• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    This is a kind of arcane variation but it's also the kind of stuff I really dig (late-war weirdness). When the Germans got run out of Belgium, they looted a lot of the tooling and other machinery at the FN factory... but left behind all of the parts and partially assembled pistols. This FN 1922 was assembled by the Belgians immediately after the factory was re-captured in September 1944, using already machined and serialed parts. It's the very last of the "C" block FN 1922's and has only Belgian proofs, not German. At the end of the occupation, the C blocks were usually pretty crudely machined and this pistol shows some of that if you look close (front sight for instance). Anyway, I'm glad RIA didn't identify it properly and called it "non-professional refinish" - which it most definitely is not, it's original :)

Bonus points for 3 spare magazines, including a pre-war 9mm (380), a early war WaA140 proof .32 ACP (in rough shape) and a probably early post-war parkerized .32 ACP.

Once the few C block parts were used up, the un-numbered parts manufactured under the occupation were assembled into the "A" prefix pistols, which are a whole 'nother topic.

C1.JPG
    C2.JPG
    C3.JPG
    C4.JPG
    C5.JPG
    C6.JPG
    C7.JPG
    C8.JPG
    C9.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    BTW the serial numbering scheme changed a few times, at the end the Germans put the last 4 digits and letter suffix on the frame, barrel and nose cap. The slide has the full number. This started somewhere in the 90,000b range. They did a similar thing on the High Power, although it was 3 digits + the suffix. Not sure where that serial number range started, maybe early b block.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -This is why if you're consigning to sell something this rare you don't use RIA. They had zero clue as to what they were selling. All the better for somd_mustangs, who did the deep dive and now profits from the hard work.
    -Amazing find, the C suffix 1922s are very rare. A crazy short window between the Germans fleeing and much of the FN staff and inspectors (who had taken their inspection stamps with them when the Germans invaded and occupied the FN factory) returning and immediately re-starting production using parts on hand. Most early post war FN 1922s will have the A prefix and many were sold to GIs.
    -Tony Vanderlinden contributed to a thread on GB concerning the authenticity of the finish on an early A prefix example. Like this one it was indeed determined to be original and he mentioned seeing a great variety of finishes on these early post war examples. Some more heavily polished than others. The thought behind it was that putting more time into polishing was a form of sabotage as it slowed production, putting fewer pistols into German hands.

macimay13

Dec 18, 2023
    Vermont
    This is a kind of arcane variation but it's also the kind of stuff I really dig (late-war weirdness). When the Germans got run out of Belgium, they looted a lot of the tooling and other machinery at the FN factory... but left behind all of the parts and partially assembled pistols. This FN 1922 was assembled by the Belgians immediately after the factory was re-captured in September 1944, using already machined and serialed parts. It's the very last of the "C" block FN 1922's and has only Belgian proofs, not German. At the end of the occupation, the C blocks were usually pretty crudely machined and this pistol shows some of that if you look close (front sight for instance). Anyway, I'm glad RIA didn't identify it properly and called it "non-professional refinish" - which it most definitely is not, it's original :)

Bonus points for 3 spare magazines, including a pre-war 9mm (380), a early war WaA140 proof .32 ACP (in rough shape) and a probably early post-war parkerized .32 ACP.

Once the few C block parts were used up, the un-numbered parts manufactured under the occupation were assembled into the "A" prefix pistols, which are a whole 'nother topic.

View attachment 390512 View attachment 390513 View attachment 390514 View attachment 390515 View attachment 390516 View attachment 390517 View attachment 390518 View attachment 390519 View attachment 390520
    Super cool! I just inherited my grandfather’s FN 1922 with Serial 44949C with no proof stamps at all. I suspect this was assembled post German inspections and prior to FN inspections resumed proof stamping after the Germans left the factory.

macimay13

Dec 18, 2023
    Vermont
    The finish was less than ideal but suspect it was manufactured during the last part of the occupation.

Attachments

• IMG_9463.jpeg
      IMG_9463.jpeg
      533.3 KB · Views: 34

macimay13

Dec 18, 2023
    Vermont
    macinmay13 we need more photos please!
    Gladly. My grandfather was part of the First Special Service Force and originally from Baltimore MD. I’m in Vermont due to him meeting my grandmother in Colchester during training at Fort Ethan Allen. Not sure exactly when this piece was manufactured. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      469.6 KB · Views: 32
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      429.6 KB · Views: 32
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      212.4 KB · Views: 33
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      398 KB · Views: 32
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      428.6 KB · Views: 32
    Jul 1, 2012
    Awesome pistol! That's a really neat example... it probably had thin finish (and you can see it has rough machining) right from the factory so it didn't hold up as well. This one was probably made in the month or two right after the Germans beat feet, not under their actual occupation.

I just picked up a really interesting one in the late B block with NO proofs as well. What's even more interesting is it has the commercial "triangle" on the back of the frame and has the "Shooting Policeman" logo of the German retailer (AKAH - Albrecht Kind). It's the only one with proper serial numbers that I've seen w/o proofs. In the 87000b block still well within the occupation time period.
    David R's pics, haven't had a chance to take some myself...
    7.jpg
    8.jpg
    9.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Gladly. My grandfather was part of the First Special Service Force and originally from Baltimore MD. I’m in Vermont due to him meeting my grandmother in Colchester during training at Fort Ethan Allen. Not sure exactly when this piece was manufactured. Any thoughts?
    Thanks for sharing! so_md_mustangs is better versed than moi in this subject so if he's jazzed then you've inherited something nice. Agree that the finish is most likely original.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Awesome pistol! That's a really neat example... it probably had thin finish (and you can see it has rough machining) right from the factory so it didn't hold up as well. This one was probably made in the month or two right after the Germans beat feet, not under their actual occupation.

I just picked up a really interesting one in the late B block with NO proofs as well. What's even more interesting is it has the commercial "triangle" on the back of the frame and has the "Shooting Policeman" logo of the German retailer (AKAH - Albrecht Kind). It's the only one with proper serial numbers that I've seen w/o proofs. In the 87000b block still well within the occupation time period.
    David R's pics, haven't had a chance to take some myself...
    View attachment 445529 View attachment 445530 View attachment 445531
    Wow, that's a winner! I'm trying to figure out where David is getting his inventory from these days. I used to bump heads with him often on the auction circuit but haven't seen his online handle at all. Perhaps he's changed it or is tapped into another source besides the auction circuit.
    One thing's for sure, you should post this over on Jan Stills site where Tony Vanderlinden hangs out. I'm sure he'd love seeing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom