• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I was looking up our wholesale price on some guns at the Frederick and Chintilly shows and saw a S&W M&P 9mm that we can sell for $200 less than what the vendor had, and still make $100 net profit.

I will admit, though, at the Frederick show a vendor (can't remember who it was) had these incredible HBARs with optics, Magpul stocks, a nylon case, two magazines AND a box of ammo for $1400. That's a steal!! I almost bought one myself if it wasn't for the fact I already have two ARs...lol

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I was looking up our wholesale price on some guns at the Frederick and Chintilly shows and saw a S&W M&P 9mm that we can sell for $200 less than what the vendor had, and still make $100 net profit.

I will admit, though, at the Frederick show a vendor (can't remember who it was) had these incredible HBARs with optics, Magpul stocks, a nylon case, two magazines AND a box of ammo for $1400. That's a steal!! I almost bought one myself if it wasn't for the fact I already have two ARs...lol

it will interesting to see what profit you can earn at a gun show when you have 10 tables at $65 dollars a piece. you gotta waste a few guns just to make table money. what about your time and cost of transportation and paying help?;)

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I think our plan will work just fine and allow us to make a hefty profit for a weekend. We have a pretty unique business plan that is very different than most dealers. I guess only time will tell how things work out.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I think our plan will work just fine and allow us to make a hefty profit for a weekend. We have a pretty unique business plan that is very different than most dealers. I guess only time will tell how things work out.

Let me know when you set up I'll stop by!

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    I got into this fight in MD. late. I got back into shooting 2 years ago and into the fight for out rights more heavily last year. I go to all the gun shows I can honestly to support the shows and the dealers. I have always found something worth taking home. Maybe nothing earth shattering, but I thought a good deal. I do , and will continue to support our MD. gun shows. I agree on some points that all have presented.

Kadath

Sep 30, 2013
    I moved into MD in 2012, a month before the ban took effect I first heard about it. 2 days before it went into effect I bought a rifle and a handgun. Had I known sooner I would have bought more. I got my rifle with a shitty 10 round magazine. Had to go to VA show to buy quality 30s. That show ROCKED. With a TON of Vendors and a pile of buyers. Yesterday I went to the Timonium Show and spent more time in traffic than I did in the show. Couldnt buy shit there. No Magazines, 2-3 vendors had pistols, about the same on HBAR rifles, tons of vendors with absolute crap bipods and toy optics. NO AMMO.

Explain to me how this is my problem to fix? Or why I would want to go back?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Not to mention the show promoters charging the same admission regardless of show size. I don't mind $7-8 for a show like York, Harrisburg, or Chantilly. But I'm not paying that for a tiny show like most of the ones around here. $5 tops for a small show.

And on the topic of dealers, most not only mark up, but won't negotiate.

Promoters do not have choice as to what they pay for the venue. So the less people that go, the less they take at the door, the more they lose. If attendance continues to go down, then the price at the door goes up. BTW, how many people paid attention to the hand written sign at the front door, you know, the one that stated that $2 of every admission gets donated to the litigation efforts?

It's simple math, more people means a potential lower entry fee.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    it will interesting to see what profit you can earn at a gun show when you have 10 tables at $65 dollars a piece. you gotta waste a few guns just to make table money. what about your time and cost of transportation and paying help?;)

I sell emergency equipment for police and fire departments, try covering a booth at a firefighters convention at the cost of $800 - $1400 for a 10' x 10' space, selling products that range from $50 to a max of $250. It can be done, without raising prices, we do it and haven't changed our pricing from what we sell on the internet or even what the minimum advertised price (MAP) that the manufacturer allows us to advertise.

So, if I can do that in an industry where everyone is trying to cut everyone else by a $1 here and a $1 there to sell to agencies, it can be done by any other vendor in any other business segment.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Not to mention the show promoters charging the same admission regardless of show size. I don't mind $7-8 for a show like York, Harrisburg, or Chantilly. But I'm not paying that for a tiny show like most of the ones around here. $5 tops for a small show.

And on the topic of dealers, most not only mark up, but won't negotiate.

Well I found this show to be good at negotiating... I paid 2 or more dollars less than the asking price for all but one item that I bought. And I MORE than got my money back that I paid at the door.

Mr H is SPOT ON in what he is saying... Less folks attending means less shows to attend. Less shows to attend means LESS and LESS support for 2A in the State. So folks can sit on their humps and bitch all they want as we watch Owe Mao Li take over the rest of the sheople in the state.

It was a nice thing to get to talk to several MDS members and many young dads with their little sons in tow at the show. NEW shooters who need to know more than they do know, seeking advice from older experienced shooters who were unfortunately NOT IN ATTENDANCE to render the assistance needed.

To those who showed... Thank you for your support.

And it was nice to meet you Pinecone. :thumbsup:

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    I give a fair shake to LGS and Shows, and will buy from them when I can; however, availability, selection and cost usually determine where I ultimately spend my dollars.

This is true of anything that you seek to buy...

However a Gun Show/Sale is more than shopping. It is a chance for the crowd to walk as one in the face of those who say that we are a splintered group who mean NOTHING in Maryland Politics. A SHOW of strength that is needed to support the sport here, and the noobs who are just returning to their roots.

Yes folks can buy "standard capacity magazines" (and other goodies) out of the state... But HOW will the noobs know that if we don't tell them? How will they even know we exist if we sit home while they go to the show looking for support. And how will our LSGs survive the shows if they are beaten down because of all of their efforts never being enough for the ones that only want to attend shows that benefit NUMBER ONE?

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I'm doing as much as I can with the IP's. I almost ordered the Burris MTAC 1.5-6 online because I couldn't find it anywhere. Lo-and-behold 2A had the 1-4 and was able to order the 1.5-6 for the same price I saw it online.

It's worth looking around. Keep our local dealers in business, even if it costs you a bit more keeping their storefronts open help to show how viable they are to the local economy.

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    I see Appalachian add two new shows in Stevensville in Aug. and LaPlata in Oct.
    I can't deal with all the crowds at Chantilly and I like Va other shows and Md shows.
    Still miss the Upper Marlboro show Thanks to PG county park and planning.

Mr H

Banana'd
    This is true of anything that you seek to buy...

However a Gun Show/Sale is more than shopping. It is a chance for the crowd to walk as one in the face of those who say that we are a splintered group who mean NOTHING in Maryland Politics. A SHOW of strength that is needed to support the sport here, and the noobs who are just returning to their roots.

Yes folks can buy "standard capacity magazines" (and other goodies) out of the state... But HOW will the noobs know that if we don't tell them? How will they even know we exist if we sit home while they go to the show looking for support. And how will our LSGs survive the shows if they are beaten down because of all of their efforts never being enough for the ones that only want to attend shows that benefit NUMBER ONE?

But...

The core issue still remains.

Maryland LAW is at the center of all of this, and we need people to quit their bitching and moaning, get to Annapolis, and make this happen.

I don't care when or how they get there, but the best thing we can do is make the legislators have to ask the following question: "Why do I always have 5 or 6 people a day coming to talk gun issues?"

Pressure matters, and if not this session, then when?

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    I completely agree with Mr H. It's never a "good" time for us to contact our legislators and speak our minds. There's always work, the kids have problems, the house has problems. But, you'll be kicking yourself when the State decides to confiscate all handguns one day and you're left defenseless. Since we are all law-abiding citizens, we will comply. Some will say "you'll get my guns when you pry them from my cold dead fingers". We all know that won't happen because we all have too much to lose; family, careers, houses, you name it. We'll all just stand in line to hand in our guns and think "I could have done something about this, but I was just too busy to send an email or make a phone call. I was just too busy to take a day off and fight for what I believe in."

Did our Founding Fathers have "too much to do" to fight for their freedoms?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    But...

The core issue still remains.

Maryland LAW is at the center of all of this, and we need people to quit their bitching and moaning, get to Annapolis, and make this happen.

I don't care when or how they get there, but the best thing we can do is make the legislators have to ask the following question: "Why do I always have 5 or 6 people a day coming to talk gun issues?"

Pressure matters, and if not this session, then when?

Yes... And where else is a better place to drum up support from the new folks in the sport, than at the shows where they are trying to find out all they can about the world of firearms. There are so many who have recently purchased their first firearm and are like dry sponges trying to soak up all of the information they can. Someone other than MSM needs to be there to tell them the truth. We have all heard, and laughed at, the really stupid things that are said by the uneducated folks. Myths, old wives tales, rumors and outright lies about guns and gun laws. But how many take a moment to dispel these untruths while wondering where they got their misinformation from.

If we are to have any hope of regaining ground... it will depend on us insuring the participation of as much of the new blood as we can find.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Personally, one can support the LGS by going to their shops. Just because it's a Maryland show doesn't mean the vendors are all local.

It's business. Businesses aren't going to do anything that's not in their best interest and neither should a consumer. If the quality of the local shows are such that they are not in our best interest, we should feel free to go somewhere that is. The local shows can then improve and earn our business back or continue to fade away. If people go just to be 'loyal' to a local show, there will be no incentive to improve and hence there will be no improvement.

So, instead of an open letter to 'some of us' to encourage vendors to come to Maryland shows, I would have focused the letter towards the businesses and vendors, to encourage US customers; give US reasons to come to Maryland shows regularly. Businesses should be seeking our dollars, we shouldn't be pressured into seeking distorted ways to give them our dollars.

That's how business in America works.
    Well Said.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I can't stand the businesses who bring their kids or friends to come "help out" for the weekend and then have to listen to their "expertise" when they are preaching to someone new to guns. This new person will now take this as gospel and re preach it until he learns differently. If he ever learns differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom