• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =GoMango=

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 26, 2012
    Anne Arundel Co.
    I never have to show ID when I buy ammo...I would stop going to that store

I don't get carded for beer anymore either but I'm pretty sure if I sent my ten year old son in any store to get beer or shotgun shells there might be a problem.

If Internet dealers are asking for proof of age it's safe to assume they have already been hit with some type of citation/fine or whatever because a minor bought ammo from them.

Get a C&R , mail it to them and end of problem ;)

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Tell that to New Jersey.

I think the difference is New Joisey has mostly outlawed possession of firearms, whereas Maryland's kooky laws only regulate sales.
    And because of the commerce clause of the Constitution, they can only regulate in-state sales.

Perfectly legal to own a CZ82 in Maryland, just not legal to sell one within the state. So you can buy one from another state and import it into Maryland if you are an FFL (including C&R), but you can't sell it inside MD once you own it. And so the threads about driving over the PA line, conducting the FFL-03 to FFL-03 transaction, then coming home.

TreadNot

May 11, 2012
    Bel Air
    Got a reply from AIM:

It's recently come to our attention that ANY handgun, regardless of its C&R eligibility, made 1984 must be on the approved list. The CZ-82 is not and we don't have any that were made prior to '85.
    Thanks,
    Stephen

I'm assuming he meant to say "made [after] 1984".

Does this jive with any Maryland regs?

Last edited:

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Thats a load of crap. It's like c33m0n3y spelled out in his post on the first page. Marylands law says that IN MARYLAND you cannot sell... Maryland has no jurisdiction to limit interstate sales on a federal license.

The law doesn't say you can't purchase or recieve (like with 30 rnd mags)... it says you can't SELL. You aren't SELLING one here by buying it from AIM. They most be getting heat from somewhere. You could try sending them a copy of the law and showing what it sites but I doubt they'll do anything for you. Just buy somewhere else.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I know the MD AG's office is the enemy these days but would there be any benefit to trying to get a clarification from them, which if answered in our favor we could forward to AIM and others who may have misinformation on this subject?

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I know the MD AG's office is the enemy these days but would there be any benefit to trying to get a clarification from them, which if answered in our favor we could forward to AIM and others who may have misinformation on this subject?

Already done and covered in the C&R sticky FAQ at the top of the C&R forum:

Can I buy C&R handguns with my C&R license and have them delivered directly to my door in Maryland?
    According to an MD Attorney General letter that has been widely circulated on the Internet, you can in fact buy handguns with your C&R License however it is not their "official" opinion. Many on this board have done it and I have not read anything that says it is illegal.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1787&d=1203650575

Remember, the handgun roster covers in-state sales, not FFL-to-FFL interstate purchases. Thats how gun shops have new handguns before they are on the roster. They can legally buy and import them, they just can't sell them. It's the same for C&R.

Here is relevant part of Maryland's code:
    Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-406 (2012)

§ 5-406. Manufacture or sale of handguns

(a) Prohibitions. --

[...]

(2) A person may not sell or offer for sale in the State a handgun manufactured after January 1, 1985, that is not included on the handgun roster.

That doesn't say anything about buying from outside of Maryland and importing a handgun not on the roster, if you can otherwise legally do so.

Mind you, IANAL.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Already done and covered in the C&R sticky FAQ at the top of the C&R forum:

Mind you, IANAL.

I wasn't really speaking to the general C&R issue but rather to the issue of handguns manufactured after 1984. AIM will ship C&R items including pistols as long as they are manufactured prior to 1985. The CZs AIM is selling now are 1985 vintage and they have been told or have interpreted Maryland's law regarding the need for an FFL transfer for any handgun manufactured after 1984 to include C&R items. I think I'll draft a letter to the AG or MSP (since that is where the AG got it's information in the letter you linked) and see what I get back. Obviously, I'll share any response I get.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Reread my post. I was ninja-editing while you were responding. :)

A C&R handgun manufactured after 1984 and not on the roster can't be sold in Maryland. But it can be imported by an FFL.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Reread my post. I was ninja-editing while you were responding. :)

A C&R handgun manufactured after 1984 and not on the roster can't be sold in Maryland. But it can be imported by an FFL.

:) I prepared my response, went back to look at it and your response had doubled in size! :) Nevertheless, while I agree with you, unless we can get some sort of official response from the AG or the MSP, places like AIM are going to continue to misinterpret what this crazy state allows and what it doesn't... to our detriment.

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    I hear ya, Mike. And thank you for making the effort to get a response from the AG or MDSP. Good luck! Seriously! :thumbsup:

Meanwhile. Let's go shooting sometime. :D

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I don't get carded for beer anymore either but I'm pretty sure if I sent my ten year old son in any store to get beer or shotgun shells there might be a problem.

If Internet dealers are asking for proof of age it's safe to assume they have already been hit with some type of citation/fine or whatever because a minor bought ammo from them.

Get a C&R , mail it to them and end of problem ;)

No.

They don't sell ANY ammo unless you are 21. Not even rifle ammo.

Nixon

Jun 28, 2010
    I just don"t understand some people on here. Don"t you all realize very little good can come out of writing letters like this to the AG office, but a whole lot of bad could happen. The solution is for someone to submit it to the roster.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I am going to ask my local IP to submit my CZ-82 (looks like an '87 made gun?) to the roster when I bring in some other stuff for gunsmithing work. HOPEFULLY that will be this week. Note that this is not exactly a free operation, given that you have to ship the gun to the roster board.

I'm sure it will be approved. If not, well, the roster board can pay me for it and we'll all have learned a valuable lesson.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Your other option is to buy on the secondary market...but if someone DOES get it on the Roster, the problem goes away fast.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Your other option is to buy on the secondary market...but if someone DOES get it on the Roster, the problem goes away fast.

New or used, doesn't matter - if it's a post-'85 manufacture handgun and isn't on the roster, it can't be sold within the state of Maryland.

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    I am going to ask my local IP to submit my CZ-82 (looks like an '87 made gun?) to the roster when I bring in some other stuff for gunsmithing work. HOPEFULLY that will be this week. Note that this is not exactly a free operation, given that you have to ship the gun to the roster board.

I'm sure it will be approved. If not, well, the roster board can pay me for it and we'll all have learned a valuable lesson.

At last - the man with the solution! Thank you! And thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom