• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I think in general we are talking about just a few 'most likely' scenarios where the power grid might go down for some time:

1) Weather

2) Electro-magnetic pulse (EMP) caused by detonation of a nuclear device

3) Solar storm

4) Cyber attack

Each of these might have some slightly different preparations that could help minimize such an incident; but in general, having backup batteries and/or a generator (or other means, i.e. solar panels) to produce electricity is a good step.

In general terms I like to think of preparations in three general lanes:

Short term (days) - things you need to 'get home' or 'bug out' or 'bug in' (stay home) and be comfortable/safe for just a few days. Most natural disasters fall into this category. Portable food (powerbars, canned food, etc.)

Mid term (weeks/months) - something that causes a major disruption in water, electricity, food, safety, etc. that goes on for weeks or months. (canned food, freeze-dried food, dry beans/rice, etc.)

Long term (year+) - a significant event that seriously disrupts vital/essential services for a year or longer. For food, being able to garden and raise livestock.

My understanding is that in a normal power outage (not EMP, or cyberattack, or solar storm), your gas, propane, natural-gas, etc. generator will work until you run out of go juice. Even when you have no electricity, natural gas will continue to flow and be available for a longer period of time. I'd love to hear from an expert on this. The logic that I heard was that (like cable tv/phone), the natural-gas stations can run on backup power even in a power outage. I know some folks that have taken fairly extreme measures, and have installed in-ground propane tanks so they know they will have so much kilowatt hours of electricity during an emergency.

Highest power concerns and priorities for most of us: medical devices, keeping medicines refrigerated, sump-pump, heating/cooling, communication, lighting, power tools, lights, etc. Plan, then test your plan.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Don't know if it's accurate, but I recall reading an estimate that natural gas would flow for about three weeks before the pressure would drop off.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Don't know if it's accurate, but I recall reading an estimate that natural gas would flow for about three weeks before the pressure would drop off.

Same here, for some reason I vaguely recall this ~about a month~ being the ballpark advice I thought too. That timeline (if true, and hopefully someone with some expertise will chime in) would get most of us through most situations.

Any event longer than several months, and it would be a major game changer; literally the end of life as we know it (if national event). This is why I can't in good faith recommend any preps beyond a year. Learn to garden (practice) and have some seeds on hand (just in case).

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Same here, for some reason I vaguely recall this ~about a month~ being the ballpark advice I thought too. That timeline (if true, and hopefully someone with some expertise will chime in) would get most of us through most situations.

I'm sure that's based on the weather too. In the middle of the summer natural gas consumption would be low so the pressure should stay longer. During a polar vortex kiss it goodbye in no time.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I'm becoming a big fan of owning a huge underground propane tank, along with a few propane fireplaces, and a small propane (multi-fuel) generator. That is how one of my neighbors is set up.

I can heat this house during the winter on about 400 gallons of propane. I'm guessing that a 1000 gallon tank would get me through a year. That's much less obvious than burning wood to heat a house.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Everyone should remember some preparation is better than none. Don't be intimidated by the size of the problem of having a YEARS supply of everything! Start simply and get prepared for that few days outage because of the weather. Then work on extending that so you could last a few weeks. By then you will be a confirmed prepper and eventually reach the goal of self sufficiency.

The few days disruption happens much more frequently than more serious ones so start there and work your way up. The mid term disruptions although not common do happen to various areas with major storms (remember Katrina), earthquakes, volcano or tsunamis and cover fairly large regions. The really long term disruptions are often life changing and in recent history have usually happened because of wars but the Dust Bowl also comes to mind. The only truly global disruptions effecting human populations I can think of have been medical ones such as the Spanish Flu or the Black Plague.

The boy Scouts had it right "Be Prepared"!

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    I'm in a neighborhood with a buried community propane tank. It is the size of a tractor trailer and like 30,000 gallons iirc. 115 of 485 houses built so far and I'm the only one with a tri fuel generator that I know of. They are going to add another one after X amount of houses and then another after X amount more and so on from what I recall.

Is the tank for propane heat normally? How do they meter and charge each home?

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    The biggest problem post EMP... what would we do without Maryland Shooters???

I'd guess we'd all have more time for brain tanning, wood chopping, and other sorts of productive activities. Doesn't sound like fun to me :-)
    If you're smart (and I know you are), you've already established the community outside/inside the community...know who and where... You'll carry on. Just with a closer, non-net subset.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Although I have a large buried propane tank and generator set, I have been looking for info on steam powered generators.

My theory is when the propane and gas dry up, you just use some wood to run the thing.

But I'm not finding much practical info on this. I think the main reason is the danger and qualifications needed to safely run a steam plant without blowing it up.

Anyone else look in to this?

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I finished reading One Second After just about 30 minutes ago. Wow. My stocking solar powered lights suddenly doesn't seem very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I finished reading One Second After just about 30 minutes ago. Wow. My stocking solar powered lights suddenly doesn't seem very helpful.
    I need to finish this book. I started and keep forgetting to get back to reading it.

I've also started listening to this podcast on prepping again: http://survivalistprepper.net/

The guy is a little annoying but they bring up some good points on how to prepp and still live in our society.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I downloaded one second after this morning. Will get to it soon. I saw there is a sequel as well - one year after.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Although I have a large buried propane tank and generator set, I have been looking for info on steam powered generators.

My theory is when the propane and gas dry up, you just use some wood to run the thing.

But I'm not finding much practical info on this. I think the main reason is the danger and qualifications needed to safely run a steam plant without blowing it up.

Anyone else look in to this?

You need to sign up for the Steam School at Rough and Tumble Engineers Historical Association in Kinzers, PA, it will teach you how to run steam engines. The school is held in the spring and is full every year including this year, the sign up will be at the Time of Harvest Show show October 7, 2016, for the May 2017 school, and if you don't sign up the first thing in the morning when they start taking applications you will be too late as there are only 27 students accepted.

Here is a link to the web site:
    http://www.roughandtumble.org/

And a link to the Steam School:
    http://www.roughandtumble.org/viewreference/53/eventschedules/

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If the fan gets hit really hard I will be establishing my blacksmith shop to make a number of things that I think will be in high demand such as:
    Axes
    Crosscut saws
    Hoes
    Cultivators
    Long spring leg hold traps
    Single bottom plows pullable by ATV, horse, or wife
    Well pumps
    etc.

The question you need to ask yourselves is:
    What do I have or can make or grow that I can trade for what I need that the Blacksmith, Cooper, Shoemaker, Weaver, Potter, Miller or other trades person will want so they will barter?

Because if it gets bad credit/debit cards won't work. Paper money will be good for starting fires. Gold and silver will saturate the market and you'll eventually will run out. Things will be reduced to barter or steal and thieves won't get a slap on the wrist, more likely to be cut off at the wrist. So what do you plan to barter?

If you don't have an after TEOTWAWKI skill now is the time to learn and practice it so you develop the skill to a journeyman level. It needs to be something that will be in demand and something that you can sustain without today's infra structure (I told my dentist he needed to look for a hand powered drill like they used to use). The second paragraph lists a few trades to get your thinking started.

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    If the fan gets hit really hard I will be establishing my blacksmith shop to make a number of things that I think will be in high demand such as:
    Axes
    Crosscut saws
    Hoes
    Cultivators
    Well pumps
    etc.

What do I have or can make or grow that I can trade for what I need that the Blacksmith, Cooper, Shoemaker, Weaver, Potter, Miller or other trades person will want so they will barter?

Because if it gets bad credit/debit cards won't work. Paper money will be good for starting fires. Gold and silver will saturate the market and you'll eventually will run out. Things will be reduced to barter or steal and thieves won't get a slap on the wrist, more likely to be cut off at the wrist. So what do you plan to barter?

If you don't have an after TEOTWAWKI skill now is the time to learn and practice it so you develop the skill to a journeyman level. It needs to be something that will be in demand and something that you can sustain without today's infra structure (I told my dentist he needed to look for a hand powered drill like they used to use). The second paragraph lists a few trades to get your thinking started.
    You continue to impress me with your sage wisdom.

You are spot on.

Wish you were closer to down here.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Axes
    Crosscut saws
    Hoes
    Cultivators
    Well pumps
    etc.

Good advice.

There are lots of simple tradeskills that would be in demand that one could easily learn and stockpile a lifetime supply of tools and materials without breaking the bank and could be rewarding hobbies in the meantime.

Sharpening knives, home brewing beer, cleaning game, raising game, selecting and rough cutting timber, building cages and traps, making fishing nets, spinning tread

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom