• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Your collection, while different, is no less valid. I'm not so interested in the exact gun, but I've considered collecting weapons used by the infamous. Thompson's because of Bonnie and Clyde (and the Mafia), Carcano due to Kennedy, the Texas tower kid, a Charter Arms Bulldog, etc. Not the exact gun, but examples of the type.

I have the same interest. Not just infamous guns but famous guns as well. For example, Dirty Harry's S&W Model 29. I started a thread here a while back about famous and infamous guns. I got many good suggestions. I have started my collection. I do not have many, but I have started. I just added a new infamous gun to my collection. When it is released by the MSP and my FFL, I will share my new addition.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I don't know why it took me so long to think of this.....could the person have been a member here?

I thought about this, however most members here (at least active ones) tend to own at least one pistol. Usually the suicides at gun ranges do it there to gain access to a firearm. I do not think that it is likely they were a member here. My prayers go out to affected family and staff at OT.

Dont take this the wrong way

personally thinking it was some liberal nut job to further the gun grabbers, he didnt want to wait the 90 days to get one of his own so he used one of the few FFL's that does follow the law but since he never bought a firearm they didnt release to him on the 8 th day

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Dont take this the wrong way

personally thinking it was some liberal nut job to further the gun grabbers, he didnt want to wait the 90 days to get one of his own so he used one of the few FFL's that does follow the law but since he never bought a firearm they didnt release to him on the 8 th day

I think you are reading way to much into what were probably the tragic actions of a very disturbed individual.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    9 pages in this thread - do we really know yet exactly what happened, or is it still just hearsay and speculation, with a heavy peppering of barbs tossed between the thread participants?

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Actually I'd like to get back to the subject at hand. Nothing on the news last night, nothing on line for news except that one para in the gazette. Sort of would like to know what happened since the media is silent, if the staff is ok and if the place is open or if this will impact their business.

They're open today.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Personally thinking it was some liberal nut job to further the gun grabbers, he didnt want to wait the 90 days to get one of his own so he used one of the few FFL's that does follow the law but since he never bought a firearm they didnt release to him on the 8 th day

If it was a suicide, he wanted to take his own life and OT happened to be the closest range that rents. I really don't think there's any more to it than that.

Because the LEOs seem to have already ruled out "foul play" so quickly, it seems obvious the bullet came from the rental. Whether it was intentional or not still isn't clear.

I'm surprised OT hasn't already clarified this train wreck of a thread, if there's no ongoing investigation.

Scubashawn

Mar 9, 2013
    The worst part for me is that I sent a private message to the handle of "OnTarget" here because I had some very disappointing feedback and safety concerns. When he said he wasn't associated with them I didn't bother to say anything to anybody but I will now at least provide something.

A very good friend of mine who I used to work with moved here from Australia and has a couple of kids with one of the sons being 11. If you know anything about Australia, you will know they really aren't allowed to have guns as citizens so they are not trained on using them.

He mentioned to me last week that he and his son went there a couple times now to do some legal shooting and he rented some of the guns....all sounds okay until he mentions that he had to ask the person to show him how they worked because they just gave him the guns and ammo and walked away.... He didn't feel comfortable and asked for instructions which they gave on how to safely load and fire the gun.

I get that proper gun training is the shooter's responsibility but the range should have some way of at least asking some basic questions before giving to strangers and one of them being a kid. I really hope this has nothing to do with improper safety practices.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    The worst part for me is that I sent a private message to the handle of "OnTarget" here because I had some very disappointing feedback and safety concerns. When he said he wasn't associated with them I didn't bother to say anything to anybody but I will now at least provide something.

A very good friend of mine who I used to work with moved here from Australia and has a couple of kids with one of the sons being 11. If you know anything about Australia, you will know they really aren't allowed to have guns as citizens so they are not trained on using them.

He mentioned to me last week that he and his son went there a couple times now to do some legal shooting and he rented some of the guns....all sounds okay until he mentions that he had to ask the person to show him how they worked because they just gave him the guns and ammo and walked away.... He didn't feel comfortable and asked for instructions which they gave on how to safely load and fire the gun.

I get that proper gun training is the shooter's responsibility but the range should have some way of at least asking some basic questions before giving to strangers and one of them being a kid. I really hope this has nothing to do with improper safety practices.

To put this out there is more or less saying it was the stores fault for what happend when you have no knowledge of of what happend . Its shit like this that cause rumors which are unfounded .

And this is for everyone

An incident happend and thats it . Unless you have a copy of the police report or were there please stop tossing out rumors or any other misguided info . This is the first incident ever in over 20 plus years for this company .
    \

Scubashawn

Mar 9, 2013
    What I am saying is that it wouldn't surprise me because of my direct knowledge on what I just mentioned. A 20 year record means nothing if there is still room for improvement and my statement is not rumors. Maybe I should have put this as a separate post a couple weeks ago when I heard it? Either way these are the facts.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    What I am saying is that it wouldn't surprise me because of my direct knowledge on what I just mentioned. A 20 year record means nothing if there is still room for improvement and my statement is not rumors. Maybe I should have put this as a separate post a couple weeks ago when I heard it? Either way these are the facts.

:sad20:

Dave T

I went to OT yesterday during lunch with some co-workers. Obviously our plans had to change. Just the County cop car and a mobile crime lab unit there (There were people inside the locked store).

The media blackout would sure seem to imply a suicide. The media tends to keep quiet about that. Any other firearms related incident and they jump all over it to help with their agenda.

I called OT a bit ago. They are back open for business. I politely asked if there was any info he could share and all he would say was that there was an "incident" there yesterday.

BTW - I'm a newbie here. Came here searching for news on the "incident". What does ND mean?

Leeann

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2011
    Edgewater
    When you are in a place so dark that you feel your best option is to put a gun to your head and pull the trigger, it is highly unlikely that you are concerned with etiquette. There are many reasons people consider suicide. If that reason is depression, then that person is quite severely mentally ill. It impairs their thinking. People who suicide often feel their families will be better off without them. They often feel that they are making things better for everyone by doing what they do.

My prayers go out to the person who died, and particularly those that had to witness this. This is a tragic event that has impacted the lives of many.

This.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland

Actually I do not see a problem with this. Think about it. Have you ever played laser tag? They make you watch that stupid video about how to play and the rules. It is pure safety.

My buddy here in Frederick is planning to open an indoor range. They are securing the location now and getting the contractors together, and I was going over some of the concerns people here on the forum have had about other ranges, RSO not being on duty, etc and brought up the "safety video".

I think it is 100% responsible, especially for new shooters. They NEED this. I know when I bought my first gun I felt like a moron asking questions, but I had no idea how to even get the slide to lock back. These basic things should be done simply to help new shooters.

Its responsible and it is not an infringement. It is saying "hey dude, you need to know how to use that cool tool you just purchased, let us show you how"

I am not putting any blame on OT but I see no problem with ranges making new customers do a quick safety review prior to entering the range.

Dave T

Thanks rob-cubed for the clarification on "ND".

A buddy of mine went to OT a while back to see what they had for sale and to scope out the range. He said he was apprehensive of the range... felt it was too relaxed, too easy for anyone to get on the range. Once when I was there, two of the guys in our group were first time shooters. They’re educated, cool-headed guys, but I made sure to give them plenty of instruction. When on the lanes I wanted to point something else out and I took one step out of the booth with the handgun (empty with no mag), just for a moment. One of the range guys came over and said he appreciated me giving them instruction, but to always keep the weapons in the booth. So I feel they do monitor, without trying to be anal.

The Australia family mentioned earlier though… that is scary. Seems the ranges should at least ask a couple basic questions to gauge the shooter's knowledge of handling/shooting a firearm. Accidents can happen so fast, and there’s no re-set button like on a video game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom