• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Did you check the gas key for obstruction or constriction? Run a piece of string trimmer line through it all the way into the piston cylinder(where the tail of the bolt resides).

Gas key is clean, piston and rings look good.
    Bolt moves freely, gas is clean all the way through, ammo is solid and it wasn't cycling. I'm baffled.

outrider58

Here's looking at you kid
    MDS Supporter
    Fine as far as I can tell.
    Is it possible the port was clogged and I fixed it by hammering out the gas block pins?

Doubtful. You mean the gun just stopped cycling? What did you try in order to figure out what the problem was?

With the myriad of ammunition available to the AR platform, an adjustable GB is paramount, especially when switching from suppressed to non-suppressed operation. For now, I'll keep my SLR.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I was shooting it suppressed with no issues. Took the suppressor off and it stopped cycling. I should have put the can back on but I was done for the day so just didn't think of it. I say stopped cycling because the round would fire and not eject. I didn't feel the bolt so I assumed it wasn't moving. All I did was cycle a few rounds manually with the charging handle which seemed fine. I just 'assumed' a gas issue and packed up. I guess I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. From now on I'll test as much as I need to with live ammo before I leave the range. I'll need to adjust the new block this weekend. If it still has an issue I'll come back with better info.

outrider58

MDS Supporter
    I was shooting it suppressed with no issues. Took the suppressor off and it stopped cycling. I should have put the can back on but I was done for the day so just didn't think of it. I say stopped cycling because the round would fire and not eject. I didn't feel the bolt so I assumed it wasn't moving. All I did was cycle a few rounds manually with the charging handle which seemed fine. I just 'assumed' a gas issue and packed up. I guess I'll chalk it up as a lesson learned. From now on I'll test as much as I need to with live ammo before I leave the range. I'll need to adjust the new block this weekend. If it still has an issue I'll come back with better info.

How many rounds since the last cleaning? Running suppressed with a standard GB should lead to over gas problems ie; exaggerated bolt travel(but you said you weren't feeling the bolt). Also more fouling from boosted back pressure developed from the can. How dirty was the rifle at that point? I do recommend field stripping the rifle and BCG, clean it and give it a good going over before your next range trip if you haven't already done that.
    Hopefully Chad will pick up on this and help you out.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Did the gun ever run before you installed the can? Cans add "backpressure".

It sounds like the gun is undergassed or the ammo is at fault. The Gas Key could be leaking, the Buffer could be too heavy, the buffer spring could be too heavy.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I usually shoot my AR suppressed but took the can off this weekend and it didn't cycle.
    I'm guessing that it's clogged up. If I have to take it apart anyway I'm considering a low profile adjustable gas block. Am I on the right track? any recommendations on the gas block?

I put together an AR after having parts cerakoted. I thought I had the gas block lined up correct since the barrel was dimpled. But, I wasn't using the old gas block, I was putting on a new SLR.

It cycled suppressed. Without a suppressor it was a cool looking single shot. I sent it up to Chad and he verified what I suspected. The gas block was not straight and at least half the port was blocked. I said lots of bad words.

I wonder if the same thing happened with yours?

camobob

Feb 18, 2013

It sounds like the gun is undergassed or the ammo is at fault. The Gas Key could be leaking, the Buffer could be too heavy, the buffer spring could be too heavy.

Gun ran without the can but it's been ~2 or 3k rounds suppressed only.
    I took the buffer out and it appears okay - no sign of binding or anything like that. I was shooting Federal XM193. I like Federal because I personally have never had an issue with it. Gun wasn't spotless but it wasn't excessively fouled either. It probably had 150 rounds since the last cleaning and I sprayed the action with WD40 before using it. When I took it apart there was a light coating of oily residue that wiped off easily. I'm not a gunsmith but decent with my hands and common sense (usually) - i didn't see any alarming wear patterns. Ejector looks good and spring is tight. gas system from the barrel port to the piston rings all looked good to me. Have you ever experienced and issue with XM193? 4 rounds in a row????

outrider58

MDS Supporter

One other thing that came to me(at about 3 am:o), lubrication.

How do you lubricate your gun camobob? Are you keeping it wet(you should be)?

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    One other thing that came to me(at about 3 am:o), lubrication.

How do you lubricate your gun camobob? Are you keeping it wet(you should be)?

There's a joke in there somewhere but I'm gonna resist.
    My guns are always wet. I'm no "operator" and I don't play in sand so I oil everything.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    I got the SLR and was hoping to use it with my existing Magpul hand guards. Unfortunately, the way the SLR locates the gas tube too high for the hole in the triangular plate thingy that retains the hand guard. I could ream the plate but usually when I make the hole bigger or hit something a little harder I end up regretting it.
    Anyone else run into this?

outrider58

MDS Supporter
    I got the SLR and was hoping to use it with my existing Magpul hand guards. Unfortunately, the way the SLR locates the gas tube too high for the hole in the triangular plate thingy that retains the hand guard. I could ream the plate but usually when I make the hole bigger or hit something a little harder I end up regretting it.
    Anyone else run into this?

Well since you've done away with your FSB, why not go free float hand guard? Just about all will accommodate the SLR block(besides, anything will look better than MP hand guards:D). My 2 cents.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    Well since you've done away with your FSB, why not go free float hand guard? Just about all will accommodate the SLR block(besides, anything will look better than MP hand guards:D). My 2 cents.

I kind of like the MP guards. I'm simple that way I guess.
    I looked at rails - they're expensive!
    Is there a reasonably priced slim guard with a top rail?
    I don't need much bling to plink so I can do without quad rails, keymod, etc. Price, quality and a really solid attachment would be important to me.

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom