Anyone hold the barrel of a semiautomatic pistol while it's shot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You need to know this stuff.

You might have to make a contact shot when say wrestling, being so close, you push the pistol into them.

This could push the slide back, take the pistol out of battery, then the pistol won't shoot.
    Well you can push forward against the slide, counter that contact, and get 1 shot off.

Thusly, with a 1911, you can have the thumb safety engaged, press the trigger while making the contact, then depress the safety.

One reason why I don't like grip safeties. You might get into some ridiculous, contorted position and not have a good grip in order to engage it.

Just some food for thought.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    I saw this in one of those tactical run hide fight videos a few years back. They didn't do it with a live round. Makes sense but man it takes everything to go perfect to work doesn't it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is one of the top 3 arguments in favor of Revolvers .
    The HIGH unlikelihood of this scenario happening does not warrant the preference of the lower performance of revolver over a semi auto.

You ever have someone wrap their hand over the cylinder and you try pressing the trigger with your finger? I have, and the finger is not stronger.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As I said, above providing the revolver is not in single action with the hammer back where you must reach over and intercept the hammer fall.

Do you have time to decide which action type the revolver has and which grip you need to use?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You need to know this stuff.

You might have to make a contact shot when say wrestling, being so close, you push the pistol into them.

This could push the slide back, take the pistol out of battery, then the pistol won't shoot.
    Well you can push forward against the slide, counter that contact, and get 1 shot off.

Thusly, with a 1911, you can have the thumb safety engaged, press the trigger while making the contact, then depress the safety.

One reason why I don't like grip safeties. You might get into some ridiculous, contorted position and not have a good grip in order to engage it.

Just some food for thought.
    This whole thread does show the benefits of grappling with blue guns and understanding contact shots and malf drills. There are a few techniques like grabbing over the top of the slide, shoving the pistol into the attacker to bump them back, and firing with the hand over top holding the pistol in battery, then quickly doing a malf drill after stepping back. Definitely not something new shooters will be taught in a basic class, but more advanced and LEO classes should.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This whole thread does show the benefits of grappling with blue guns and understanding contact shots and malf drills. There are a few techniques like grabbing over the top of the slide, shoving the pistol into the attacker to bump them back, and firing with the hand over top holding the pistol in battery, then quickly doing a malf drill after stepping back. Definitely not something new shooters will be taught in a basic class, but more advanced and LEO classes should.
    Anyone who decides to partake in trying their own disarming drills at home, make sure who you are practicing on DOES NOT HAVE THEIR FINGER INSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD. You will break their finger. You have to grab the hand grip under the trigger guard.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Anyone who decides to partake in trying their own disarming drills at home, make sure who you are practicing on DOES NOT HAVE THEIR FINGER INSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD. You will break their finger. You have to grab the hand grip under the trigger guard.
    True and good point, but IMO best to train in a class or with an instructor, there are some things that can be dangerous, even with a blue gun till someone learns the basics. I'm lucky enough to have PD and MIL instructors at my BJJ academy to work with, and a lot of prior tactical training and grappling experience. Without some basic safety and knowledge someone can get hurt by rolling around on their living room floor trying to figure it out on their own.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    True and good point, but IMO best to train in a class or with an instructor, there are some things that can be dangerous, even with a blue gun till someone learns the basics. I'm lucky enough to have PD and MIL instructors at my BJJ academy to work with, and a lot of prior tactical training and grappling experience. Without some basic safety and knowledge someone can get hurt by rolling around on their living room floor trying to figure it out on their own.
    That goes without saying. But that won't stop some people from You tubing.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    To paraphrase post #119 This is not basic to anyone at all.

This is stupid, foolish, nuts filled with absurdity.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Absolutely. This was actually maybe one of the more dangerous things we practiced in CQGF class. You could easily break a dude's trigger finger during a disarm if it's not in the right position. That's a bonus if you're in a real fight, but not so hot if it's your buddy during practice.

But I fully agree with you that understanding how guns work is absolutely key when you're up close and personal. Not too hard to get someone's gun out of battery if they present you an opportunity and you know what to look for.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    "You could easily break a dude's trigger finger during a disarm if it's not in the right position. That's a bonus if you're in a real fight, but not so hot if it's your buddy during practice."
    That was touted as an advantage IRL. Can't pull the trigger with a broken (or better still, shattered) trigger finger.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    All my revolvers and pistols are semi auto, could be that there is more to it and I don’t know. But I always thought semi auto = trigger pull To fire each round.
    No.

Your finger is "powering" the cylinder to turn to bring the next round ready to fire on a revolver.

A semi auto, your finger is simply making the pistol fire. But it's the firing of that round that powers the slide back to chamber the next round.

Does a round "load" ready to be fired when pulling the trigger on both, sure. The difference is in HOW those rounds are "loaded" to be fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom