• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    This just popped up last week (first of 2023, I made it 9 hours longer then Trepang LOL) and flew under the radar. At first glance it looks, quite frankly, like a piece of crap especially with the shiny smooth wood grips and Uncle Mike's holster in the listing. Completely "in the white" with no bluing originally (no traces inside or out) and overall Browning "patina" (apropos I guess!). Closer examination reveals no proofs, inspection stamps or standard factory serial numbers. Although there were reports of unfinished parts being smuggled out for the resistance, this pistol appears to be one of the ones assembled immediately following the liberation of the FN factory as opposed to during German occupation. The slide logo has a unique "G" that looks like a stylized "C" and seems to only appear starting around the mid 40000's C block and through the A prefix post-lib guns.

Vanderlinden shows two post-lib FN 1922's "in the white" but with German C-block serial numbers; one has no proofs, the other has Belgian proofs. He also has one example very similar to this one but it's blued. In that case, there is a "22" stamped inside the frame dust cover. Mine has a very similar-looking number stamped on the front of the frame. There are no inspectors stamps on that example in the book, nor on mine. Both Mawkie's C-block no-proofs and my C-block with proofs have an "MR" stamped on the left trigger guard (internal inspection mark).

I'm not sure where this fits relative to Mawkie's C-block no-proofs and my C-block, Belgian proofs post-lib guns, or if it's something different. The slide logo indicates to me that at least the slide itself falls in the post-liberation window somewhere, and lack of bluing supports the period immediately after liberation I think. Anyway, it's one of those cases where what looks like a piece of junk turns out to be a jewel in disguise.

nsn-1.JPG
    nsn-2.JPG
    nsn-3 - Copy.JPG
    nsn-4 - Copy.JPG
    nsn-5 - Copy.JPG
    nsn-6 - Copy.JPG
    nsn-7 - Copy.JPG
    nsn-10 - Copy.JPG

nsn-14c.JPG

Last edited:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Yup. Those are the typical late WW2 grips. I had a spare pair floating around to replace the aftermarket ones that came on it - these aftermarket ones are actually quite attractive, but they just don't work with this pistol :) It probably should have the dark brown plastic ones (ala Mawkie's) but those are pretty much unobtanium I think but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Looking closer at yours, it has the "first" type of slide logo with a distinct G so that narrows things down a little. Interesting.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Gotta say congratulations, you found something even more of a unicorn. While I pride myself at being good at finding unobtainum you're taking it to a new level. In reflection, you have to be happy that you didn't get that 1922 in the same auction as mine. This was a waaaaay better find! I'd reach out to Tony V. with a PM on GB, can't think of anyone else who could opine with any authority on your new find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom