discernible difference between it and my Spikes carrier. Both use the same steel and both are MPI.

My personal preference is any mil spec NiB coated BCG.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Either way your gonna have to keep it lubed ;)
    The NiB should extend how many rounds it takes before things become sluggish, thats all. I have no experiance with the NiB BCGs so I may be (and probly am :o) wrong. But as long as its a quality BCG, you should be fine. With that said, id lean towards the BCM.

Fail Zero recommends you run their BCG dry. Dry, as is, dry. No lube.

Let me tell you, I've put 500 rounds through my AR without a drop of lube in one session at the NRA Range. That's 500 rounds in about 45 minutes. Let me further tell you that I've put over 1500 rounds straight (across multiple shooting sessions) through my AR without a drop of lube as well. I did wipe off the BCG with a terry towel around 600 and 1200 rounds.

To make it even worse, at least 4/5ths of the rounds fired in the above were steel-case Wolf .223. I haven't had a single failure. I was extremely skeptical until I saw the performance myself, and it blew me away.

Every 2000-2500 rounds I've done a detail strip and as a final step, use a microfiber towel with some light oil as a final wipe-down of the BCG components and hammer, but that light surface coat is all the lubrication it gets.

And I will also say that the inside of the upper receiver and the charging handle are no worse for wear. Yes there are wear marks, but once the contact areas became slightly burnished the metal-to-metal wear became smooth operation.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    If you have extra money to blow, get an LMT enhanced bolt. That's far more interesting than a regular NiB coated bolt.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I have both. I was in the same boat as the op last year when starting my 3rd rifle. I decided to go all out with that rifle. I used the spikes nib trigger and bcg. Cycling the rifle, it feels smoother. It is easier to wipe off, but i wouldnt say its a world of difference to clean. Im anal about how clean my firearms are. Id say just feeling its texture vs a standard bcg it would make sense that it should last longer before needing more lube.

I built it with the same idea, in a SHTF situation id choose this rifle over the other 2 if i have to be out for a while.

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I guess an NiB treated BCM would be the ideal solution. Or I suppose I could just get the Spike's NiB and call it a day. Great discussion, all. Thanks.

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I took this picture a while ago and I've shared this a few times in the past, but it seems appropriate to do so again.

Anyone considering a Fail Zero BCG should take a look at the picture below.

One of these NiB BCGs is made by Fail Zero, the other is a "RGuns" house bolt. Can you tell the difference?

photo4.jpg

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I took this picture a while ago and I've shared this a few times in the past, but it seems appropriate to do so again.

Anyone considering a Fail Zero BCG should take a look at the picture below.

One of these NiB BCGs is made by Fail Zero, the other is a "RGuns" house bolt. Can you tell the difference?

Another example of many "brands" of BCG's but few manufacturers. 1B1B6 is the ToolCraft cage code for their military contract for M16 bolts. I knew Toolcraft makes (made?) Rguns's BCGS, and looks like FailZero's too. Interesting to see the wide gap in price between the two.

There also aren't many folks that are doing the actual NiB treatment right now, so it's likely the two bolts above are identical both in manufacturer, and NiB coater.

BTW: The latest NiB BCG from Rgun's is running very well in my 300BLK build, the extractor isn't NiB but does have a powerful spring.

-Jim

sailskidrive

Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    BTW: The latest NiB BCG from Rgun's is running very well in my 300BLK build, the extractor isn't NiB but does have a powerful spring.

Interesting, the extractor on mine is NiB coated. Unfortunately I don't have picture of the other side of the BCG.

Another example of many "brands" of BCG's but few manufacturers.

Fulton Armory uses the same supplier as Colt; I have a feeling good number of the bolts and carriers on the market are made by CMT.

EMS_92

Oct 8, 2012
    Fail Zero recommends you run their BCG dry. Dry, as is, dry. No lube.

Let me tell you, I've put 500 rounds through my AR without a drop of lube in one session at the NRA Range. That's 500 rounds in about 45 minutes. Let me further tell you that I've put over 1500 rounds straight (across multiple shooting sessions) through my AR without a drop of lube as well. I did wipe off the BCG with a terry towel around 600 and 1200 rounds.

To make it even worse, at least 4/5ths of the rounds fired in the above were steel-case Wolf .223. I haven't had a single failure. I was extremely skeptical until I saw the performance myself, and it blew me away.

Every 2000-2500 rounds I've done a detail strip and as a final step, use a microfiber towel with some light oil as a final wipe-down of the BCG components and hammer, but that light surface coat is all the lubrication it gets.

And I will also say that the inside of the upper receiver and the charging handle are no worse for wear. Yes there are wear marks, but once the contact areas became slightly burnished the metal-to-metal wear became smooth operation.

Thanks for the valuable insight :thumbsup:
    Sounds like a nice upgrade if you can afford it.

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Rog.

<<BREAK>>

There are different ways to doing NiB coating/treatment. Just because it looks the same doesn't mean it is the same, nor that it will perform the same after 15,000 rounds. If you shoot 100 rounds at the range every couple months, then it really doesn't matter.

UCT does the treatment for Fail Zero, and has been in the business for 20+ years. You can read all about their technology on their website. They in fact have two NiB application options to choose from, depending on the use requirements. Bottom line, not all NiB is the same.

http://www.uctcoatings.com/capabilities/coatings/

It is very difficult or impossible to find the same level of detail on other NiB BCG retailers' websites.

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Does anyone know if there is a company that uses Nitrate Salt Bath for heat treating and coating of a BCG?

I had this done by a German company for a Lilja barrel, so now all of the external surfaces (and the rifling) are an RC65-70.

I've got to figure the barrel will now last the crazy number of rounds... but the bolt itself is now rubbing against a surface that potentially harder than it.

(The bolt is a matte finish hard chrome... so they should be similar.)

GB

Last edited:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Does anyone know if there is a company that uses Nitrate Salt Bath for heat treating and coating of a BCG?

I had this done by a German company for a Lilja barrel, so now all of the external surfaces (and the rifling) are an RC65-70.

I've got to figure the barrel will now last the crazy number of rounds... but the bolt itself is now rubbing against a surface that potentially harder than it.

(The bolt is a matte finish hard chrome... so they should be similar.)

GB

www.wmdguns.com will do that, but if your going to Salt Bath Nitrocarburize then why not just NiB it?

-Jim

GBMaryland

Feb 23, 2008
    MoCo
    Why NiB over SBN?

(And, to be technically accurate, the company that did the coating doesn't use the Salt Bath to acheive the Nitrocarburization effect... it's some proprietary method. ...but is really cool to have a black barrel and black rifling that don't require more than a patch through the bore to get clean.)

I can tell you the having the barrel done only cost me $30.00 because a buddy of mine is a manufacturer, and he sent the barrel over with a huge lot of components. I was pleasently suprised.

Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Very few companies make their own BCG in-house (Hint, Spike's, BCM, WMD, and RRA don't make their own). As long as a company is not getting the "seconds" (which none of those would be) then they should be good to go. They're all being bought from a handful of BCG makers most likely. The biggest thing, IMO, you should look for, is individually MPI testing. Most of the quality bolts have this. That tells you at least that BCG shouldn't have any premature stress cracks. Spike's, WMD, and BCM should all be individually MPI tested. RRA I BELIEVE are just batch tested, FWIW. Any company or manufacturer can have a bad product slip through, but a quick MPI test should weed most if not all of them out.

Joe Bob, I've placed a couple of orders for parts from you recently and I'm very pleased with your service and fast shipping. I need a new BCG sooner rather than later, so I will be placing an order for the WMD BCG this week.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Joe Bob, I've placed a couple of orders for parts from you recently and I'm very pleased with your service and fast shipping. I need a new BCG sooner rather than later, so I will be placing an order for the WMD BCG this week.

:thumbsup:

Just FYI, at this time we're getting low (A hair over a dozen) so I'd suggest ordering sooner than later to ensure availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom