• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lightyear68

Feb 1, 2016
    This video shows what National Geographic predicts could happen after 10 days with the power grid down across America. Think it's far fetched?

My neighbor's a cyber security expert with the feds and he has convinced me that this is a very real scenario. A whacky neighbor you say? I thought that at first.

Then I attended his military retirement and listened to high level brass and government officials saying he was among the best cyber security experts in the country.

And by the way...he's a prepper.

Boxtop

Sep 17, 2010
    Harford County
    This video shows what National Geographic predicts could happen after 10 days with the power grid down across America. Think it's far fetched?

My neighbor's a cyber security expert with the feds and he has convinced me that this is a very real scenario. A whacky neighbor you say? I thought that at first.

Then I attended his military retirement and listened to high level brass and government officials saying he was among the best cyber security experts in the country.

And by the way...he's a prepper.

But could the power grid really be taken down across the country at the same time? I mean it isn't totally connected is it? I guess it could go out for a whole city or maybe even a region but country wide all at once? That would take a bit of coordination wouldn't it?

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    I have direct work experience in cyber security and telcom/utilities. Trust me, it wouldn't be hard. The infrastructure is not hardened to any great extent, both in physical terms and cyber/network terms. And yes, the grid is interconnected, although there are some smaller groupings, Eastern, Western and Texas.

UnitedStatesPowerGrid.jpg

Boxtop

Sep 17, 2010
    Harford County
    I have direct work experience in cyber security and telcom/utilities. Trust me, it wouldn't be hard. The infrastructure is not hardened to any great extent, both in physical terms and cyber/network terms. And yes, the grid is interconnected, although there are some smaller groupings, Eastern, Western and Texas.

UnitedStatesPowerGrid.jpg

I see.

Thanks.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Texas would probably stand the best chance of staying up on it's own, The Western Interconnect has so much space to cover and not enough infrastructure, and the Eastern Interconnect is a mishmash of new and old. A high altitude EMP will take it most or all the way down in a hurry. Beyond that, the best hope for the future is compartmentalizing, or microgridding.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The grid is supposed to have numerous disconnects to stop a widespread blackout ... but over and over we see that it often doesn't work, but still I cannot see anything short of a major sophisticated enemy attack bringing down the entire grid from more than 4 or 5 days before "normalcy" started to return across most of the country.

They might be able to hack a region for a week, but more than a region and more than a week I doubt.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Didn't a tree take down part of the grid coming in from Canada back in say 2009ish

I forget the exact date, but yes, it was the one that blacked out NYC. Cascading failure is what it is called, and it is a very real threat.

The newer equipment has safety mechanisms built in to just shut down in that sort of case, but the older crap just gets zorched.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304071004579409631825984744

Read that, it talks about how it could take 2 years plus to replace the transformers in certain instances. That's what should scare you.

Get a generator, or better yet a home backup system that runs on propane or natural gas. Supplement it with solar or wind, and you'll be in better shape than 99.99999% of the population.

Lightyear68

Feb 1, 2016
    That being said, this thread probably belongs somewhere other than the MD 2A Issues subforum.

Read below.

Get a generator, or better yet a home backup system that runs on propane or natural gas. Supplement it with solar or wind, and you'll be in better shape than 99.99999% of the population.

How are we going to protect our generator, solar panels, food, and water?

Yep, that's why this thread is in the 2A forum.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    But could the power grid really be taken down across the country at the same time? I mean it isn't totally connected is it? I guess it could go out for a whole city or maybe even a region but country wide all at once? That would take a bit of coordination wouldn't it?

Lights Out by Ted Koppel

One Second After by William Forstchen

Read them. The answer is yes via several methods.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    The grid is supposed to have numerous disconnects to stop a widespread blackout ... but over and over we see that it often doesn't work, but still I cannot see anything short of a major sophisticated enemy attack bringing down the entire grid from more than 4 or 5 days before "normalcy" started to return across most of the country.

They might be able to hack a region for a week, but more than a region and more than a week I doubt.

Wrong. The system can be made to melt itself down and physically destroy itself.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    So China sneaks in 20 expert mortar teams as grad school students and ferries the equipment across the Canadian border via snowmobile in late winter and waits until the hottest day in August to have them destroy the 20 largest most critical substations ... the Pacific Fleet aircraft carriers are called back to supply power and desaled water to Los Angeles and Seattle ... China then procedes to play Hokie Pokie on Taiwan while half the US is sweating for the first time in their spoiled lives and complaining that their AC and internet doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom