Anyone hold the barrel of a semiautomatic pistol while it's shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    No.

Your finger is "powering" the cylinder to turn to bring the next round ready to fire on a revolver.

A semi auto, your finger is simply making the pistol fire. But it's the firing of that round that powers the slide back to chamber the next round.

Does a round "load" ready to be fired when pulling the trigger on both, sure. The difference is in HOW those rounds are "loaded" to be fired.
    Cool! Thanks....

PeterT

Apr 9, 2019

For 21 years as rangemaster at a New York Police academy, I had every recruit hold his own slide while his partner confirmed that no part of his body was ahead of the front sight then fire. Attempted to fire again, corrected the stoppage and fired 1 round and reholstered. This was done with more than 1,000 recruits with zero problems. The exercise provided them with an operational understanding of what might happen during a struggle. A safe range can be operated in an unsafe manner and unusual drills can be conducted in a safe manner when properly explained, demonstrated and executed.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Seems somewhat redundant to teach a point. I wouldn't classify it as fundamentally unsafe as long as they were making sure the hand wasn't past the muzzle when firing.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's fun and all, but the most important thing about this is what you do/should be doing to avoid it before this happens and after it happens, whether you are the one trying to shoot the pistol or the one grabbing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom