Anyone hold the barrel of a semiautomatic pistol while it's shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not the barrel, but behind the side to induce a failure. Sure. You need to know what goes on when that happens.

But doing this is pretty stupid from a safety point of view.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Could be a useful demonstration, basically expect 1 round and a malf, or nothing if it's bumped out of battery. Useful from a grappling standpoint if an untrained person points a handgun at contact distance. Useful for firearm defense if you make enough mistakes to end up in a position to "shoot them off the gun", you should expect a malf drill. That being said it's horribly dangerous for the whole class to do. Good chance of a hole in someone if the slide slips or someone doesn't see a leg or arm in line with the muzzle. Good chance of getting powder burns too. This is better done with a demonstration and blue gun practice.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I have never seen this in a firearms training class, but grabbing the slide is something we trained on in grapple and disarming training. The techniques we used allow you to control direction of muzzle and, if they fire, induces a malfunction preventing additional shots. (And the active grapple and disarming portion is with a blue gun.)

Last edited:

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Did anyone else come to this thread expecting a different result along with a guy being called “Lefty” the rest of his life?

chriskat

Nov 1, 2009
    I don't think his insurance company would be very happy with him allowing his students to do that. Assuming he has an insurance company.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Try it with a revolver. Ouch!!

Revolver firing.PNG

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    With the revolver, the ideal is to prevent the cylinder from moving Preventing it from firing even once.
    hammer cocked to single action doesn't need to rotate, it is already over the live chamber. You better be able to see that hammer

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    hammer cocked to single action doesn't need to rotate, it is already over the live chamber. You better be able to see that hammer
    I thought that’s when you try to jam the webbing between your thumb and hand between the hammer and the frame. I actually remember MacGyver (the real, original one) doing it with a wooden ruler in one episode.

-Rob

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Again, "You'd have to be dead lucky, Princess"!
    W. Garvin
    Its the revolver equivalent of pushing back on the slide of a 1911 type pistol hard enough to engage the OOB mechanisms, during a gunfight To prevent the hammer being released.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I thought that’s when you try to jam the webbing between your thumb and hand between the hammer and the frame. I actually remember MacGyver (the real, original one) doing it with a wooden ruler in one episode.

-Rob
    Providing you chose quickly enough between double action stopping the cylinder from rotating and cocked to single action.
    I just wouldn't try it against a revolver. You don't have time to make the observation and decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom