• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    So these little cannons are ok to shoot off on your own property?
    You won't be charged for discharging a firearm or something like that?
    I'm tempted to get one now.

If you're in a free county, you're almost certainly good to go. Provided you use common sense and don't shoot projectiles out of it towards neighbor's houses, or fire it off at inappropriate times, of course.

If you live in a crime- or leftist-control-freak-infested county like PG, Montgomery, etc., you may want to ask local law enforcement, first.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    :) I think something is in the bore holding onto it form the left where its cut off. Or photo editing. or maybe just ....... Black (powder) Magic!

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    They were using a fork from a forklift to load it into my dads car. It has a 2 1/4 bore.

CB0601 Field Cannon Barrel 2/3 Scale

Barrel is 43"long, breech diameter 7". Steel lined, 2 1/4" smoothbore has a 1/4" vent hole with 2" trunnions. Barrel is sand cast; weighs 250 pounds.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    They were using a fork from a forklift to load it into my dads car. It has a 2 1/4 bore.

CB0601 Field Cannon Barrel 2/3 Scale

Barrel is 43"long, breech diameter 7". Steel lined, 2 1/4" smoothbore has a 1/4" vent hole with 2" trunnions. Barrel is sand cast; weighs 250 pounds.

How much did that cost? I'm looking to get a cannon before this 4th of July.

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    I'm putting the finishing touches on a model naval gun. Pics when finished. Specs: 11" long, 1 5/8" diameter at the breech tapered to 1 1/4" just behind the flared muzzle, .625" bore, 1/8" vent. I turned/bored it myself out of a very expensive piece of bronze shafting. Figuring out how to secure the trunnions was the toughest part.

I proof tested it with 85gr. FFg and two .610 lead balls, 3 shots. She should be ok for a lifetime of 30-40 grains + one ball (or 3/4 oz. #4 lead shot for a "canister" load). Fired one of the test shots into a cinder block from ten feet away- smashed it in two. (Called for a loooong fuse and a big tree to hide behind!)

The plan is to set it up on my buddy's dock and fire at buoy targets moored out in the bay on July 4th.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    My Dad got his carriage done, did the wheels himself.

Attachments

• canon carrage.jpg
      canon carrage.jpg
      51 KB · Views: 394

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Would a cast iron canon be safe to shoot? Looks more ornamental to me. I may take a ride up and see what the auction looks like. There's a few items that may pry open my wallet...

Oops, that my anniversary weekend. I doubt it, but maybe the wife would be interested.
    Jim Smith

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    That gun carriage is supremely impressive!

"Would a cast iron cannon be safe to shoot?" Yes, if it has a seamless steel tube liner. Without that I would relegate it to blank firing only.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I can only fire blank loads in my cannons since I don't have any good places for firing projectiles within 6 hours of where I live. Real black powder like Goex is the best for blank blasts, but it seems to be impossible to get in this commie state.
    777 and pyrodex are everywhere but for some reason the substitutes just don't seem to work for blank loads. Maybe I'm doing something wrong like not enough wadding? I try to put a bunch of newspaper on top and pack it down tight but I just don't get the kind of results I do with the real stuff. Anyone have any tips or techniques for firing loud blanks with substitutes or know where I can get some Goex?
    Here's a video of some of my cannons on the 4th using Goex ffg....

1" night blast with 375 grains ffg...

noahhh

Jan 28, 2009
    Arnold,Md
    As promised, some pics of the model naval gun I just finished building. Specs of the barrel in above reply. Carriage made of wenge and ash. Overall length a little over a foot, weighs9 pounds. Not a repro of any particular gun, more of a concept piece. Lots of fun making it, hopefully lots of fun shooting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom