• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Oh the things you find digging away in the dusty corners of the auction world on the 'net. The first of these was an FN 1922 that caught my eye because of a lack of inspector marks. No Belgian or German! SN places it in a very tiny sliver of time between the German overlords fleeing the Allied advance into the Liege area and the Belgian inspectors coming back to the FN proof house (Belgian staff had evacuated the FN proof house in '40 and took their dies with them). Pistols were assembled from C suffix German parts. Anthony Vanderlinden has listed seven observed serial numbers for C suffix post liberation pistols. This example is not one of them, so the observed total gets bumped to eight.
    -Condition is very good with a rare brown bakelite brown grip. Sadly the right grip is a reproduction. But I'm more than happy to take it as it is so rare to find in any condition. Of course the cherry on top was the hammer price that had it delivered to me below $500. Christmas comes early!
    -The other rare gem is a very early Star 1908 chambered in .25 ACP. I had never seen one of these outside of the Antaris Star reference book. A deep search online came up with 2 examples sold in Europe in the last decade. Both of those were in rough condition, the opposite of this one. I have never seen a Star pistol with such a beautiful, deep high polish finish. Stupid difficult to photograph, just like early Colt pistols. The only blemish is a small chip out of the right grip. The SN is 3 digits, just above 500. A beautiful little gem. Cost was a bit more than the FN but not enough to dissuade me because I guarantee I'll never see another 1908 in my lifetime. Let alone in this pristine condition. I apologize for the poor quality of the photos. This one is just that hard to shoot under artificial lighting.
    IMGP9868.JPG

IMGP9869.JPG

IMGP9870.JPG

IMGP9867.JPG

IMGP9871.JPG

IMGP9872.JPG

IMGP9876.JPG

IMGP9874.JPG

IMGP9873.JPG

IMGP9879.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    Both super-duper!
    I'm particularly in love with the FN 1922 though :)
    That fits in the slot between the last of the German-production and proofed C-blocks and the Belgian-proofed C-blocks (of which there are also very few):

Jul 1, 2012
    Mawkie's FN 1922 is also noteworthy for the extreme frustration involved in the internet-only live auction itself. I was bidding on another one in that auction and got hosed by their nonsense... every time ANYONE made a bid on ANY lot, ALL the times for each auction lot reset. There were a lot of people waiting till the last second to bid $1 on an ammunition lot, for instance, and it reset everyone. After a couple of hours of that crap the reset time reduced to 2 minutes, and I think it was 4 hours or so after the advertised end time that the chaos finally ended. Thankfully for Mawkie their incompetence extended to their descriptions. :)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Mawkie's FN 1922 is also noteworthy for the extreme frustration involved in the internet-only live auction itself. I was bidding on another one in that auction and got hosed by their nonsense... every time ANYONE made a bid on ANY lot, ALL the times for each auction lot reset. There were a lot of people waiting till the last second to bid $1 on an ammunition lot, for instance, and it reset everyone. After a couple of hours of that crap the reset time reduced to 2 minutes, and I think it was 4 hours or so after the advertised end time that the chaos finally ended. Thankfully for Mawkie their incompetence extended to their descriptions. :)
    Yeah, that was, luckily, a unique experience that I've never seen in hundreds of online timed auctions with soft landings. Totally agree that the auction staff, along with competitors, ignorance on what the FN really was helped immensely. BTW, Anthony Vanderlinden has a nice article on the FN 1922 Centennial up on the NRA website. He mentions this period of time in the FN factory history prominently. Worth reading.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I like both of them. You must spend a lot of time searching these out.
    You have no idea... Being single (mostly) certainly helps. Doubt anybody who has a young family would have the time or inclination to do the deep dives needed to ferret out this stuff. But for me it truly is about the hunt much of the time. Plus the 'net has been a HUGE plus. Pre internet you had gunshows, personal relationships with other collectors and the Shotgun News as your primary means of collecting. I have a collecting buddy, who's older than me (I'm in my mid 60's) who spent a huge amount of time and gas money driving about WVA, MD and PA going from shop to shop after his retirement. Something that wouldn't work nearly as well these days with fewer shops and the cost of travel in general. But he was able to amass an impressive collection in the process.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Took a few more photos, hopefully a bit of an improvement. Pulled a Star Model 1920 from the safe to show you just how tiny the 1908 is.
    IMGP9880.JPG

IMGP9881.JPG

IMGP9882.JPG

IMGP9884.JPG

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Mawkie I have a FN 1922 that has a C suffix serial number with Waffenamt proof marks that is just under 2,000 less that your serial number.
    I bought it off Guy Whidden, a WW2 veteran who told me that he captured it off a German officer during the war. Unfortunately I don't have the capture papers for it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Mawkie I have a FN 1922 that has a C suffix serial number with Waffenamt proof marks that is just under 2,000 less that your serial number.
    I bought it off Guy Whidden, a WW2 veteran who told me that he captured it off a German officer during the war. Unfortunately I don't have the capture papers for it.

Cool! Thanks for sharing! Would love to see photos of the FN if that's OK with you. Sure that somd_mustangs would agree.

Jul 1, 2012
    ted76, yes indeed. ~42k or so C block would be just about the last under Zee Germans. Did you show that before? I vaguely remember seeing one on here with commercial proofs vice WaA140's. A lot of the C blocks had commercial proofs for some reason.

Jul 1, 2012
    Mawkie, is the Star about the same size as the Colt and Browning Vest Pocket? or smaller? That's an uncommonly nice one!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County

Oh wow, I hadn’t realized Mr. Whidden passed away. Really nice guy. I talked with him a couple times at my old high school and at some of the local gun shows.

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about him the other day.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Here are a couple of pictures of my FN 1922.

Attachments

• 20230104_053934.jpg
      20230104_053934.jpg
      323 KB · Views: 47
    • 20230104_055114.jpg
      20230104_055114.jpg
      259.7 KB · Views: 42
    • 20230104_055124_resized.jpg
      20230104_055124_resized.jpg
      276.9 KB · Views: 42
    Jul 1, 2012
    Anthony Vanderlinden has listed seven observed serial numbers for C suffix post liberation pistols. This example is not one of them, so the observed total gets bumped to eight.
    Nine including mine :)
    Nobody on gunboards really seemed to care about it though. I guess it's kind of a collecting niche. But I'm also not one of the kool kids over there.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Nine including mine :)
    Nobody on gunboards really seemed to care about it though. I guess it's kind of a collecting niche. But I'm also not one of the kool kids over there.
    Yeah, not much love on GB. I used to hang out there a lot years ago. Then got soured on the experience when a "resident expert" decided to make an example out of me over a minor technical issue and I decided to go somewhere else where folk were civil to each other. That's how I ended up finding MDS. The experience here has been fantastic.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Mawkie, is the Star about the same size as the Colt and Browning Vest Pocket? or smaller? That's an uncommonly nice one!
    It is. When you see it in photos it looks much bigger as you generally have the later and larger 1914 or 1919 to compare it to as they look very similar.
    IMGP9885.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    OK, that makes sense. I have to admit I was so enthralled with the FN 1922 I kind of glossed over the Star at first :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom